Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

memtest failure: F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK w/ GA-MA78GM-US2H (Four sticks 8GB at 1066)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memtest failure: F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK w/ GA-MA78GM-US2H (Four sticks 8GB at 1066)

I recently built a computer with parts purchased from newegg.com.

Motherboard: GA-MA78GM-US2H (GIGABYTE)
    RAM: F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    CPU: HD985ZXAGHBOX (AMD Phenom 9850 X4)

Problem: memtest (always test #5) fails when running all four sticks (8GB) at 1066. Running four sticks at 800MHz seemed OK.

I have tested the sticks individually in varying slots. I also tried running them paired up. These configurations (one, two, and three sticks) always pass.

Thinking that the motherboard could be the problem, I replaced the motherboard (same model). With the new board, I still get errors on test #5.

For both boards, I increased the DDR2 voltage to 2.1 and the Northbridge voltage to 1.4. The errors still persisted.

Thank you!

I think your stuck with DDR800 and 2tcmd timing with 4 sticks and any AMD cpu. Set 800 and overclock is your best bet.

Comment

yeah with AMD system, the best clock for 4 modules is DDR2 800. haven't seem anyone can close 1066 4x2GB

Comment

Aw. That's rather unfortunate. Is there a disclaimer somewhere that I neglected to read?

For speed alone, I could run 3 modules @ 1066MHz. Does that make sense?

Comment

Might try the 8GB at 5-7-7-20-2T, have gotten that combo to work with your CPU at 1066. AMD is just plain weird with RAM. I hate troubleshooting AMD CPU RAM problems, but had one of the 9850s in a system I added an SSD to.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by frozen View Post
            Aw. That's rather unfortunate. Is there a disclaimer somewhere that I neglected to read?

For speed alone, I could run 3 modules @ 1066MHz. Does that make sense?
            3 GB is running at single channel. that is less stress than dual channel. when you have 4 modules, it is running at 2 Dual Channel not just 1 Dual channel. and causes all kinds problem

Comment

In your BIOS you can see if it will allow you to change from dual channel mode to single channel, another option is to try running it at time that is just under 1066 i.e. maybe 1033 or 1000. The AMD+ socket sometimes has problems tunning at 1066 or higher and will only allow one DIMM per channel.

If the RAMs on Gigabytes compatibility list you might drop them a line, their support has been pretty good from what I've heard

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X