F2-8500cl5d-4gbpk + asus m4n72-e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500cl5d-4gbpk + asus m4n72-e

Like many other people on this forum, I have had major issues trying to get my F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK memory that I purchased a couple months ago to run stable at 1066 MHz. This memory is on the Qualified Vendors List for the ASUS M4N72-E motherboard (as well as their M3N72-D - I happen to own both) for 1066 MHz capability. After trying MANY BIOS memory settings, using a single memory module, etc. I was still unable to get it to run stable at 1066 MHz. It ran rock-solid at 800 MHz as long as I wasn't tweaking the memory timings too tight.

Since I had the second motherboard with a different CPU, I tested the memory with that and it too failed to run stable at 1066 MHz, which led me to the conclusion that the memory was defective instead of it either being a motherboard problem or a problem with the memory controller built into the CPU. I requested an RMA from G.Skill and sent in the memory and just received the replacement today. I'm happy to say the new memory is running fine at 1066 MHz. (FYI: G.Skill has a pretty good turn-around time. I mailed the RAM back via 1st Class Mail on Jan 21st, they received it on the 23rd, signed for and picked it up on Saturday the 25th (since I had delivery confirmation), tested the RAM and shipped the replacement on the 27th.)

It's my opinion that there may have been a batch of the F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK memory that was bad; I'm basing this on the amount of messages in various threads on this forum where people were unable to get this memory to run @ 1066 MHz after all of G.Skill's and other forum member's suggestions, and then after RMAing the memory the new new RAM worked fine. I'm not blaming G.Skill - this sort of thing just happens. The fact is I have purchased a LOT of G.Skill memory for both personal and work computers, and of the very small amount that has proven defective, G.Skill has taken care of it no questions every time.

All that being said, the main reason I'm putting up this post is to help people out with configuring their memory settings in the BIOS to get the memory to run stably at 1066 MHz with this and similar motherboards. (FYI: the ASUS M4N72-E and M3N72-D motherboards are both based on the nVidia 750a SLI chipset, and while they are very similar the BIOS settings look significantly different. The following settings are for the M4N72-E motherboard. There are a couple other threads for M3N72-D settings.)

CPU-Z 1.5 Specs:

DRAM Frequency - 533.3 MHz [x2 for DDR2 = 1066.6 MHz]
    FSB : DRAM - 3:8
    CAS Latency (CL) - 5 clocks
    RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) - 5 clocks
    RAS Precharge (tRP) - 5 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) - 15 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) - 24 clocks [EPP#1 RAM settings say this should be 48 but it's been working fine for me at 24]
    Command Rate (CR) - 2T

BIOS settings (and I'm giving the specific menu options for those that might not be very familiar with them):

AI Tweaker -
    AI Overclocking: Manual

DRAM Frequency Control: Manual - DRAM Frequency: 1066

Memory Configuration: Bank Interleaving: Auto, Channel Interleaving: Auto, Enable Clock to All DIMMS: Disabled, MemClk TriState C3/ATLVID: Disabled, Memory Hole Remapping: Enabled, DCT Unganged Mode: Enabled, Power Down Mode: Disabled.

DRAM Timing Configuration:
    DRAM Command Rate: 2T
    DRAM Timing Mode: Both

DTC0 1st Info
    TCL -5 Clock [CAS Latency]
    TRCD - 5 Clock [RAD to CAS Delay]
    TRP - 5 Clock [RAS Precharge]
    TRTP - 3-5 Clock
    TRAS - 15 Clock [Cycle Time]
    TRC -24 [Bank Cycle Time - this may need to be increased]
    TWR - Auto
    TRRD - Auto

DTC0 2nd Info [BIOS showing 7-127.5-75]
    All set to Auto

DTC1 1st Info
    Repeat settings for DTC0 1st Info

DTC1 2nd Info
    Repeat settings for DTC0 2nd Info

DTC0/DCT2 Strength Configuration - Auto

DRAM Voltage: 2.000V

As you can see, there are a LOT memory settings for this particular motherboard... it may be possible to further tweak these settings but I'm just reporting those that initially worked for me. I did NOT have to increase the HT or NB voltage settings as suggested in the other threads for the M3N72-D and other motherboards in order to get the memory to run stably at 1066. As of matter of fact, I've been running Prime95 in the background with all my other normal services & processes running for about an hour and a half while I post this with no problems...

I hope you find this info useful... good luck!

Scoffman
Working...
X