• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ or CL6 for P5Q?

mobo: Asus P5Q ("vanilla version")
    cpu: Q6600
    Memory: 4gb DDR2 - HP2-6400 (996587)

I currently have 4gb (2x2) of Mushkin RAM.

I wanted to increase my memory so I have a few options. I was looking at:

1) F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ
    2) F2-6400CL6D-8GBMQ
    3) F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

I also found G.Skill f2-8000cl5d-4gbpq 5-5-5-15, used, for $50* (*not sold yet as of Sept 12)

As I consider all these expensive (it's DDR2), I'm trying to consider what to do if I pair it with the ram I have now.

16GB would be the limit but I sure wouldn't have to worry about whether I have enough RAM. I want to run/use Virtualbox or VMWare so that would pretty much solve that.

Also, I read that having a lot of browser tabs open uses up memory.

Anyway, which RAM out of this will play nice with my Mushkin? If there were problems, I could sell the Mushkin since I don't think they offer the same or equivalent DDR2 memory anymore? I couldn't find any.

Here's the specs for that:
    HP2-6400 (996587)
    # 996587 of Mushkin's memory, 2x2gb PC2-6400 800mhz
    5-4-4-12 with 1.8v, warrantied 1.8 to 2.1v.

For some reason, they're running at 5-5-5-15, though. I checked in the BIOS. 1.8v from what I can tell.

So, any recommendations for my best options? I thought I could even buy the 8gb and sell these to offset the price and could even pick up more G.Skill later. But, it would be nice if I could just add RAM and add to the total? Except, with that, I might have to tweak either the Mushkin or the G.Skill (maybe both?)?

I've read online that there are sometimes some issues with either of these (sticks) so what would the steps be? Update to the latest BIOS and run at 'Auto', then check here? :-) I checked my current BIOS version and it's at 1611. The latest BIOS ver. for this mobo is 2209.

Also, I run 64-bit operating systems, both Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and Linux... always installing 64-bit.

I hope I did enough HW and provided enough info to obtain some suggestions. I wanted to provide as many options and as much info as possible so that readers have an idea of what I want to do and what my hardware is.

I appreciate any help and open to suggestions. :- ) Thanks!

If I were to try to mix the Mushkins with another set, I'd try the 5/PQs - F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ. Keep in mind anytime you mix sets it can be problematic and may require voltage changes and possibly timings to get them to play. If you try and need help we'll be here

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X