Memory Model F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC kit compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on many things as follows:
    Got the full tower case and transferred the hardware to it. Found the old thermal paste only covered the CPU lid at about 50% coverage. The CPU pump head may have not been seated well and or the crappy paste was not good enough. I put the new box together, setting up an AIDA64 test and the temps were maybe 5deg better at approximately 85C. This is with the H115i Corsair Cooler and the H170i is due in today.

The biggest change in CPU temps was with all the above done. However the iICE app was not installed. I removed it long ago trying to resolve a conflict with other lighting apps. I put iICE back on and set it to extreme. The temps dropped dramatically to a max of 78C on the hottest 2 CPU cores. That is about a 20deg drop in temps from the low 90's. In research I find the H115i actually bested the H170i at the time of article publication. A big factor in the comparison was fan speed and total noise generated.

So all is well at the moment and I am about to start work on OC of the Ram Kit and CPU. I may wait until I get the new cooler installed and compare my results to the H1151. Research says the 2 coolers are similar in temps, but the H170i is quieter.

EDIT: Hum, I let the box sit overnight. Upon starting a fresh AIDA64 run, the temps are down further with 73C as the max across 1 core. I don't know if the paste settles in after a first run and power/cooling cycle, but I will take it! New WC AIO is here and next on deck.w

Thanks,
    LB
    Last edited by LBro; 10-22-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LBro View Post
      I don't know if the paste settles in after a first run and power/cooling cycle, but I will take it!
      Yes, that actually is a thing with many different TIM types.
      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Gosh,
        The H170i is warmer than the H150i for sure. I am getting 86C on a couple of cores and that is with wind tunnel fans maxed out. I don't think it is a few revs of the fans that make the difference. In fact I don't understand it. How can 1/3 more radiator = more heat? Something does not add up. Either the pump is not as good or perhaps the extra length of radiator tubing the coolant has to run through is to blame. I checked the paste job and it was fine. I repasted and installed it again. Maybe it came down 1C-2C at best. I guess I will go back to the H150i and see if I can duplicate the decent temps I had. One of these days I may actually get back to OC the dims!

EDIT - UPDATE: Tomorrow I should get this bad boy. An AIO ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420. I read some reviews and while there is no light show.(thus it is half the cost), it cools like a beast. We shall see... If all goes well I should be back up and testing in about 20 hours or less!

LB
        Last edited by LBro; 10-24-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Got the Artic Freeze AIO installed as a test and it ran AIDA64 for 1h 45m with 1 core topped out at 71C. I would estimate the fans are at about 60% - 70% of max. The cooler truly is massive and I had to mount the fans on top of the case. Off to put the case top lid on the milling machine to open up a window for the fans to poke through. Thus I am on schedule to start testing the Dims again near the end of the day.

Thanks,
          LB

Comment

That sounds decent enough. Then let the real fun begin

Comment

Ok,
              Got the box glued together but still have a studio full of parts all over the place. I will deal with that soon.

I ran my DAW in a loop for maybe 20 minus and crashed. Upped the CPU voltages slightly and set up AIDA64 plus the DAW app to run at the same time. I am 1.5 hours into it and running good. I want to get a stable baseline and then OC stuff from there.

One thing I see and am not sure about is voltage fluctuations. For instance. ROG CPU-Z reports the Core Voltage as 1.145 and 1.154v. Is it normal to fluctuate like that?

Thanks,
              LB

Comment

Hi,
                I was able to run AIDA64 including including the RAM test and also ran the DAW in loop mode for 17 hours without a hitch. I stopped the test and within 10 minutes had a stop code. The dimms are basically at stock settings. I ran another test with just the DAW looping by itself overnight (for about 5 hours) and got a stop code: Unexpected_Kernal _Mode_Trap. Which sounds like it could be a memory issue.

Question: How do you determine if RAM is dual rank? How did you know my kit was that? I am beginning to wonder if what you said near the start of this. That dual rank RAM can be a tough go with my MOBO. I have just a few days left to return the RAM and am thinking of doing so. Thus the questions about "dual rank" memory. I am going to put in my old 32GB kit and see if it is stable. That kit is 8GB modules, Model F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR. Is that a single rank kit?

I could test each of the 64GB kits modules to see if one is errant, but I keep coming back to what you said about dual rank. What would you do going forward?

Thanks,
                LB

Comment

What makes you think that stop code is memory related? I wouldn't exactly count that one as one of the typical memory errors like 0x1A or 0x50. It could also hint at the CPU and if it occurred with default settings maybe even software, esp if it always references a specific process.

The issue are not dual rank modules themselves, but specific (newer) BIOS versions that have trouble properly training with them and even kits from the QVL. From what I can tell, the issue with my MXIG started around DDR4-3800+. So with a DDR4-3866 or DDR4-4000 type model, you basically needed to find a version that works best for you. Since the ASUS support never responded to my issue and it actually got worse with newer releases, I did exactly that and ended up with BIOS 0905. That was the last one that worked for me, both with the XMP and overclocked memory.

If you know enough about memory, it is easy enough to tell what ICs are (likely to be) used on specific models and therewith also the modules organization. For example there is exactly one IC that can clear the specs of F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR and those are the infamous Samsung 8Gbit B-die. Based on that we know, those have to be single rank modules, since you only need eight 8Gbit ICs to build a 8GB module resulting in a 1Rx8 configuration.

Comment

Thanks for your response!
                    Though I would think Google searches for information can be taken with a grain of salt most times. It was that in a couple of places that mentioned memory as the top cause of that stop code. Also, this was was not happening with the old DIMMs. I am testing now with the old kit and if software or the CPU is the issue, then it should repeat at some point. Time will tell.

Sounds like you are leaning towards playing around with differing (older) BIOS versions. That might be a plan. It may be a bit tricky as support for differing HW came in at certain BIOS revisions. But it can be sorted and the prior BIOS versions are on my short list. I would love to get the 64GB kit working well and at least stable.

From what I can tell the older kit is single rank.

Your experience with Asus support does not sound encouraging... One reason I like G.Skill is the support. I do thank you and the mods for all the help on various ram issues!

Ok then, my plan is to test away with the older kit. If that is stable I will then pop the 64GB kit back in and try other BIOS revs...

Thanks,
                    LB

Comment

I have been testing the old Dimms (F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR) for over 60 hours straight and not a burp. I will likely return the bigger, unstable Dimms. I am not real keen on going back to a BIOS that is over 2 years old and has had numerous security, stability and other updates. Not to mention the $800 bones they cost. However, I do want to thank you profusely for the help and I learned a lot in so doing.

Question: How far conceivably could the F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR Dimms be pushed? Since everything now looks pretty stable and the temps are under control, it might be worth a shot pushing this kit? Thanks for the info on this kit as I did not realize these were B-die modules! Just wish I had an 8 slot MOBO so I could get up to a full 64GB.

Thanks,
                      LB

Comment

What are the F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR running at right now?

The XMP is already plenty fast, if your system can handle that. Tweak some of the timings and you should be good. For that you can try to re-use those from my screen for 4133 CL17 that I posted earlier in the thread. The timings are not too tight and should work in most cases, even though maxing tREFI can require active cooling. While it is 2x16GB vs your 4x8GB, in the end both configs are four ranks of S8B, so performance should also be very similar (the higher frequency nets you a bit more bandwidth).

Comment

Hi,
                          The present kit, (old Dimms) are running at 4266, or stock XMP II and seems stable as a rock. I have active cooling going on the kit modules, so not an issue there. I will take a look at your timings and give that a go. Stay tuned!

Looking at your timing settings. I take it I am looking at the timings per the "ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE"? Where did you get that utility app that shows those values?

Thanks,
                          LB
                          Last edited by LBro; 11-01-2021, 04:43 AM.

Comment

You can download ATC from directly from the ASRock website, it is part of the software kit for the OC Formula models and also works with ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI motherboards (among others).

Direct: https://download.asrock.com/Utility/...or(v4.0.3).zip
                            Source: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170...mula/#Download

Comment

Great and thanks a lot. I had not seen that before and it looks pretty good. Nice find and thanks again for the insight!
                              LB

Comment

Working...
                              X