Memory won't work with docp at 3200mhz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory won't work with docp at 3200mhz

I have gskills G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-64GTRS.

When I set DOCP in bios it boots. But once i start to run games like forza horizon or msfs i get hard freezes or as for msfs game won't even load. When I ran windows memory test it fails pretty much at 4 or 5% I know it's not uncommon for memory to do this since it is an overclock. My setup is as follows Asus crosshair formula x570, amd ryzen 3950x, bios version 3904. Theirs only 1 newer bios then mine just released this month. I have yet to test each memory individually and although I'm sure it will pin the memory down to maybe just one bad n one good if that's the case. I checked the qvl n this memory isn't on asus's list however gskill lists it as memory that can be used on it. Im just trying to figure it out without having to rma the kit since it will put my pc out of service for a few weeks. Maybe theirs a workaround on more volts or different timings or something other then rmaing the kit which i want to be as a last resort option. Thanks again in advance.

Originally posted by Gio2vanni86 View Post
    I have yet to test each memory individually and although I'm sure it will pin the memory down to maybe just one bad n one good if that's the case.
    That is recommend to figure out, if one of the modules is maybe defective or it is more of a general configuration or hardware issue.
    Also make sure to use the two primary DIMM slots, usually DIMM A2 and B2.

As far a workarounds go, the first thing you would have to check is whether the system is stable at default settings = XMP disabled. Only then testing the XMP with a (slightly) reduced DRAM frequency and/or adjusting the voltages for DRAM/SOC could potentially help. When the system on the other hand fails stability tests even at default settings, it is very unlikely any amount adjustments would solve your issues and then a RMA is most likely required.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

When the memory is set to auto, it reads 1340 in cpuid. I run memtest and I get no errors. Forgot to mention that. as for a workaround I once had a kit the needed more volts to get working right since board was reporting wrong readings even manually inputted. Was a asrock board not asus figured maybe I could go over or under just figured 3200mhz was solid for AMD ryzen. Thanks for the reply. I'll do them individually just seems more likely tested to work but not guarantee. Never had issues with my g skill ares on my z77 board. Literally set it and they ran 800mhz no problem on xmp.
      Last edited by Gio2vanni86; 03-10-2022, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Comment

Load BIOS defaults and try DOCP again. If unstable, try a lower DRAM Frequency like 2933 to see if it can be more stable. If both modules have same result individually, it may be best to try the latest BIOS.

Comment

I've noticed with ryzen DRAM calculator it seems like a few settings are different on it then what the memory modules themselves put with DOCP is enabled. I'll report back once i try 2933.
            Last edited by Gio2vanni86; 03-13-2022, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Tried 2933 and looked promising but about 9% into the test started getting errors.

Comment

What are the results of individual testing?

Comment

Haven't tested individual sticks yet, but i did flash the bios to the latest bios ver. 4006. Still failed at 9%. Was hopeful since i was able to achieve 3200mhz on my 2nd build that i built for fun and my niece has it, different memory modules and board but i had the same problem on it. Same company for memory which is you guys Gskill. But this time at 3200mhz it ran good with the latest bios. Its not easy to take the memory out and i want it to be a last resort. Even if i test them individually and say one is bad that means i have to RMA the memory as a kit. I mind as well buy another kit, my pc cannot go down for weeks. I'm just going to buy another kit and if it works i'll rma this one and have a backup or maybe i'll have two bad kits that i have to RMA. Just waiting on cash flow since memory isnt cheap.

Comment

The individual test is also useful to rule out a more general hardware issue with either motherboard and CPU. Removing the memory normally is not a big issue, unless it is a very crammed ITX build. If you already ordered a second kit, I would still do the individual test first, before opening/testing the new kit... in case the issue is not specific to a module = the memory itself, you could maybe return the 2nd one unopened.
                    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1987.jpg Views:	3 Size:	306.1 KB ID:	168130 try 2T an not 1T, 5600x an 4000mhz cl 18 2T 2x32GB no xmp
                      Last edited by Martin.v.r; 03-28-2022, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
                        The individual test is also useful to rule out a more general hardware issue with either motherboard and CPU. Removing the memory normally is not a big issue, unless it is a very crammed ITX build. If you already ordered a second kit, I would still do the individual test first, before opening/testing the new kit... in case the issue is not specific to a module = the memory itself, you could maybe return the 2nd one unopened.
                        If its a bad cpu or motherboard then im just going to stick to memory running at 2666mhz because its all waterblocked and i aint doing this all over again. I think the memory modules need different timings and its not even on QVL so im not going to die over it. I swear if i pop in the corsair modules and it works, i wont bother buying gskill ever again.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Martin.v.r View Post
                          Click image for larger version Name:	image_1987.jpg Views:	3 Size:	306.1 KB ID:	168130 try 2T an not 1T, 5600x an 4000mhz cl 18 2T 2x32GB no xmp
                          I'll give it a shot, thanks for the reply martin

Comment

we found out that if you set xmp, mem would run 1T and they could not, so we do not use xmp, but set mem in bios to 2T and the speed + volts
                            then we can always play, later with subtiming

Comment

can you provide screenshot from app called zentimings? that could tell more info about your ram timings/voltages setup by your mainboard
                              https://www.techpowerup.com/download...n-zen-timings/

Comment

Working...
                              X