• Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK w/ GA-EP45-UD3R

Hello, Andy here.

Here are my specs:

Mobo: GA-EP45-UD3R
    RAM: G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1066Mhz.
    CPU: Yorkfield q9550 Core 2 Quad 2.83Ghz

I talked to Tim from tech support and he guided me step by step with configuring my BIOS. He had me change my BIOS according to the guide. In addition to that, he had me tweak the tWE to 10 and the MCH Core to 1.400V. I had BSOD after ~5 minutes after program and system crashes with these settings.

Since working with him, I have played around with the settings based on other people's threads, including these:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1169
    http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthrea...ight=ep45-ud3r

I have tried changing my vCore voltage, my tRFC (both lower and higher than 68), amongst others.

I have tested each RAM stick in slot#2 of the motherboard. Each one worked fine, although they were incomplete tests on Prime95. I have also downclocked and ran both sticks at 800Mhz. I ran that setting on Prime95 up to Test#5 with no issues.

------------------------------------------

While typing this, I experienced a BSOD. I have now downclocked my settings to 800Mhz at 4-4-4-12.

My BIOS is updated to F11. Tim proposed that the motherboard most likely has an issue and should be replaced. At this point, I'm going to have to say that I agree with him.

Gotta end this post now out of paranoia of another BSOD. I should also be studying for a midterm, but I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for reading.

- Andy

I know that this is not exactly solving the problem, but I would like to downclock my ram to 800Mhz for now. I absolutely need my computer for the rest of the semester, and I will get the motherboard replaced during winter break.

With that being said, how should I configure the RAM to perform fastest at 800Mhz?

Thank you,
    Andy

Comment

Your current 4-4-4-12 settings would be fastest.

Referring to your first post, tWR is 10 not tWE. MCH Core only needs 1.20V if you are using 2 sticks. The settings in the guide should definitely work. Or if you have a digital camera, take pictures of the BIOS and I will see if you are missing anything or have anything set incorrectly.

Odd because if 800 works, 1066 should as well.

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here are a couple of pictures I took:

In that setting, my DRAM voltage was set at 2.1v, and my MCH Core was at 1.4. I will try lowering it to 1.2V to see how it responds.

Comment

Tried it with the MCH Core at 1.2V. I experienced a BSOD quickly on the desktop, with the error saying something like ******_SYSTEM_******. Couldn't take a picture quick enough, since I have my settings for BSOD on auto restart.

Restarted the computer and tried again, and experienced another BSOD.

Here are my settings:

Here is my BSOD:

It was different from my first one.

Comment

This is in slot 2 and 4? Everything looks correct, has to be the motherboard if both sticks work fine at 1066. Or try slots 1 and 3 to see if that makes any difference.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I haven't tried putting them back in slots 1 and 3 ever since I talked to you on the phone on Friday. I'll try it again and give you the details.

Thanks for the quick replies,
              Andy

Comment

What slots are the RAM sticks in?

I was under the impression that these two sticks were in slots 2 and 4. Am I wrong?

Comment

For 1066, disable XMP. MCH core should be fine at 1.1, tRFC could prob go down to 60 or lower w/ 4GB, standard timings of 5-5-5-15, DRAM voltage should suffice at 2.0 for your sticks, and should be able to run the Performance Enhance on Turbo...oh and try tWR at 8 instead of 10

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I tried your given setting, but I had a BSOD before the windows login screen appeared.

XMP: Disabled
                    MCH Core: 1.1
                    tRFC: 60
                    Timings: 5-5-5-15
                    DRAM Voltage: 2.0V
                    Turbo Performance Enhanced
                    tWR: 8

I played around with the settings after, and this is what I got:

tRFC: 60
                    DRAM Voltage: 2.1V
                    Standard Performance Enhanced

BSOD: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

tRFC: 58

BSOD: Didn't state exactly what it was.

tRFC: 56
                    DRAM Voltage: 2.1V
                    Standard Performance Enhanced

BSOD: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

tRFC: 56

Got onto the desktop and successfully loaded everything. The second I clicked the Start Menu, I got a BSOD.

Right now I'm back to the setting I have used for the past 2 days. I overclocked my FSB to 365Mhz and am running at 3.1Ghz. System Memory Multiplier is set to 2.4B and RAM is running at 875 with no problems. Clock speeds are at 4-4-4-12.

I was thinking about mimicking this post here: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthrea...ight=ep45-ud3r
                    However, I am going to wait until I order my after market cooler before I want to try how my RAM works at 400Mhz FSB and 2.66D System Memory Multiplier.
                    Last edited by ssnipazz; 11-07-2009, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus today and installed it.

I changed my CPU Host Frequency to 400Mhz and tried running my Ram at 1066 with System Memory Multiplier at 2.66D. Had a BSOD at the login screen.

I tried downclocking it to settings used by this person here:
                      http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthrea...ight=ep45-ud3r
                      The computer would have a looping shut down / start up on before the Windows Logo even appears. I tried changing some settings such as raising the DRAM Voltage to 2.1V, the MCH Core, and various other settings. The same thing happened and I had to reset my CMOS 4 times.

I then downclocked the RAM to 2.00D (800Mhz) with my computer at 400Mhz CPU Host Frequency. Everything has worked perfectly so far at this setting. I am running at 3.4Ghz with 800Mhz RAM at 4-4-4-12 settings. Prime95 had no errors for 10 minutes (I get very impatient and do not want to run any longer than that).

Seems like the highest I have been able to overclock the RAM so far is 875.

Comment

Your picture shows the RAM in slots 2-4, try 1-3, in no good, try testing each stick by itself in slot 1 and run memtest, may have a bad stick or mobo may have a problem

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for the quick response,

I forgot to mention, after clearing the CMOS one of those attempts, I put the RAM in slots 1 and 3. The computer would have a continuous loop of restarts before the Windows Logo even appears.

I have tested each RAM slot independently in slots 2 with no problems. However, I did not ever try using a memory test or using prime95 to stress test. I will try each individual stick in both slots 1 and 2 later and tell you what happens.

Andy

Comment

Try a single stick in slot 1 if it boots okay, try the second stick in slot one, if one works and the other doesn't may be a bad stick, if neither will boot try it in slot two, again, one at a time.. If not a bad stick, mobo may be going south

Tman

Comment

Will do. If it's the mobo, I probably won't have it replaced until Winter Break. Need it almost every day right now.

Thanks for all the help, I'll give you feedback once I've tested the RAM.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X