New build questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build questions

Hi, newby with just a few questions. I am buying components for a new build.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt (with latest updated Bios)
    Intel Core i7 3770K Quad Core Processor (XMP Profile)
    G. Skill Trident X Series 32 GB PC3-19200
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Question: Will this setup run 32 gigs of ram listed above?
    Question: Does setting XMP overclock the CPU?

I am excited to try GSkill ram but just want to make sure before purchase. Thanks in advance for any help!

It should yes. Off hand I don't know if the BIOS is up to snuff on that mobo, but if it's not (and many aren't) just give a holler, I'm running the same sticks with a 3570K on a ASRock mobo (and helped ASRock get their BIOS up to date, these take a 300+ tRFC and when I got the set they had a 255 lock on the tRFC, now they have the BIOS good to go)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks,
      I know the bios has to be updated after purchase.
      Do you know if XMP is selected, does it overclock the CPU or just the ram?
      Thanks

Comment

It should OC the CPU to 39-40 or so, depending on what they figure the CPU needs to run to carry 2400 sticks - that can often be a problem as few mobo makers truly 'test' any DRAM at it's given freq, they normally 'test' at the mobo default of 1333 or 1600 (see my info thread on QVLs here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

CPU Frequency will not be overclocked, it will remain at default. You can manually do it by increasing CPU Ratio. At a certain point you will need to raise CPU Voltage as well to stabilize the increased frequency.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X