PI's won't fit behind the HD cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PI's won't fit behind the HD cage

I am currently using DDR2 1000 Gskill 2x2 sticks and am thinking of jumping on those DDR2 1200 sticks at new egg for the phenomenal price of 220$ - yes, please don't be shy, make jokes about it, lol, but I am interested in running a higher ratio that 1:1 with my Q9650 on my UD3R board. My problem is the HD cage I have setup is in front of the DIMM slot area on the board. I've pre-tested the fit with my DDR2 900 PI's and they are a 1/4 inch too tall. Can the Heatspreader be swapped for a different type or can I special order the 1200's with a different heat spreader? Thanks, I'm crazy,

Chicken

Guessing you currently have the F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ or the F2-8000CL5D-2GBPK (the Q is the darker blue that sorta matches the blue on the mobo. You could use the spreaders from them on the PIs, (you mentioned having 900s, can try it on them, it works), be cautioned though, it will void the warranty.

Have you thought of modding the rig? Removing the drive bay?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The way I have the case setup, that place is the only place I can stick my HD cage. I'm using a Lian Li 1100b and the res is located at the 5-1/4 bay area with the tubing running straight up through the case to the 320 RAD. The bottom is clear for the wiring and air flow to the PSU. Plus I have my drain/fill port on the bottom... So, my only option is with that cage there. On a side note, it is nice. It's a double rubber grommet mounted setup. The cage sits on 4 grommets while the HD is mounted by 4 more grommets. It's just in the way, heh. Those spreaders on the PI's don't seem to do a whole lot. At any rate, I do have active cooling over that area with 2 120x38mm fans blowing over the DIMM slots and NB area....

sigh

Comment

The spreaders on the PIs seem to be rather cosmetic, they work, don't get me wrong, but not really any better than the ones on your 1000 sticks. I'm running the 1066 PIs on your same mobo using the blue sinks from some 800 GSkill (like the looks).

How's the 9650 run on this board, been thinking about getting one, heard they are dropping the prices again in a few weeks. I'm currently running a Q6600 @ 3.3, w/ 8GB 1066 and a BFG 285 OC2. It'll run 3.6 on air but get's a bit warmer than I like. (interestingly, it runs a bit cooler under Win7 64 than Vista 64, about 3 degrees or so)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

9 1/2 hrs using Prime95 blend at 8.5x500fsb 4gb 2x2 - people are also doing 8gb 4x2

Comment

Sounds like fun, may have to go ahead and order one. Hope all goes well with the RAM, keep me posted.

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by mychickenisburning View Post

I am currently using DDR2 1000 Gskill 2x2 sticks and am thinking of jumping on those DDR2 1200 sticks at new egg for the phenomenal price of 220$ - yes, please don't be shy, make jokes about it, lol, but I am interested in running a higher ratio that 1:1 with my Q9650 on my UD3R board. My problem is the HD cage I have setup is in front of the DIMM slot area on the board. I've pre-tested the fit with my DDR2 900 PI's and they are a 1/4 inch too tall. Can the Heatspreader be swapped for a different type or can I special order the 1200's with a different heat spreader? Thanks, I'm crazy,

Chicken

I understand your thought because I also moded my case with watercooling system before

but as manufacturer, we have to say that the heat spreader can't be changed or removed as special case
              what we concern about is warranty
              removing the heat spreader may damage the chip inside
              and we don't have customizing service to the heat spreader for end users
              so, we have to say sorry about that...

however, personally, I would not care about the warranty if such issue occurs
              I would remove the heat spreader myself, of course it would be done in the safe way
              or you could consider about purchasing another model, such as PQ or PK series

thanks

G.S

Comment

Thank you for the reply Gskill

I think if they weren't that expensive I'd toy around with the idea, but currently I am doing fine with the 1000's at 1:1 - I was just considering a different ratio.

Cheers and thanks again,

Chicken

Comment

Have a gud 1 !

Tman

Comment

You too man

Comment

Working...
                    X