No announcement yet.

F2-8500CL5D-4GBTD + ASUS M3N72-D BIOS settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why was G-skill RAM on the QVL if it doesn't have tight enough timings?

I've noticed that if I put everything on (AUTO) this Ram shows as 5 5 5 18 in CPU-Z while under the SPD tab it still shows that it should be 5 5 5 15 and the last set of Ram was automatically recognised as 5 5 5 15.

In regards to the 516MHz thing, it is only happening in MemTest which I am running off a boot disc... CPU-Z seems to show it correctly. I don't seem to have anything in the Bios labelled FSB, only CPU Multiplier and CPU Frequency which in turn seem to change the FSB ratio in CPU-Z. I'm trying my best to understand this all. What else could it be? Did you get my email with the photos of all my Bios screens?

I will contact Asus but they haven't gotten back to me in the past so I won't hold my breath.

Do I need a package with looser or tighter timings?

Comment

SPDtool

You said SPDtool was an option... I haven't been game because I heard it voids the warranty on the RAM.

That said, I have been reading on an OCZ Forum that people were having this same problem with one of the Asus Intel boards (P5B Deluxe I think). OCZ were asking people to send in a SPD dump from their memory so that OCZ could provide them with a modified file to flash their RAM and raise the tRFC to 54.

Is this recommended and if so can you advise which details should be adjusted?

Comment

forget the SPDtool what would be your point of using advanced latency editing tools. Except for breaking whole block + kill the warranty? one damn tRFC ain't gonna help exactly even an -30-40T would still boot for sure, if you are question an tRFC settings. beside your tRFC should be 68. tRC around 24-26T (although should boot even as low as 11-13T).

O and trust me when I say you do not wanna go and play around with JEDEC standards with tools like SPDTool on memory..
        Last edited by genetix; 08-18-2009, 04:08 AM.
        "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
        http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Originally posted by genetix View Post
          forget the SPDtool what would be your point of using advanced latency editing tools. Except for breaking whole block + kill the warranty? one damn tRFC ain't gonna help exactly even an -30-40T would still boot for sure, if you are question an tRFC settings. beside your tRFC should be 68. tRC around 24-26T (although should boot even as low as 11-13T).

O and trust me when I say you do not wanna go and play around with JEDEC standards with tools like SPDTool on memory..
          I agree that SPDtool is a bad idea and not something that I am about to attempt. I don't know what you mean by "breaking the whole block" ?

I don't understand the rest of your post at all... something about the tRFC?

I understand that the tRFC needs to be higher but my board will not allow me to raise it past 42

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            The problem is the motherboard not being able to pick up the proper tRFC values.
            Mean no idea to go change good pre setupped 127.5ns out with something like spdtool.

There is no option to adjust tRFC only tRC - I have read on the Asus site that this is a limitation:
            http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us
            If there's no tRFC how do you know it's 42.. tRC != tRFC.. tRC should be 24-26t to boot up.

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH
            2) The JEDEC standard for 1066 is 2.1V so this memory should be able to operate below that.
            G.Skill, lol, as far I am aware there is no standard to 1066.. 1E? ;P
            Last edited by genetix; 08-18-2009, 08:28 AM.
            "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:

Comment

Ok sorry for the confusion but I am still unclear what you are trying to say.

You're right it is my tRC that maxes out at 42. The SPD tab in CPU-Z shows that the tRC should be 48 for EPP#1 (5-5-5-15-48).

In regards to tRFC, I have no adjustable setting in my bios. While in DDR2 800 frequency the tRFC values appear to be 75 - 127.5 - 75 - 75.

While in DDR2 1066 mode I have observed these settings to be 127.5 - 75 - 75 - 75

I understand these may need to be set as high as 195ns which is 54t

Is the right?

Do you know how I can achieve this?

Comment

Now, adjust in BIOS:
                -tRC = maximum of 24t.
                -Forget the tRFC:
                * 195ns is not 54t and nowhere near you cannot calculate it like this here's proper or something very near it:

On 800Mhz your divider is 2.50ns.
                On 1066Mhz your divider is 2.00ns or 1.90ns (can't remember which but close enough 2.00ns)

Now when you calculate ticks. it would go like 127.5ns (tRFC bottom line is ALWAYS 127.5ns on G.Skill memories as far I've the blocks).

127.5 / divider = xxT

so, example 1066Mhz would be:

127.5ns / 2.00ns = 63.75T = 64T
                195.0ns / 2.00ns = 97.50T = 98T

---------------------------------------

Now that we got idea of how these ae calculated. I'm gonna mix the soup of good and bad
                memory ideas. Where same calculated 64T (above) can still be run error free at 54T this
                means flexibility of good memory.

Now, this memory will not work at tRC 48T no way no how. drop it between 13T-36T and
                you will start see functionality. Best would be around 24-26T.

Why your motherboard would add an 54T (which is automated timing between 800Mhz-1062Mhz)
                is beyond me I'd say dump the memory little higher than 1066Mhz couple Mhz and see where it
                starts rising it to proper 68T as it should be doing.
                Last edited by genetix; 08-18-2009, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Check this link:

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...c_20040506.pdf

I am new to this and I am just trying to make sense of the info I am finding out there...

That said I am still having difficulty making sense of your grammar and I can't really tell if you are here trying to correct me or if you actually have some advice to offer.

If you read my previous posts you will see that I have tried tRC values from 42 right down to 18 (I will try it through to 13 if you like). In each case I was getting errors in Memtest.

Now when you calculate ticks. it would go like 127.5ns (tRFC bottom line is ALWAYS 127.5ns on G.Skill memories as far I've the blocks).
                  What do you mean by "as far as I've the blocks" ?

Why your motherboard would add an 54T (which is automated timing between 800Mhz-1062Mhz)
                  is beyond me I'd say dump the memory little higher than 1066Mhz couple Mhz and see where it
                  starts rising it to proper 68T as it should be doing.
                  My board is not adding 54T (not sure what you even mean by this).

What do you mean by "dump the memory a little higher" ?

I can set the bios to 800MHz or 1066MHz

Comment

OK I've just checked the EPP using another program and the profile shows that this RAM needs a tRC of 48 for 533Mhz while it is 24 for 400Mhz...

just to be clear:

400Mhz = 5, 5, 5, 15, 24
                    533Mhz = 5, 5, 5, 15, 48

My motherboard cannot support tRC 48, could this be the problem?

Is this RAM's SPD table wrong?

I'm not about to adjust the SPD but maybe I need to RMA if it is incorrect.

Comment

Send them in for new replacements. If you are having issues with one stick, sounds like a stick may be defective. If you purchased the memory within 30 days, please contact your original place of purchase for RMA exchange.

Otherwise, please visit our website at http://www.gskill.com/rma.php for complete RMA procedures. You will need to download and complete the RMA Form then email it to ustech@gskill.com for an RMA number to return the defective memory sticks.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                      X