DDR2 2x4GB Kit Pre-purchase Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR2 2x4GB Kit Pre-purchase Question

I am currently looking at the F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ (blue) and the F2-6400CL6D-8GBMQ (red) and I have a few questions.

Model of the motherboard: DFI UT P35 T2R
    Model of the memory: This is the question.
    Model of the CPU: Q6600

More background: Currently I have OCZ 2x2GB PC2-6400 @ 1000MHZ and 5-6-4-18 timings. I want to be able to at least keep my current memory overclock speeds. I understand that I will want to start at 800MHz and recommended timings and work up from there.

1. First of all, is a 2x4GB set-up compatible with my board?

2. Second, I understand there is a reluctance to disclose the actual chip manufacturer. But what can you tell me about the difference between these two options. They are the exact same price on the site I'm looking to purchase from. The only difference seems to be the rated timings but what is it that is creating that difference?

3. Which pair would ultimately provide the highest stable clock speeds when overclocked?

Don't think you'd be able to keep your RAM OC and timing with those sets, for $5 more would recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231145

which is native DDR2 1000 @ 5-5-5-15 2T, these should be able to run 5-6-4-18, you'll have to raise your tRFC and possibly experiment with it, would guess 88

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Dude, those are 2x4GB kits that I posted. You just posted a link to a 2x2GB kit...

I'm not tied to the 5-6-4-18 timings, thats just the best I could do with what I have. I'd be happy to run 5-5-5-15. I just dont want to "upgrade" to slower ram.

I need 8gb of ram. Will my board support one of your 2x4gb kits?

Comment

according to what little research that I have done on that board, it has 4 Dimms with a total cap of 8 Gb. That leads me to believe that there is a 2 gig max per Dimm, thats a possibility why TMan recommended those sticks. So 2 of those kits will give you your 8 gig. As for the setup and your timings etc etc.I will leave that up to the Pros here.

Comment

From the manufacturer website: "Supports unbuffered x8 and x16 DIMMs"

Do these sticks fall into that category?

According to the memory support list on this page, it says they will accept 8gb dimms: http://us.dfi.com.tw/portal/CM/cmpro...rmal&mode=view

But it also looks like they're trying to say that it will take 16gb which I dont think the P35 is capable of so I'm not sure if their list is accurate.

Comment

Yes, our memory does fall within the "Supports unbuffered x8 and x16 DIMMs".

I don't think that motheboard can operate 4GB modules though, so I would suggest the 4 x 2GB - 8GB kit.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Sorry bought that, from your first post, it sounded like you wanted to add 4 GB to your current 4 and keep the OC timings you were running so I looked at the 2x2 sets.....plus unless I'm mistaken (I'll check though) your mobo only supports 8GB, in 4x2 config,, don't think it supports any 4GB chips, as I said I'll check, but you should be able to find the info on their site, they have a QVL on each of their mobos.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                Yes, our memory does fall within the "Supports unbuffered x8 and x16 DIMMs".

I don't think that motheboard can operate 4GB modules though, so I would suggest the 4 x 2GB - 8GB kit.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT
                I'm confused, you say that your memory falls within the quotation, meaning that it is unbuffered and either x8 or x16 dimms. Which is what this board supports. Yet you say that you dont believe this board supports the memory. While it is shown as supported on the manufacturer's website. Lots of conflicting information here, hence the confusion which seems to just keep getting worse.

Can you please be more specific? Why do you think this board will not support 4gb modules? Do you know the max memory that the P35 can support?

If I were going to go with 2gb modules then I wouldnt go with DDR2 6400, I would go with some 1200MHz Ripjaws or something. But I want to avoid running 4 sticks of ram if possible. My northbridge is the limiting factor on my overclock. I could maintain a much higher CPU clock speed if it were not for my northbridge temps. And I'm afraid that running 4 sticks of ram will further exacerbate this issue.

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                Sorry bought that, from your first post, it sounded like you wanted to add 4 GB to your current 4 and keep the OC timings you were running so I looked at the 2x2 sets.....plus unless I'm mistaken (I'll check though) your mobo only supports 8GB, in 4x2 config,, don't think it supports any 4GB chips, as I said I'll check, but you should be able to find the info on their site, they have a QVL on each of their mobos.
                No problem. Thanks for looking into it, let me know what you find. As you can see above, I've already researched the DFI website and just so you know, I've also checked the Intel P35 page as well. I attempted to exhaust every possible resource before I came here to ask.

And as you can see above, I know that 4x2gb is an option but I have a pretty definite reason to try to stick with a 2 module setup.

Comment

Although the specifications are correct, it may not operate properly if the BIOS can not operate the specific memory properly.

Well, I was going to test it for you, but according to the DFI website, it is only rated for 8GB max, so 4GB modules would not work.

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT
                  Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 02-05-2010, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I think the confusing thing is DFI (which happens fairly often with them), I had worked with one of these boards a while back, my notes show it as 8 GB max....went to their site today and same, same, they list the board as 8GB max.....checked their QVL.....and low and behold they show the F2-6400CL6Q-16GBMQ set as tested/qualified..........which is a 16GB set...I'd check with them, they've done the same thing with other boards in the past, had one customer that wanted to run DDR3 1600 on one of their P45 mobos....it was right there in the QVL also....problem was the boards slots were for DDR2...

http://www.dfi.com.tw/portal/CM/cmpr...rmal&mode=view

Tman

Comment

^ Exactly. Thats what I've been saying all along. No offense GSKILL TECH, but it almost seems like you're ignoring me. Because if we cant trust them when they say that it will support 16gb how can you truly trust any of the specs on their site? And even if it does indeed support a maximum of 8gb, does that necessarily mean that it wouldnt support that 8gb in a 2x4gb setup?

Comment

On that, there are extremely few boards that have 4 slots that max at 8 that will support 4GB sticks, (almost none that I know of), most all are 2x4 configs (and I'll agree with you on trusting DFIs site, I don't....at all! Haven't done much w/ there mobos but have yet to be a happy camper with any I've dealt with.

I'd contact DFI, preferably by e-mail if you can, that way if they say yes, the sticks will work or whatever, you have it in writing and the onus is on them to help you to get it to work, if they don't raise h***, call in the BBB, or whatever. Once they tell you something will work (which is why you want it via e-mail - in writing) they are effectively 'advertising' it as fact, then you can approach based on false advertising.

Comment

^ lol, dude, I seriously dont want to go through all that hassle. Especially if Gskill can test it for me and tell me yes or no. I'm not out to sue someone, haha, I just want a good 8gb setup.

Comment

I'm not trying to ignore anything, I'm just telling you the facts. After looking it up, this motherboard is only rated for 8GB. Yes, 8GB max will not take 2 x 4GB, only with laptops but not desktops. Most P35 chipsets were 8GB max, which is why at that time no 4GB modules were available. Till the P45 chipset came out and it was better able to operate 16GB memory, therefore the 4GB modules were released. Even now, although some motherboards state 16GB max, they still can't operate 4GB modules.

I'll have it tested for you, so cross your fingers and hope that I come back to prove myself wrong.

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                              I'm not trying to ignore anything, I'm just telling you the facts. After looking it up, this motherboard is only rated for 8GB. Yes, 8GB max will not take 2 x 4GB, only with laptops but not desktops. Most P35 chipsets were 8GB max, which is why at that time no 4GB modules were available. Till the P45 chipset came out and it was better able to operate 16GB memory, therefore the 4GB modules were released. Even now, although some motherboards state 16GB max, they still can't operate 4GB modules.

I'll have it tested for you, so cross your fingers and hope that I come back to prove myself wrong.

Thank you
                              GSKILL SUPPORT
                              Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

If not those then I am looking at two pair of these:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231283 What do you think, will they perform better than these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166 ?

Comment

Working...
                              X