problems with F2 8500 CL5D 4GBPK & EP45-DS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with F2 8500 CL5D 4GBPK & EP45-DS4

Hello I bought 2 kits of F2 8500 CL5D 4GBPK, each consisting of 2 sticks of 2 GB.
    I'll call one "old" - bought 4 months ago
    I'll call the other one "new" - bought last week.

the old kit is working fine at 1066 MHz on the EP45-DS4 and a Q6600 overclocked to 3.5 GHz (FSB 389 MHz).

the new kit is not working on this mother board at 1066 MHz. But it works at 778 MHz (389 * 2). This new kit is also working on an other mother board (P35-DQ6) at 1066 MHz.

When I set the 2 kits on the EP45-DS4 to get 8 GB, it does not work
    - with the 2 kits at 778 MHz, I pass the post/BIOS. but the windows 7 boot fails
    - with the 2 kits at 1066 MHz, I do not even pass the post/BIOS. the mother board bips indefinitely.

Here some details on my configuration: MCH & ICH core are at 1.2V (read elsewhere on this forum). I've also set the DRAM voltage to 2.1V. These settings do not change the behavior of the new kit.

I've already returned the new kit to my reseller who provided me a new one.

I was to forget... I tried the 4 memory slots of the mother board with a 2x2GB kit along with a 2x1GB kit (same specs 8500, CL5D).

I am really lost here. Help is welcome.
    My objective is to have 8 GB on the mother board.

What's your tRFC? should be 195 (if in NS) or about 84.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

tRFC was 68 (and Auto), I've set it to 195. It starts to boot, but doesn't reach the login.

Comment

If it was at 68 then try the 84, it doesn't sound like it's listed in 'ns' nano-seconds as opposed to clicks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

test with tRFC at 84

Hello,
          I tried the 84 value for tRFC.
          The boot happens, and login. But explorer, internet explorer are crashing almost immediatly.

Comment

Try upping the tRFC to 86 (and then 88 if need be), also may give the DRAM .05 i.e. 2.15 (yes it's safe)

Tman

Comment

Hello,

I tried 86 and 88 with a 2.14V on DRAM. Many applications crash right at login.
              Even some services that prevent the desktop to initialize properly.

Comment

Just thinking...
                The "faulty" or "new" kit does not work on the EP45-DS4, but works on my old P35-DQ6.
                So I looked at the default settings on the P35-DQ6 (in parenthesis on the EP45-DS4)
                tRRD 3 (4)
                tWTR 3 (4)
                tWR 6 (13)
                tRFC 52 (68)
                tRTP 3 (4)
                tRead static 6 (10)

Are there other values than tRFC I should set on the EP45-DS4 to have the new kit working ?
                Still I do not understand why the old kits and the new kits are not working with the same default values on the EP45-DS4.

Comment

Do you have command rate at 2T?, also do you have the latest BIOS? other than that might try upping the NB voltage a tad and possibly the MCH

Tman

Comment

yes, command rate is 2T
                    It's also latest BIOS (F9)
                    MCH is already at 1.2V. Should I push further ?

Comment

I've also relaxed the timings (5/7/7/20), with no effect.
                      I've also tried the tRRD:3 tWTR:3 tWR:6 tRTR:3 (as on the P35-DQ6)
                      Which does not work as well.

Could both kit be incompatible, though exactly the same ?

Comment

MCH Voltage will need to be 1.40V for 8GB. tRFC should be set to 80. Keep me posted on the results.

Thank you
                        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Hello,

I got the 8 GB working with MCH = 1.4V, ICH = 1.2V, DRAM voltage = 2.1V,
                          tRFC = 50.
                          (all other memory settings to "auto")

But the speed is 389 * 2 = 778 MHz, and not 1066 MHz.

I'll try 389 * 2.5 = 972 MHz and tRFC = 80 soon.

Comment

Just tried...

The 8 GB do not work at 389 * 2.5 = 972 MHz (tRFC = 80)

to sum up, the only parameter that make it work is to reduce the speed to 389*2 = 778 MHz.
                            All other parameters do not enhance the situation (MCH, ICH, tRFC, DDRAM voltage...)

What's next to use these memory (and particularly the new kit) at 1066 MHz ?

Thanks

Comment

Post up pictures of your BIOS and we can see if you are missing anything. Have you tested each set individually to make sure none are defective?

Thank you
                              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                              X