F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC not stable at 3200MHz and beyond on QVL motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HisEvilness View Post
    It should work why i point out that the motherboard might be at play but correct you would need spare parts or have a friend who has this laying around.
    It'd settle for somebody demonstrating the same set-up (or similar enough) working properly, preferably out-of-the-box.

QVL for your motherboard is listed here: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570%2...x.asp#MemoryMS It covers most brands just make sure you use C16 with 64GB capacity. As far as i can tell looking at the page for Mattise there all Samsung B-die.
    It just lists 3 HyperX kits at 3600MT with 64GB (note that many kits are listed using not all 4 modules), but I think all 3 of them are CL17, not CL16, so it'd be a (small) downgrade that shouldn't be needed in the first place.

My 4000C17 is just to illustrate that using 4 sticks is not a problem the same kit is also on the QVL list for Ryzen. Base speed is 3466 not the best bin but it is right up there.
    Oh, I'm aware things like this *can* work, which is why I bought this set-up in the first place. However, it somehow doesn't, and I want to know why.

Comment

You could ask on the PCMR Reddit or Discord for either overclocker or the tech-support people. Besides that i can not be of further assistance.

The kits i listed are RGB kits but this following selection is QVL for your motherboard: https://www.gskill.com/configurator?...%C2%A73600MHz,

Comment

Well, I went to Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comm...not_stable_at/
        One of the speculations there is that G.skill is misleading their costumers with their QVL lists. However, my problem wasn't solved.

I did notice everybody running at 3600MHz and higher was using 3900X CPUs and better, and I recently managed to get my hands on an 3950X; same problem. I'm quite convinced now my motherboard is the problem; I've literally replaced everything else. However, since my motherboard works perfectly at slower speeds, it doesn't seem defective, and I (just like Reddit) am doubting G.skill actually tested their RAM at the advertised XMP settings for the QVL list.

Thanks for the discussion here; I'm probably moving this to email with G.skill and the shop from which I bought everything, to check for my options for returning this defective equipment.

Comment

Aye m8 good luck, if you ever find out what it was, drop a line here because I am really curious now after that much effort from all sides.

Cheers,

Comment

If I find out, I certainly will! And thank you for your help!

Comment

(Sorry for the incredibly late response!)

Gskill has made it clear to me that they have no interest in fixing this problem. In other words, one needs to take their QVL lists with a grain of salt, because it contains configuration that Gskill can't demonstrate to actually be stable.

It's a shame, because their RAM specs really look good. But yeah, if you allow unstable configurations to be deemed "OK", I can see how one can beat the competition...

Comment

Can one module run at DDR4-3200 or 3600? Did you have the same exact issue with the other memory kit?

Load BIOS defaults, enable XMP, set DRAM Frqeuency to DDR4-3200 (then 3600 if successful), and see if that can work properly for each module.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                  Can one module run at DDR4-3200 or 3600?
                  Using only one module works fine.

Did you have the same exact issue with the other memory kit?
                  Yes. Also with both CPU's (3800X and 3950X). At 3000MHz, the CPU starts reporting errors (but mostly doesn't crash). At 3200MHz, the system in unstable, either crashing under load, or when almost idle (I suspend switching power states).

Load BIOS defaults, enable XMP, set DRAM Frqeuency to DDR4-3200 (then 3600 if successful), and see if that can work properly for each module.
                  I've tried that over a dozen times (with the full set, though). DDR4-3200 isn't stable. DDR4-3000 reports error. I'm at DDR4-2800 right now. (With CMD 1T and IF at 1800MHz though.)

Comment

So each module is perfectly stable at DDR4-3600, how about two modules?

Comment

If I remember correctly, it already started destabilizing, but not down to DDR4-2800. And putting both modules in the two other banks didn't make a difference.

Comment

Working...
                      X