F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK & Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Findings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK & Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Findings

I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1 and I recently bought 4x2GB of the F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK. Before I bought, I read tons of questions about running 8gb at 1066mhz with some people having issues or just wondering if it works. I wanted to post my findings here because there might be others out there that want to use this ram on this motherboard or want to use this amount on this motherboard.

Before the F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK I had 4x1GB Kingston 667mhz (from a my previous motherboard). I had this ram running at 712mhz 5-5-5-15 on 1.8v. I received my F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK sticks today and popped out the Kingston. I put all 4 G.Skill's in and booted up to see what would happen. The Gigabyte was lost in a constant reboot cycle, this was because I didn't set the memory settings to manual before I pulled the Kingston out which means it was trying to run 4x2GB on 1.8v. I pulled 2 sticks out, leaving 2 of the G.Skill in and it booted. I put in the following settings:

CPU Multiplier = 8
    FSB = 400
    MCH Latch = 400
    MCH Multiplier? = 2.66
    Memory Voltage = 2.02 (interesting point on this later)

This put my CPU at 3.2GHz and my ram at 1066mhz.

I went into Windows Memory Diagnostic and ran it. It passed 2 tests with no issues. I then booted into Windows and everything loaded fast and fine. I've since run through 2 hours of OCCT Linpack testing without any problem.

A few interesting things that might help out G.Skill tech's:
    This memory shows up automatically at 1066mhz with the proper timings and voltage with everything on auto on the UD3P. There is one issue with 4x2gb stick setup. With 2x2gb the automatic voltage is 2.0 and the bios reads it at 2.0, but when you put in 4x2gb it still detects it at 2.0 but the actual voltage drops to 1.9xx (I forget what, might have been 1.96 or so). So there is only memory voltage droop with 4 sticks so I set it to 2.02v (the next step up) and it's currently around 2.015 or so.

I have tried to overclock a bit but I got a bsod while running over 1100mhz in OCCT Linpack. I could probably get up there but I don't really want to mess with the voltages and timings now.

I hope this post helps some people in deciding what they need and how the memory works with this board.

BTW, G.Skill, I think you earned a lifetime customer

Nate, you forgot to mention how well the color matches the mobo...just kidding, but it does give a nice appearance too. Glad it worked out for you without any real problems.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hehe I'm not really into the baby blue thing but they do match perfectly with the color of the blue PCI-E x16 slot for what it's worth.

I might come back for help on overclocking but I'm happy having these run at rated for now.

Comment

Have fun, 8GB is a wonderful thing, depending on your video card, you may see that performance increase some also, my 285 has 1GB of RAM, and with 8 installed, it picks up almost another 2 full GB, so it has almost 3 total available.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

to Nate:

you could try to increase FSB voltage to 1.4-1.5v and memory voltage to 2.1v to make it more stable to run with 4 sticks
          and you may need to use 64bit OS to get total 8GB to work or you could use ramdisk in 32bit OS to get all memory used
          thanks

G.S

Comment

Working...
          X