F2-6400CL5-2GBPQ bios setup on GA-MA790X-UD4P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL5-2GBPQ bios setup on GA-MA790X-UD4P

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I do anything out of place or order. I'm having a problem with a system running a gigabyte MA790X-UD4P mobo, phenom II X4 965 proc, and 8 gigs (4 sticks) of g.skill F2-6400CL5-2GBPQ ram. My issue is I can't get the system to post in any configuration other than slots 1 and 3 (2 sticks wont work in slots 1 and 2 or 3 and 4). If I try to put all 4 sticks in my system just hangs and won't post at all. I haven't done much with the BIOS settings yet.
    So my question is does anyone know what the BIOS settings should be for this setup? If not, any pointers on how to troubleshoot?
    Thanks

Could you post your current BIOS settings? First you'll want the latest BIOS for your mobo, then basics would be to MANUALLY (don't trust/use AUTO) set base timings to 5-5-5-15, DRAM voltage to 1.9 and Command Rate/Timing to 2N (or 2T if shown w/ the T). Might also look at tRFC in advanced timings and would want 195/6 or so unless your specific BIOS jumps from 160ish to 300, then 300.

If failures continue, suggest test each stick individually in slot 1 w/ Memtest to see if you have a bad stick.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you so much for the prompt reply! I have updated my bios to the latest version (F9), have checked that the timings are 5-5-5-15, the ram voltage was 1.9, command timing was 2T, and I changed the tRFC for each slot to 195. I still can't boot with 4 sticks though (or 2 sticks side by side either).
      All the other settings are just default:

northbridge freq: 2000 mhz
      HT link freq: 2000 mhz
      memory clock: 800 mhz
      dram voltage: 1.9

1T/2T Command Timing: 2T
      TwTr Command Delay: 3T
      Trfc0 for DIMM1: 195ns
      Trfc0 for DIMM2: 195ns
      Trfc0 for DIMM3: 195ns
      Trfc0 for DIMM4: 195ns

Write Recovery Time: 6T
      Precharge Time: 3T
      Row Cycle Time: 25T
      RAS to RAS Delay: 3T

My temps are ok and I'm not doing any overclocking to the cpu either. I'm still in the process of testing all the sticks of memory, but I've been able to successfully boot with each of them, so I don't know if they could be causing the problem. I'm wondering if maybe the motherboard is bad?
      Thanks again for the help

Comment

Try raising Row Cycle Time to 31-33 range

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

My row cycle time actually only goes to 26T. I tried it at 26T anyway, but I still couldn't boot up with all 4 sticks.btw, I finished testing my ram and they all passed with no errors. Is there anything else you can think of that I can change to get these sticks to work?

Comment

Did you raise NB Voltage to 1.40V?

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

It's been a while, but I was able to track down the problem to bad dim slots on the motherboard. So, I RMA'd it and now everything's working just fine! All 8 gigs are showing up without any problems in both the BIOS and Windows. Just wanted to say thanks for the help.
              Btw, I am going to try tweaking me settings to the ones recommended in this thread to see if I can boost performance at all. I'll post back with the results. Thanks again!

Comment

Sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X