Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK + GA-MA790X-UD4P: One good pair, two bad???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK + GA-MA790X-UD4P: One good pair, two bad???

I've got a new Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UDP4 MoBo, a Phenom II X4 3 GHz. (Deneb) processor and F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK memory. When I made the initial purchase from Newegg, I bought one pair of memory modules to see how they worked out.

The answer was, "Just fine." I installed the two modules into the yellow sockets (1 & 2), set the settings to the ones suggested in the sticky thread in this forum related to this combo and let it rip overnight running Memtest86+. The next morning, 15 passes of Memtest and no errors.

Based on this experience, I ordered another pair of the same modules to expand the system to 8 GB. When the 2nd pair arrived, I decided to test it. I pulled out the original pair, inserted the 2nd pair in the yellow sockets and fired up Memtest+. It would run until test 5 and then crash the system (it would reboot). I pulled the module from slot 2 and ran Memtest with just the one module. It ran until test 5 and then hung the system (no reboot, Memtest just hung). I pulled out that one module and replaced it with the 2nd "new" module. Same deal, Memtest hung at test 5.

Confirming there was an "issue," booting to Win XP produced a BSOD almost immediately with the 2nd set of modules. With the "original" set, Win XP ran without a problem.

I put the "original" pair of modules back in the yellow sockets, ran Memtest+ and again, no errors at all.

Based on this, I contacted Newegg and RMA'd the 2nd set of modules. Today, I got another pair as the replacements. I again removed the "original" pair of modules, stuck in the "new" set into the yellow sockets and ran Memtest+. Everything is fine until test 5 where I start to get thousands of errors. Pulled out the module from slot 2 and ran just one with Memtest+ and got errors (lots) in test 5. Swapped the other "new" module into slot 1 and ran it alone: same result - lots of errors in test 5.

I put back the "original" pair of modules into slots 1 & 2 and, once again, no errors at all with Memtest+.

In all cases, I used the suggested timings and memory voltage from the sticky thread. I tried bumping up the north bridge voltage, but it made no apparent difference.

Note that I haven't even tried running all four modules at the same time to get to 8 GB (with 64-bit Ubuntu). I'm beginning to suspect that's going to be a "challenge." What should I try next? Or, since my goal is to ultimately run the four modules together, should I just RMA all of it and buy something else?

Might try it one more time, if so, write to NewEgg Customer Service and explain the whole process as you did here and suggest they may have gotten a bad lot of RAM from GSkill, they may well pick up the return shipping tab.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X