F2-6400cl5d-4gbpq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400cl5d-4gbpq

I recently bought more RAM for my computer, a 2x2GB F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ RAM set.
    I previously had a 2x1GB F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ RAM set in my computer. Both these DO work, but only seperately.

I have a :
    MSI P6N SLI Platinum (MS-7350) motherboard and a
    DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6420, 2200 MHz (8 x 275) CPU
    Window Vista Ultimate 32-bit

When I first did my boot (with both chips), the computer showed the initial start up and then showed a blue screen for a tenth of a second, which I could not see anything. After that, the comp restarted and froze at the vista start up screen. Everytime I tried rebooting afterwards, it froze at the vista start up screen.

My brother informs me that RAM is supposed to be placed in pairs like slot 1,3 and 2,4. I placed my RAM in the same colored slots. I will try this way after this post. Are there any other possible problems?

Thanks for being the one RAM company I rely on for all my computers,
    Peter

it is the problem of 650i chipset. basically 650i and 680i chipset has very weak memory controller. when you have 2 modules it is ok. but once you have 4 modules installed, it stress out and error everywhere. if you have to use 4 modules, lower to DDR2 667 and you will have better chance

Comment

EDIT to previous

since I can't seem to find how to edit previous posts, I'll post it here.

I tried putting the pair of RAM in 1,3 and 2,4 or in other words, different colored RAM slots. The computer froze again

I tried putting one pair of RAM in slots 3 and 4 and they do work

So it seems the only problem I have is when I mix both RAM sets together. Possible BIOS configuration? My motherboard says it has "high performance memory design" so I'm not sure what that means.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...tinum&class=mb
      That is specs of my motherboard at the main site.

EDIT: Wow, you found out before I finished my post, thanks, I'll try it.

Comment

Thank you

I am now successfully running my computer at 6GB of RAM. But before I possible damage any more of my computer, I would like to ask some more questions about this set-up.

1.) I leave my computer on nearly 24/7. I also have a gaming server or play games myself. Does this set-up have any possible damage to the computer or RAM? and which would get more damaged, the comp, the normally lower chipset RAM or the higher chipset RAM?

2.) Would lowering the chipset to 667 make my game speed VERY noticable difference in speed or would the 6GB vs 4GB of RAM have a better output and make up for the slowness, in your opinion.

Another thanks,
        Peter

Comment

have you tried with the 2GB sticks in 1,3 and the 1GB in 2,4----@ 2.0volts, at their standard 5-5-5-15, with dual channel mode toggled off in the BIOS (I think MSI has that option). If so, you can prob run them 800.

At 667, it will depend on the game, how noticeable it will be. I would doubt you'd notice any appreciable decrease in speed...you'd be more likely to see it in WEI scores, benchmark programs, things like that

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

FSB and RAM

I just realised how much of a beginner I am at RAM and its settings.

first off, I set the RAM to be linked with the FSB, so that they're synchronized. Although that really didn't do anything, the CPU FSB is 266MHz and the RAM are still running at 677

I looked up my northbridge and it's a nVIDIA nForce 650i SLI

I changed my RAM so that it's placed in RAM slots 2GB 1,3 and 1GB 2,4

I was looking for a how to turn off the dual channel mode, but I couldn't find it in the BIOS.

looking up my RAM timings, they are
            CAS Latency (CL) 5T
            RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 5T
            RAS Precharge (tRP) 5T
            RAS Active Time (tRAS) 13T
            Row Cycle Time (tRC) 20T
            Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 43T
            Command Rate (CR) 1T
            RAS To RAS Delay (tRRD) 3T
            Write Recovery Time (tWR) 4T
            Read To Write Delay (tRTW) 5T
            Write To Read Delay (tWTR) 9T
            Read To Precharge Delay (tRTP) 3T
            Write To Precharge Delay (tWTP) 11T
            Read Delay (tRD) 7T
            Write Delay (tWD) 4T
            Four Activate Window Delay (tFAW) 14T
            Additive Latency (tAL) 0T
            CKE Min. Pulse Width (tCKE) 3T
            Refresh Period (tREF) 7.8 us

I now know that I have to research more about RAM. I wanna try and optimize what I got.

Comment

so many questions LOL
              but let me answer it one by one

1.) I leave my computer on nearly 24/7. I also have a gaming server or play games myself. Does this set-up have any possible damage to the computer or RAM? and which would get more damaged, the comp, the normally lower chipset RAM or the higher chipset RAM?

no it is not going to damage your system at all. not sure what you mean by lower the chipset ram? you mean chipset or ram, they are different :P

2.) Would lowering the chipset to 667 make my game speed VERY noticable difference in speed or would the 6GB vs 4GB of RAM have a better output and make up for the slowness, in your opinion.

well.... i don't think you can tell like 1 or 2 FPS drops.... good video card is more important tho
              4GB is great, 6GB is perfect. no game is going to use all 4GB of your memory. most of them (Map data stores on your video card memory)

Comment

i can help you only some some of the timings but not all of them

change to unlink and set the FSB (i don't know what CPU you have but you need to set the FSB of CPU)
                set the memory to 667

CAS Latency (CL) 5T ----------------ok
                RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 5T ---------------------ok
                RAS Precharge (tRP) 5T ------------- ok
                RAS Active Time (tRAS) 13T ------------ ok
                Row Cycle Time (tRC) 20T -------------- ok
                Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 43T ---------- ok
                Command Rate (CR) 1T --------------- 2T if you feel system is unstable

others i really don't know because every motherboard is different. there is no fix value for it

good luck, any question just post here

Comment

If you unlink the cpu and the RAM, you can set them individually, you can keep your slight OC on the CPU w/ the FSB at 275 (which you originally showed, hence the 2.2 CPU speed, your CPU is native at 2.13 GHz, then you can set RAM and settings to the 800 you want. Try starting with the designated specs at 5-5-5-15. With mixed sticks you may have problems trying to tweak them much beyond that. You have the RAM in the right slots the 2X in 1,3 and the 1x in the 2,4.....This sort of let's the larger, say more dominant RAM, take the lead for stability, it's sort of hard to explain.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working well enough

I fail to get the computer from freezing without the RAM OCing like crazy, and then overloading the RAM. Anyways, I'm fine the way the computer is right now, with 2.13 GHz and the RAM at 667. The computer is still much better than it was before the new RAM was installed. I'm sorry to make a complicated matter of this, but at least right now, IT WORKS!!! Thanks to you, I feel much better and happy with my 6GB of RAM.

Comment

Working...
                    X