No announcement yet.

Computer shut off no warning ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early on you mentioned removing the CMOS battery, have you reset you BIOS setings for CPU, etc. Removing the battery would kick everything to the defaults

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks, i always hate trying to reset everything in the bios after you have to clear the cmos. I went back and checked everything and found that i did not disable the video ram cacheable, i think this fixed it

Comment

Sounds good, lets hope this is it.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

This is probably not the right place to sort out my problems but is the only place i get any help and since i use the g.skill memory, i guess it is ok. I still have a very weird problem, i am still getting an occasional slow down, not noticeable in playing games but during windows and Internet surfing. I have swapped my memory around thinking it might be the voltage limitations of this FIC motherboard, i have used 2x512mb pc3200 hyperX , 2x1gb pc3200 platinum and the 2x1gb g.skill NS and they work better for a while and then start getting sluggish. I have checked my system resources and nothing is running that should not be, system idle is at 99 percent during this time. My system temps are also very low no where near slow down settings

Comment

Okay, hate to say this, but once again there's a few things to look at and do. With no real change in gaming speeds but hesitance in other areas (surfing/ED computing and after the changes made, etc) you probably want to look at a basic cleanup (and a bit more).

My suggestions would be
            A. Do a disk clean up - get's rid of extraneous/unneeded files
            B. Remove unneeded Icons from desktop
            C. If you don't use it - get a small program called WinPatrol (free)

http://www.winpatrol.com/

This program has a number of features - one of the best is that it allows you to manage startup programs (all the little icons on the lower left of your screen) on the fly. Mant of these are simply squib programs that load a small portion of main programs (like Adobe Reader, nVidia nTune, MS Office, etc) that really do nothing more than speed up the opening of the main program by a second or so when you go to actually use it, i.e. you may go days without using Reader, but that little icon is using up memory every minute the computer is on and wasting your RAM.
            WinPatrol let's you disable startup programs with the click of a button, then, if you decide you do need them, you can simply, re-enable them. It also barks at you when something tries to load a program (bit of a security help)

D. Check your Virus program, and have it schedule to run at a time you aren't computing, also check what it uses as far as resources, some, like Norton and MacAfee are resource hogs. I like AVG Free, takes little resources, you can set a schedule on when to run (I run mine about 2:00AM, and has a feature where it can/will shut down your system for you after it runs.

http://free.avg.com/

E. Defrag your harddrive (unless you are using a SSD dive)

F. Check system properties (when you crashed, some may have changed) may want them set for performance

G. Same place, may want to increase size of Paging file and if system allows, enable write caching on hard drive.

H. Check the driver for your ethernet connection or modem, make sure it's current (sometimes if you have a crash and lose a driver, the system will load the default driver. If not already, check your other drivers too, while at it - easiest way is to go to your mobo's home page, I think you had mentioned BioStar (will check), look up the model and there should be a download page listing all the current drivers.

I. Same w/ graphics card.

There's more that can be done, but this will provide a bare bones tuneup without getting into the BIOS or OCing

Tman

Comment

Thanks nice little program, i only had two that were actual startup and a ton of HKLM_RUN, what are they ? can they also be disabled ?

Comment

Those listed as HKLM or HKCU (et al), _RUN are programs that load at start up. Off to the left of that should be the program's company's name, then the Command, and to the left of that, the programs Title. If the Title of the company don't mean anything to you you can Google the command. As examples you'll see one line that is

WinPatrol winpatrol.exe BillP Studios HKLM_RUN

that's this WinPatrol line - if you were to highlight it and click disable, it would no longer run at start up. The others you just need to check out individually, like I said Adobe Acrobat like to load anywhere from 1-3 things at startup (none of which are really needed), your Virus program will generally load something (probably want to leave that), your printer, mouse, keyboard, etc may load programs also. The biggies that you might want to disable would be more commercial software, i.e. MS Office, Photoshop, Kodak, Nero, etc, things like that.

Which is also a good thing with this program - if you do disable something, and find you need it, it's much easire to just Enable it, than have to reload it or something like that.

Tman

Comment

The Biostar mobo bit the dust last month, i replaced it with a FIC K7M-NF18G (AU31). This is the only nForce2 board i could find so that i would not have to do a complete reformat. I am very tight with my money an would rather spend it on other things instead of building a new computer. I did a disk cleanup, error checking and defrag, i disabled almost everything in the startup except my sound card volume panel and scotty, thing are moving along pretty nice right now. I am using Norton 2009 and it has a very small foot print and according to its CPU usage gage is rarely over 15 percent.

Comment

Sounds good,
                    Have a gud 1 !

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X