No announcement yet.

Memory Model F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC kit compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have strange sleep issues or habbits. So I cover all hours it seems.
    Hum, Not sure exactly how to find the USB drive as it looks like it wants "fs0:" Type drive paths. I have so many drives it become confusing.

LB

Comment

Hum,
      Got a BIOS file saved out to a USB drive. But it is a txt file... ? Is that correct? I was also able to save it as a "CMO" file too. I think that is a BIOS load file?

Got it! :-) All looks good on the save out and restore of BIOS...

Thanks,
      LB
      Last edited by LBro; 10-12-2021, 06:55 AM.

Comment

The .CMO file has all the settings and can be reimported directly. Since those files are version specific, I tend to put them in folders with the number of the BIOS version they are taken from. Like

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Gene > 0806 > S8B_DR_4000C16.CMO
        ASUS ROG Maximus XI Gene > 0903 > S8B_DR_4000C16.CMO
        ASUS ROG Maximus XI Gene > 0905 > S8B_DR_4133C17.CMO

etc, you get the idea.
        Last edited by emissary42; 10-12-2021, 07:52 AM.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Good plan! All set on that front.

About to head out for a couple days of vacation... So it will be later Thursday my time till I get back to this. But while up on the island I will check out some of the bench mark tools you suggested.

Sounds to me like you are in High Tech? I was, but have been retired for a few years now. Tech sure moves fast!

Thanks so much!
          LB
          Last edited by LBro; 10-12-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Hi,
            Would you happen to have a known good and safe link to TestMem5? Most of what I found had issues with my AV app. Did you see any problems in that area with TestMem5? I did find the most recent Anta777 config, I believe. Though I have to look and determine the version in relation to what is out there.

Thanks,
            LB

Comment

Get TestMem5 straight from the source: https://testmem.tz.ru/testmem5.htm

When in doubt, always scan a download with virustotal:

Click image for larger version

Name:	VT_TM5.png
Views:	211
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	167460

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/a...445efa84a412d0

The configuration files are just plain text that you can safely C+P from anywhere. The most recent Anta777 is this one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cEq...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Excellent!
                Thanks again... I will be back at it tomorrow and give this stuff a shot.

I did try that link to Testmem5 prior and just now. Malware Bytes is flagging the site as malicious...

Nice and quiet up here on the island. But no Internet, so I have to cell tether.

Take care and thanks,
                LB
                Last edited by LBro; 10-13-2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Back at it... Not a lot of good to report.

I did not have to run TestMem5 to find out the system is not stable. I did run an AIDA64 for a few minutes. But the temps were a bit much. They ranged up to 92C at peak. This is with a 280mm water cooler on the CPU. I would hope it does better than that, but no. At any rate using the same BIOS settings as the good Memtest86. When Windows is up for 6 hours or less, it gets a BSOD with a hardware looking related stop code.

I am going to work with 3600 and stock XMP II settings while lowering the CPU voltages to what you recommended and see what happens. Maybe if this thing will stabilize, then I can slowly step up to 3800 or 37xx.

Thanks,
                  LB
                  Last edited by LBro; 10-15-2021, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Update:
                    I loaded the XMP 3600 settings and ran Windows. It only went about 4 hours till a BSOD. Did some checking and found some issues on the BIOS, thinking I might go back to something earlier. There was some chatter via Google on one guy going with BIOS ver 606. That is really early, but he was sayin later versions had memory issues. However, though I was certain I had the latest BIOS, I did not. So I loaded it and have been up with stock 3600 XMP II settings with both SA & IO voltages set close to what you suggested, for about 36 hours. That is much better than I was doing. I will probably mem test this as is and go from there.

Any ideas on the CPU temps even though I have a 280mm water cooler? I would think I am shooting for the low 80C's at heavy loads on the CPU?

Thanks,
                    LB

Comment

Before any further memory adventures, I would definitely fix the CPU temperatures. The two obvious things to check are TIM application and if the cooler is properly mounted.

The BIOS might have "automatic turbo enhancement" enabled by default, which can cause power draw to exceed the spec.

If you don't notice the fans spinning up, verify the rpm of the pump and fan configuration (and/or set custom curves).

Comment

I think you are very correct on "Automatic Turbo" being enabled. Makes sense in what you say about the current coming up when that engages. Any tips on configuring around that?

I went ahead and ordered up a new full tower case that has more breathing room and larger case fan options. In addition I went ahead and got a 360mm water CPU cooler. I will clean up the cpu and make sure the new cooler seats well.

On the Ram front, at stock speeds I have ben up for over 2-3 days now without a hitch. I have not ran many tests of late as I have been busy. But I will do more once the new gear is on board. That newest BIOS really seems to have made a difference! It makes me wonder about 3800 and above speeds now. We shall see.

LB

Comment

Originally posted by LBro View Post
                          I think you are very correct on "Automatic Turbo" being enabled. Makes sense in what you say about the current coming up when that engages. Any tips on configuring around that?
                          Disabling the turbo enhancement should restore the CPU boosting to Intel defaults.

It makes me wonder about 3800 and above speeds now.
                          There is only one way to find out

Comment

Let me see if I have this right. What you are calling "Automatic Turbo", is what I find on the Asus Mobo, (which I have) as "Turbo" in BIOS? I changed that from "Enabled" to "Disabled" as those are the only 2 choices. That dropped my CPU Core temps down to 62C max at peak. I assume you are then OC the CPU frequency and other settings such as voltage up to around 5GHz? Further I assume once Turbo is enabled, it is on automatic as it has to control things, like frequency and voltages to the CPU based upon CPU demand?

FYI
                            At 3600, the run time on it was 53 hours in Win without an issue. AIDA64 has run about 40 mins now without a hitch. I will add the new HW and go after OC of the CPU and RAM. Looks like this is going to take a while...

Thanks,
                            ​​​​​​​LB

Comment

Let me see if I have this right. What you are calling "Automatic Turbo", is what I find on the Asus Mobo, (which I have) as "Turbo" in BIOS?
                              Set "ASUS Multicore Enhancement" to disabled. That reverts the turbo boost to default behavior.

For manual CPU OC just follow one of the guides. The good ones cover all the required steps. I would wait for the new cooler though, since you probably don't want to go through all the steps twice and the frequency limit can be higher with a larger/better AIO.
                              Last edited by emissary42; 10-18-2021, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Agree on waiting for the new AIO. Should be here tomorrow. I followed a guide to OC up to 5GHz and gave it a quick AIDA64 and the temps were uh, hot. Something is not right I suspect on the old AIO. But no matter, I will get the new AIO to fly better. From what I understand this Intel I-9 CPU has solder in place of the internal thermal paste, so that part of it should be solid.

More as it develops and thanks,
                                LB

Comment

Working...
                                X