F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK + ASUS M3N72-D BIOS settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK + ASUS M3N72-D BIOS settings

I have previously tried running F2-8500CL5D-4GBTD and I was unsuccessful with 2 different sets... see thread:

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1351

Both times I returned the modules to the store. The second time, the store themselves tested them and told me they were also unable to run them at 1066MHz. So I am still unsure whether I had faulty modules or a compatibility issue.

I then purchased Corsair Dominators which seemed to work a little better but were still unstable. The major difference was that I did not get errors in Memtest like I did with the GSkill Tridents but I still had the random freezes.

Now I have purchased the F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK and when testing individually I found both modules to work fine at 800MHz but when set to 1066MHz one of the modules produced errors immediately when running Memtest on Test #8.

Is this module most likely dead?

The other module seems fairly stable but will eventually produce a single error when running either Prime95 or Memtest (Test #8) for an hour or two. Which brings me to my second question about tRC; I am concerned that the tRC might be an issue because this memory (as with the Tridents) requires tRC of 48 when running 1066MHz, while my Bios allows a maximum manual setting of tRC=42. If I leave this setting on AUTO and just select "SLI-Ready Memory" which uses the EPP profile then the reported timings in CPU-Z are: 5,5,5,15,17 2T. So that's a tRC of 17 which seems a little odd to me but as I said it still takes over an hour to produce a single error. In fact at tRC=17 I think it took 5 hours to produce an error in Prime95.

I have copied these settings from your guide for the M4N82 deluxe would it be reasonable to use these settings:

AI Overclocking - Manual
    DRAM Frequency Control - Manual
    DRAM Frequency - 1066

Memory Configuration (submenu)
    DCT Unganged Mode - Enabled
    Power Down Enable - Disabled

DRAM Timing Configuration (submenu)
    DRAM Command Rate - 2
    DRAM Timing Mode - Both
    DCT0:
    TCL - 5 CLK
    TRCD - 5 CLK
    TRP - 5 CLK
    TRTP - 5 CLK
    TRAS - 15 CLK
    TRC - 31 CLK (may need to increase up to 42 for 8GB)
    TWR - 8 CLK
    TRRD - 4 CLK

TWTR - 4 CLK
    TRFC0 - 127.5 (195 for 8GB, 4 sticks)
    TRFC1 - 75 (127.5 for 8GB, 4 sticks)

DCT1:
    Enter same values as above if using these slots, or if operating full slots.

DRAM Voltage - 2.1V
    HT Voltage - 1.3V
    NB Voltage - 1.2V (1.4V for 8GB, 4 sticks)

The green settings are not available in my bios. I have tried these settings and also tried raising tRC to 42 but it seems to make little difference.

Please help.

Do you have the latest BIOS? Not sure of your OS, but by inputting here:

http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=8jYT1euVL4wCyH04

you can find the latest.

Tman

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The memory package only requires tRC 24 so that is not the issue. The CPU-z value is simply the JEDEC standard for DDR2-1066. Try increasing HT Voltage to 1.4V. What processor do you have?

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Yeah I'm using the latest bios and I have tried flashing to some of the older bios to see if there is any difference but no luck.

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        The memory package only requires tRC 24 so that is not the issue. The CPU-z value is simply the JEDEC standard for DDR2-1066. Try increasing HT Voltage to 1.4V. What processor do you have?
        So are you suggesting that for 2 modules installed I should set the timings like this:

TCL - 5 CLK
        TRCD - 5 CLK
        TRP - 5 CLK
        TRTP - 5 CLK
        TRAS - 15 CLK
        TRC - 24 CLK
        TWR - 8 CLK
        TRRD - 4 CLK
        TWTR - 4 CLK

DRAM Voltage - 2.1V
        HT Voltage - 1.4V
        NB Voltage - 1.2V

My processor is a Phenom II 550 Black Edition. This is an AM3 CPU and the motherboard is AM2+. I have heard that this is a known issue and could be the reason I am having trouble running at 1066MHz.

But now, to further complicate the situation, I have managed to run stable with one of the F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK modules. When testing individually I found that one module immediately produced errors in Memtest while the other ran stable. I also ran Prime95 for 10 hours stable with the good module while the bad one would freeze up very quickly. I returned these modules to the retailer who tested them on an Intel CPU and they both ran fine for multiple passes in Memtest.

Does this mean that one module is definantly faulty or could it still be my motherboard or CPU?

Comment

I have a 550 on an ASUS M3A78 that runs these same modules perfectly fine.

With this in mind and from what you're saying, you probably have a defective/faulty stick.
          AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
          Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
          ASUS Crosshair V Formula
          2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
          SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
          Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
          Corsair HX850W Modular
          Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
          2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Even though they both ran fine on this other machine?

Comment

I read through this thread several times, but you've lost me, what other machine?
              Try setting both modules at 800MHz@ 4-4-4-12 (2.10v).
              There is little performance difference between 800MHz at these tighter timings versus 1066@ 5-5-5-15.

It's possible that your 550 has a bad DDR2 memory controller or your ASUS board just doesn't like 1066 memory.

To give you an example, a buddy over at the AMD forums throughly tested a 955 when it was first released.
              He could not get it to run 1066 stable with even the slightest CPU overclocking.
              That 955 was returned and he just bought another 955 within the past several weeks.
              This newest 955 runs 1066 memory flawlessly, even with a CPU overclock at 3.9Ghz.
              Both 955's were run on the same board and this person build comps for a living, so he knows what he's doing.
              AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
              Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
              ASUS Crosshair V Formula
              2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
              SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
              Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
              Corsair HX850W Modular
              Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
              2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Memtest versions also have different results. Definitely send that bad stick in for a replacement. If one is fine, the other should be as well. The BIOS settings you listed in post #4 is correct.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by YourNemesis007 View Post
                  I read through this thread several times, but you've lost me, what other machine?
                  The other machine was a test rig that the retailer used to test the memory for me. It was an Intel board and the memory ran without errors so I was unsure if the memory was at fault or my motherboard/CPU. Since one worked fine on my rig and one didn't they agreed to RMA the memory and they even lent me a couple of sticks of 800MHz memory in the mean time (nice guys).

If there are still problems with the replacement memory I will ask these guys to test my CPU and motherboard in different rigs so I can find out which is at fault. It might cost me something for labour but it's better than waiting 6 weeks for RMA on something that's not broken.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                    Memtest versions also have different results. Definitely send that bad stick in for a replacement. If one is fine, the other should be as well. The BIOS settings you listed in post #4 is correct.
                    Thanks GSKILL TECH,

The results I had from that one good stick using those timings were the best results I've had so far with this board. Granted, it sounds like there may be something dodgy about my motherboard/CPU combination as, by all accounts, it should run with any good quality memory. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I receive the replacement memory modules, they'll both run dual channel 1066MHz.

Comment

Solved

Ok I know it's been a while but I thought I should update you on my progress.

Received the replacement modules and had all the same issues again so I dropped the whole system down to the shop where I got the Ram from and asked them to have a look at it. They had a look at it and found the same issues I had been having and so they must have spoken to their GSkill suppliers interstate who sent over some older stock of the same PK 1066's and all is fixed!

I can run at 533 MHz no problems and in fact I am running at about 546Mhz at the moment.

So I can only assume that they are different chips inside of these ones. Would that be right?

Comment

GSkill would have to answer that one, but it is a possibility, another might be that the sticks programming is slightly different on the newer sticks to maybe be more compatible with a wider range of mobos.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X