Clear All

• Prime 95

My Computer
    Z77 G43 MSi Mobo
    I7 3770
    16 G. G.skill rated at 1600mhz
    Windows 7 Home Premium

[IMG]puu.sh/1Z2fW[/IMG]
    I am getting different readings on my CPU based on what I use to stress test. My RAM is sitting around 960, but my concern is when I go to stress test using prime 95, my cpu drops down to 4.2-3. When I run benchmarks for the RAM it jumps back up to ~4.4 where I expect it to be with the FSB increase. Is this a problem with Prime 95, or a bios issue? Some programs use the full speed I set, while others don't. Is there another program I can use to stress test that will jump up to whatever speed I set through the FSB? I am lost. Still liking this RAM, but my CPU has me stumped. Maybe that is just what happens when I go cheap and get a locked CPU. Anyways, thanks for reading.

-Jon

Might try turning SpeedStep, etc off in the BIOS

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Might try turning SpeedStep, etc off in the BIOS
      I'll give that a try. Would I have to turn off all the cool power saving features for everything? Was hoping I could set it up so when idle, the clocks/volts drop.

lulz. Keep forgetting about that verification.

Might have to explore bios a bit more, or flash to newest version. That was a no go. Maybe the mobo is trying to force the multiplier up, and only works on certain occasions?
      Last edited by jon666; 02-07-2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

With the locked version speedstep/turbo boost/offset vCore/etc act on the need of the CPU for more power, with that off it will remain more stable at the stock setting

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

P95, OCCT and Linpack are all super stressful programs to find any weak link in your system. With power saving controls active, the CPU frequency will tend to drop when the cores are all @ 100% load for any period of time. Benchmarks do not hold the CPU cores @ 100% like the three stress testing programs listed above.

You only need to disable the power saving features while stress testing your system if you are not seriously overclocked, in which case you may need to leave some power saving BIOS options disable to retain 100% stability. Only step-by-step testing can tell you for sure, when OC'd to the max.

Comment

Originally posted by Techmeister View Post
            P95, OCCT and Linpack are all super stressful programs to find any weak link in your system. With power saving controls active, the CPU frequency will tend to drop when the cores are all @ 100% load for any period of time. Benchmarks do not hold the CPU cores @ 100% like the three stress testing programs listed above.

You only need to disable the power saving features while stress testing your system if you are not seriously overclocked, in which case you may need to leave some power saving BIOS options disable to retain 100% stability. Only step-by-step testing can tell you for sure, when OC'd to the max.
            Might have to try disabling everything power saving related and try it again just to see where it goes to.

Comment

I finally figured it out. Was messing around with the turbo settings, guess turbo can kick in even higher if your mobo allows you to tell it to do so. Can push it up to 4.5, but it only stays there if the program is that demanding. I am happy with this. Doesn't get above 1.3 volts either! Course, if I were to lock it at 4.5 somehow, I might need that extra bit of juice to keep it stable.

Comment

That's good info to know, thanks for sharing, keep us updated

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X