P67/2133 DRAM results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P67/2133 DRAM results

Recently picked up some sets of DRAM and thought I’d do some comparison testing just to see what might happen as I am planning to soon build a Z77. Am using one of my current systems as the test platform and the specs are as follows:

Mobo - ASRock P67 Fatal1ty Performance (latest BIOS 1.30)
    CPU - Intel 2500K
    CPU HS - Zalman CNPS5X SZ
    GPU - BFG GTX 285 OCX
    PSU - Antec HCP- 1000 Platinum
    OS/APPS - Pair 120 GB GSkill Sniper SSDs in RAID 0
    Data - WD 750 GB 32GB Cache
    Data - Seagate 1 TB 32GB Cache
    Add on - ASUS PE9400 TV Tuner card
    LCDs - Hanns-G 27.5 “ and AOC 24”
    Originally put 16GB of Snipers in, and soon upgraded to 1866 Snipers (2 sets of F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR 4x4GB 16GB total) that has served me well since about July 2011. In addition to running tests on the 1866 sticks, I am playing with a set of 2133 CL9 16GB 4x4GB Snipers – Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR and a set of 2133 CL9 32GB 4x8GB Ripjaws X, Model - F3-2133C9Q-32GXH.
    To be honest I hadn’t really expected a lot of difference between the performances of the sticks at basically the rated specs and there really wasn’t. I did however see in the brief tests I’ve run so far on the sets that the performance rise from 1600 and going up is significant enough (to me anyway) to warrant buying higher freq sets.
    I set the system up w/ a nominal 4.6 multiplier on the 2500K and plan further testing at 4.8 (and prob up). At the different levels I tested, I ran MaxxMem 4 times at different levels of activity and averaged the Memory Copy Score (as reads are generally lower and Writes are generally higher.

Starting with the 1866 set (4x4GB)

Mbytes/Sec GB/Sec

@1600 8-9-8-28 21,168 or 20.67
    @1600 9-9-9-28 20,520 or 19.58
    @1866 9-10-9-28 25,130 or 24.54 (with CR @ 2T)
    @1866 9-10-9-28 25,401 or 24.80 (with CR @ 1T)
    @2133 10-11-10-28 26,252 or 25.63

The 2133/CL9 16GB Snipers at stock speed and timings were a bit better:

@2133 9-11-10-28 27,108 or 26.47

Then I went to run the 32GB set (2133/CL9 Ripjaws X), which is when the s*** hit the fan. I had found earlier , that the Fatal1ty mobo maxed at 2133 in the preset DRAM freq and you can’t go and set the freq manually, so I loaded the Ripjaws Xs and enabled XMP and nothing, the BIOS saw the XMP timings but wouldn’t load them – nothing but default 1333. After trial and error and using all the advanced timings by hand, I finally got the sticks going at rated base timings and even slightly tighter, then got a hand from GSkill Tech (Thanx again) and tightened a few of the advanced timings (more experimentation to go, but at this point:

The 2133/CL9 32GB Ripjaws X at stock were a hair slower (prob due to looser stock timings)

@2133 9-11-11-31 26,700 or 26.07

Then rather than continue with the speed, I played some with the 32GB, among other things I set up a couple different RAMDrives (RAMDisk and Primo Ramdisk Pro) and experimented with them some, redirecting all the temp and cache files from Firefox and IE to them (which really did speed up browsing, also set up a version of FireFox on the RamDisk (another performance gain), loaded some utility apps into the drive (again big speed up), then installed Open Office in the RAM Disk and opened a good size spreadsheet in Calc, which was unreal. That testing was somewhat short lived as I was still wanting to try different things in the BIOS, and those that use Ram Drives know, when you shut down the system it seems like it takes forever to save everything in the drive to a harddrive (next on that will be try shutting down all apps and copy the entire RAM drive to a USB3 thumb drive (believe it’ll go much faster and then can copy back after startup).

Next opened a new VM via Oracle VM Virtual Box, and loaded a copy of the Win8 Developers Beta, and ran it within Win7……….all very nice, and everything just ticking away as Sweet as could be, may even pull Win8 off the rig I have it on and just run it here in the VM.

(oh, and I did send a email support request to ASRock asking if they ever plan to update the BIOS to accommodate 8GB sticks and get XMP to work, as well as to open up the DRAM freq to manual settings, etc, and no response a few days now)

UPDATED 4/18/2012 - finally got a response from US Support (after 2 emails to them and a pair to their HQ (both support and their Info section)) that the original support request was sent to their HQ last week, and still haven't heard a word about it..
    Last edited by Tradesman; 04-17-2012, 11:10 PM. Reason: Update

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Looks like a good set up. I wish you luck with a reply from ASRock. I've sent them 2 bad boards and the have called me stupid cuz I can't get them to work. If you have a supervisor's name or number I will call them.
    I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Comment

If nothing by Monday, I think I'm going to approach their corporate folks, I actually got the matter resolved, but them justt ignoring support calls is uncalled for - I'll let you know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks! I appreciate the hand.
        I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Comment

No problem, enough people contact them, they might improve support, they have good mobos, but if support was better, they might add needed features

Tman

Comment

Looks like you are having fun Tradesman !
            one thing i like to address mentioned in OP ..." I did however see in the brief tests I’ve run so far on the sets that the performance rise from 1600 and going up is significant enough (to me anyway) to warrant buying higher freq sets."..SB and up loves higher frequency but you won't see the benefit until you OC your chip (most ppl will tel you you won't see the benefit based on few reviews run @ stock ),the amount of you RAM as well as CPU/RAM frequency will make a difference
            http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mem...3_4.html#sect1
            even with the sucky (loose timings) high frequency RAM you can get pretty decent results but you have to spend some time on your advanced timings ,here is example of 12gb total (2133 CL 11 mixed with 2200 CL7) running 1.575v stable
            i7 3770K/4770K
            ASRock OCF
            Gskill
            ,Crucial C300,WD black,
            GTX570(972/2300)Corsair HX850W,
            Lite-On 24X,Win 7X64bit,TT Spedo

Comment

Agree, which is one reason I just ran all these at a straight 4.6 (idles at 34C), since XMP didn't take and I had/have to figure the best advanced timings, I just wanted to get some comparative numbers up and some other info as I had said earlier in the week I would. Right now I'm playing with the RAM Disk and seeing what I can do with it at 8 or 12GB, Plus everything seems good with multiple VMs running....soon I'll head back to 48/4.9 and kick the BCLK in was running it at a little over 103, but with the higher VCCSA and VCCIO for the DRAM will have to balance out the OC depending on temps, want to keep idle under 40C.

Tman

Comment

the only reason i was running 12Gb is the CL11 kit 8Gb and CL7 4Gb LOL ,have fun
                i7 3770K/4770K
                ASRock OCF
                Gskill
                ,Crucial C300,WD black,
                GTX570(972/2300)Corsair HX850W,
                Lite-On 24X,Win 7X64bit,TT Spedo

Comment

Will be playing for awhile, was thinking I'd have some easy days when I started, then the phone started ringing and have been working most of the weekend, so it's going to take longer than I thought (sort of nice though, have Developers Win8 in a VM updating right now, just hidden away)

Tman

Comment

With their main folks at their HQ having the info for over two weeks already, not expecting much, thankfully I was able to set the 32GB set up manually, but most people would have RMAed the DRAM and been ticked off, only to get another set and be even madder, and the blame goes to the DRAM maker, ASRock needs to get their act together, after multiple emails to the main support and HQ and they just ignore them, makes you wonder if they have any idea what they are doing.

Tman

Comment

After working withASRock on the BIOS needs, and 3 BIOS updates later have it stable at 4.6 and the DRAM OCed to 2400...

Still have work to do, but getting there

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X