• Show
Clear All

Hi,

Sorry to jump in, but, FYI, Newegg shows 8GB max for this mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813136037

Also this:

http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...5-overview.htm

says:

"Delivers up to 17 GB/s of bandwidth and 8 GB memory addressability for faster system responsiveness and support of 64-bit computing."

It sounds like you'll be limited to 8GB max memory...

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimcpl View Post
      Hi,

Sorry to jump in, but, FYI, Newegg shows 8GB max for this mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813136037

Also this:

http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...5-overview.htm

says:

"Delivers up to 17 GB/s of bandwidth and 8 GB memory addressability for faster system responsiveness and support of 64-bit computing."

It sounds like you'll be limited to 8GB max memory...

Jim
      Thanks for your help Jim but if you had read the thread, it was stated as early as the first post that it appears this board will only support 8gb and I quoted similar sources as to what you just provided. I also, stated that I had read the Intel P35 specs before starting the thread.

The original question is not related to the amount of memory the board will support but rather the type of module it will support. Again, thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

Comment

Hi,

Ahh. Ok. Sorry. I thought that I had read through most of the msgs, but I guess that's what I get for jumping in on a longish thread ...

Good luck,
        Jim

Comment

The PK's would be the best kit to go with. Especially if you're trying for 8GB, that motherboard wouldn't be able to run DDR2-1200. The PK could do DDR2-1066 CL5 or DDR2-800 CL4, and that would be optimum for the P35 chipset.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

It might not do 1200 but I think this board can do close to 1200mhz on the ram on a 2x2gb config.

But I know that in a 4x2gb config I'll be lucky to get any ram to run at 1000mhz.

So I'm wondering, what is my best bet for a 4x2gb config to get the fastest memory read/write speeds and bandwidth?

I guess as long as the memory will run stable at 1100 then the rest will be up to the memory controller and whatever it can handle.

Comment

The low voltage DDR2-1100 or 1200 would be ideal as they place the least amount of stress on the memory controller. At one point you may be reaching a high frequency, but stability and actual performance may decrease since the memory controller is maxed out. This is why some systems are actually faster with DDR2-800 CL4 instead of DDR2-1066 CL5. You'll need to test them out and see what's best for your specific setup.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                The low voltage DDR2-1100 or 1200 would be ideal as they place the least amount of stress on the memory controller. At one point you may be reaching a high frequency, but stability and actual performance may decrease since the memory controller is maxed out. This is why some systems are actually faster with DDR2-800 CL4 instead of DDR2-1066 CL5. You'll need to test them out and see what's best for your specific setup.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT
                This was great advice, until I read the last sentence. It gave me lawlz. I cant afford to buy a bunch of memory to "test them out to see what works best" lmao

But I'm glad you mentioned the low voltage chips. I might have to bite the bullet and get the Trident 1200mhz 1.8v 5-5-5-15 dimms...

Thanks

Comment

Well what I meant was that if DDR2-1200 CL5 is unstable with 8GB, you can try reducing the frequency but also reducing timings to make up for it. I know the P35 chipset can operate 8GB DDR2-1066+, but how much on this particular motherboard I can not be certain since ours is busted. =/

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                    Well what I meant was that if DDR2-1200 CL5 is unstable with 8GB, you can try reducing the frequency but also reducing timings to make up for it. I know the P35 chipset can operate 8GB DDR2-1066+, but how much on this particular motherboard I can not be certain since ours is busted. =/

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT
                    Thanks. That actually does help a lot. I think I might go with some 1100mhz Pi. The new black ones with the straight fins on the top.

But you also have some dimms that are 1100mhz and kind of a light blue color for about the same price.

Any signifigant differences between the two?

Comment

1100 PIs would be ideal. The only light blue that comes to mind is the PK series, but they only come in 1066, not sure which other 1100 you are speaking of.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                      X