• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8v or 1.9v

F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
    GA-EP45-UD3R
    C2D 8400

I am running 8gigs F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ (4 matched 2g sticks)
    Would it be advantageous to run at 1.9 under ram heavy application usage, such as CS4 panorama stitching?

or

Under what situations should I volt my ram at 1.9 as opposed to 1.8.
    No overclocking at all.

Thank you.

Not unless you run into problems. If it's stable, it's best to keep it at the lowest voltage possible, within specs.

Primarily OCing or is won't remain stable under load.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Did I not read that when all 4 slots are populated, 1.9 may be preferred under heavy memory use?

I am getting a paging operation notice that halfheartedly fades in and out while saving very large raw files to disk.

Comment

Depending on the notice you're getting you may need to increase the size of your paging file on the hard drive (virtual memory) not RAM, that's where the system swaps out out data on the run.

As to 1.9, you can increase it to that if you wish, keeping the voltage on the low end is a personal preference of mine as it decreases the heat in the system.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the replys.

I have built 2 identical machines, the notice is occurring on a machine not in my hands. I've sent the link to this thread to the person experiencing some anomalys, he will pick this up and give the indications.

Comment

If it helps any, here's a decent article on the paging file (this pertains to Vista, not sure what OS you are running, but it's similar from one to another)

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2156251,00.asp

will check in and keep a watch for when the other system's info is posted

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by jmagg View Post
              F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
              GA-EP45-UD3R
              C2D 8400

I am running 8gigs F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ (4 matched 2g sticks)
              Would it be advantageous to run at 1.9 under ram heavy application usage, such as CS4 panorama stitching?

or

Under what situations should I volt my ram at 1.9 as opposed to 1.8.
              No overclocking at all.

Thank you.
              there is no need to add memory voltage if you already run it stable
              increasing voltage may improve stability while overclocking or running with 4 sticks
              it is not related to heavy load or not
              thanks

G.S

Comment

I beg to differ with GSkill on their explanation. You can take a system that is stable for one user, doing minimal or everyday computing and all might be fine with a system like Jmagg's with 4 sticks, but then if you put a power user on multitasking and running memory intensive programs, it can adversely affect the stability to where you might want to up the voltage and/or change the timings.

Generally this doesn't happen, which is why I suggest running the minimal voltage (per spec) when you can....but, yes, running very heavy loads can affect the need to change voltage to remain stable.

Tman

Comment

if increasing memory voltage would make stability better while loading heavily, it should mean it is unstable with default voltage

G.S

Comment

No it doesn't, and note I provided an example as well as saying 'generally' this doesn't happen, which it doesn't. You can take any number of stable systems and they will run fine in basic use...never a problem. But, put a true power user on the system, pushing it to the limits (simulations, multi-tasking, gaming, etc and it can BSOD. Up the RAM voltage a click and it will remain stable. It doesn't often happen, but yes it does and can be easily duplicated, in particular with systems that are bottle necked in a slow CPU to graphics card combo or vice versa.

I am talking real world computing in these instances, not what you might encounter in a lab type environment running synthetic benchmarks as you do in your lab.

I've seen the same thing with your support operations and your SSDs, where your support people have told me that your advertised speeds, are in fact 'real-world speeds' which in fact they are not...your own people (a few of them have admitted that the advertised speeds are those one might encounter under perfect conditions, especially after I challenged them to run their synthetic benchmarks while downloading a file, surfing the net, using a graphics program, etc.
                    Last edited by Tradesman; 04-20-2009, 05:47 PM.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X