• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8500CL5-4GBPK vs 8500CL5-2GBHK

Asus Commando
    E8400 multiplier set to 7
    Enermax 500 watt PSU
    Video Card: Nvidia 8500 GT 512

I had installled 8500CL5-2GBHK 2 x 1GB with 2.375 V, FSB set to 533 and DDR seting to 1066, running in slot 1 and slot 3

upon boot this would read PC8000 and boot right up and ran with no problems

I have now bought 8500CL5-4GBPK 2 x 2GB

removed the old ram and installed the new one and the system booted right up and I set the spec according to what was on the stickers, lowered the voltage to 2.050 and the FSB to 533 and ram setting to 1066

reboot but it just hangs and no bios anything

okay shut off power and restart the computer

reset to 500 FSB and 1000 DDR setting

reboot and the computer fires right up

why would this happen as according to the website this ram should work in a p965 system

it runs fine at 500 FSB and DDR1000 but I would like to have the ram run at 1:1

Is it true that the ram will work better at 1:1 setting?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by goldenone; 03-29-2009, 05:35 AM.

Believe your mobo is rated only up to 800, Tomshardware did a review on your RAM though and got some interesting results with different timings, might give it a try

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ir,1627-6.html

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

running at 1:1 is much harsh for DDR2 1066
      would you like to try at 333/1066 to see if it could worrk at DDR2 1066?
      Thanks

G.S

Comment

I found out from the dealer that this ram is NOT set to run on the P965. He gave me a full refund and then gave me a set of 8500CL5-2GBPK 2 x 1GB. He also gave me all the settings according to G Skill and I set up the system and it said PC8000 upon reboot and now runs great. I asked where I could get warranty on one of my sticks that quit last week, I told him that I bought them at another shop, he said bring them to me and I will take care of it. By the way the 8500CL5-2GBHK even with only 1GB was still fast. When you double click photoshop once you release the mouse, photoshop is already loaded!!! I have now switched over to Win XP 64 bit as I plan on filling all four slots with ram and see what that does. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Believe your mobo is rated only up to 800, Tomshardware did a review on your RAM though and got some interesting results with different timings, might give it a try

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ir,1627-6.html
          Yes this board is rated only to 800 but with the right ram you can go to 1066.

G Skill has been the only ram that will allow me to do that. I will look at that article.

Thanks

Comment

I'm living proof the 2GBPK of this ram will not run @1066 on the P5B Deluxe (P965) motherboard. GSkill claims it will at 1066 FSB and 266 cpu frequency or 1333 FSB and 355 cpu frequency. I'm here to tell you it will not. I have 4-1GB sticks and it will only run @ 800MHz. Using only 2 sticks doesn't do it either. At present, i'm using all 4 sticks with my E8400 set at 400 and DRAM at 800. I had Crucial DDR21066 that worked fine on this motherboard. Even overclocked it to 1125MHz.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenone View Post
              I found out from the dealer that this ram is NOT set to run on the P965. He gave me a full refund and then gave me a set of 8500CL5-2GBPK 2 x 1GB. He also gave me all the settings according to G Skill and I set up the system and it said PC8000 upon reboot and now runs great. I asked where I could get warranty on one of my sticks that quit last week, I told him that I bought them at another shop, he said bring them to me and I will take care of it. By the way the 8500CL5-2GBHK even with only 1GB was still fast. When you double click photoshop once you release the mouse, photoshop is already loaded!!! I have now switched over to Win XP 64 bit as I plan on filling all four slots with ram and see what that does. Thanks for all the help.

if yu would like to run with 4 sticks on P965 chipset, try to increase FSB and NB voltage to 1.4-1.5v
              it would improve the stability while running with 4 sticks
              thanks

G.S

Comment

Working...
              X