• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK - memtest86 and 'memtest' reports errors

Hello, this is my system.

Core 2 Duo E6600 [2.4Ghz]
    Asus P5N32-E SLI http://au.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=...59&modelmenu=1
    F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK [4-4-3-5] http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...gskill_pc6400/ my ram looks like that, the F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK I found listed on the Gskill product list has a light blue heat spreader]
    BFG GF 8800 GTS [640mb]
    Several westerndigital HDDS

I started getting quite a few BSOD problems, games .etc crashing [mostly only games that use a lot of RAM].
    but there didn't seem to be a pattern to the crashes, fairly random.
    So I ran mem test in windows and it reported lots of errors, so I burned a CD with memtest86 and ran that on boot up and it also reported lots of errors.
    I was able to reduces the errors to almost none by lowering the MHz from 800 to 693 in the bios and also had to lower voltage to 1.975 since if it is 2-2.1V the ram seems almost unusable.

I tried to isolate the problem by testing each stick on its own but both reported errors at 800Mhz and 2v, one has more errors then the other though.
    I tested the stick with the lowest error count in each of the 4 DDR 2 slots but it still had the same low error count in each slot.

now with both sticks in at 1.975v 693Mhz memtest86 isn't reporting errors at least not in 2 passes, but "memtest" in windows still gets a few errors.

also I just formatted one of my HDDs and loaded fresh windows XP on it with latest drivers .etc to double check that it wasn't a driver problem .etc.

Does this mean the RAM is bad? should I RMA?

Thanks

edit: also if I RMA will I get back 4-4-3-5 RAM or will it be a different model? [if the set I sent is found to be faulty]

also should I try an RMA through my retailer? I'm out of the retail warranty though.
    Last edited by GrinderAU; 11-21-2008, 08:59 PM.

it seemed your memory is defective
    if you are in Europe, it would be more convenient to RMa with your local retailer
    if it is not acceptable for them or there is no replacement there, please send back to us for RMA
    and we'll replace you with the same model
    thanks

G.S

Comment

Working...
    X