• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashes - GA-MA785GM-US2H / F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

Motherboard: GA-MA785GM-US2H
    Memory: F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
    Processor: AMD Sempron 140

Since installing the memory, every program I've tried has been regularly crashing (Picasa, Mozilla Firefox, Photoshop Elements). Everything works fine with the old 4 sticks of 512MB DDR2-667 memory (total of 2GB). I confirmed that the new memory is in the recommended slots. I also checked the BIOS to ensure that the memory and timings are being detected correctly and they are. Anything else I should try or should I RMA? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Personally I would manually input the timings if you have it on Auto (5-5-5-15-2T). Also verify that the voltage is set properly (1.8--1.9). Memory Freq is set to 800 MHz. Then if all fails I would Memtest each stick and go from there. I run those sticks and I love them!

Comment

Couple of ideas, check and make sure your command rate is at 2T, also check your tRFC, prob want about 64-66

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Try one stick at a time to determine whether a stick may be defective.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions. After further testing, each of the sticks seem to work fine on their own (one stick at a time). It's just when I have them both in that there are problems.

I tried manually setting the timings with both of them in without success. The tRFC was set to 127ns by default. The lowest I could set it to was 75ns which didn't help any. I haven't run memtest yet, but will do that soon.

Comment

interesting>> a default tRFC of 127?? that dont sound right to me!

Comment

What slots do you have them installed in?

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

They are in slots 1 & 2. According to the mb manual, "if two memory modules are to be installed, it is recommended that you install them in DDR2_1 and DDR2_2".

Comment

for a test, try them in 3 and 4 also what is your PSU wattage? also in the BIOS settings is it set to Ganged Mode?? (if the Sempron supports it) if not set it to Ganged. That is in DCTs setting .........Im getting this from your manual, just looking thru it to see what might be throwing you off
                  Last edited by Dumaine; 02-05-2010, 03:20 PM.

Comment

127 would right for the tRFC, the board shows it in ns (nano-seconds) as opposed to clicks, at 800 you could try relaxing the timings, or keep them at stock and drop the speed to 667....another option would be to OC the Sempron and add voltage to the CPU and the MC

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I think Dumaine nailed it! The BIOS was set to un-ganged mode. I changed it to ganged and everything has been fine since. Thank you all for the suggestions and I'll send an update if the problems reappear.

Comment

good luck!

Comment

Shoot, guess I spoke too soon. As soon as my wife started using the computer, the crashes came back (same programs - Mozilla, PSE, Picasa).

I tried using slots 3 & 4, but ended up with the same results. Next I'll try dropping the speed to 667. Unfortunately, thanks to having a 2 year old and 8 month old, I only get a limited time each night to try to work on/diagnose this.

Regarding the question on the PSU, it's a Corsair 400 watt. It shouldn't have any problems since I'm running the Sempron (45w) and just using the onboard graphics.

As usual, everything is fine with just the one module installed.

Comment

now start playing with the tRFC starting at the 127ns starting point ( might have to raise it, might have to lower it)
                            Last edited by Dumaine; 02-08-2010, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Try raising HT Voltage (1.30V) and NB Voltage (1.20V) to see if that helps.

tRFC can be set to 110 or 127.

If you can, post screen shots of the BIOS and I can see if anything is set incorrectly.

Thank you
                              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                              X