Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripjaws-X CL9 lowest latency

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and was looking for some advice on the best way to OC my 4GB of RAM.
    It's rated speed is 1600 @9-9-9-24-1.5v
    However a lot of people have told me if I bump it up to 1.65v it should run comfortably @1866 10-10-10-26/30
    I have tried these suggestions and different variations of timings and clock speed, I just can't seem to get it stable apart from at 1600 8-8-8-24.
    I guess my question is, what is the fastest setting for this RAM with my system, I don't really care about Volts/Heat as I have very good Air Cooling.
    Thanks

System:

AMD FX-4100 BE @ 4.6Ghz (Arctic Freezer Pro7: Idle 11*C - Load 60*C)
    GA-970a-UD3
    2x2GB Ripjaws-X CL9-XL
    Sparkle GTX 560 1GB OC
    600W Xigmatek PSU
    Windows 8 x64 Pro

Can possibly get 1866 with the timings and voltage you show by adding about 0.1 to the CPU/NB voltage and add a bit of voltage to the vCore (CPU voltage)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Can possibly get 1866 with the timings and voltage you show by adding about 0.1 to the CPU/NB voltage and add a bit of voltage to the vCore (CPU voltage)
      Thanks for your quick reply However,
      I have done that, up to +0.125 on CPU/NB and I am already up from 1.475 - 1.550 on the vCore for my CPU overclock. with the added v's it runs at 1866 13-13-13-30/43 but those timings are so loose the extra speed is countered and system runs really boggy, anything less than these timings at 1866 though and I get BSOD's when windows loads.

*EDIT*
      Also have the NB frequency at 2400, wont go any higher without BSOD

Comment

I was hoping, but looks like your 4100 can't effectively carry 1866 (and most can't). Amd advertises the FX CPUs as UP TO 1866 WITH 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL, what they don't say is that really for the most part only applies to their upper end FXs like the 8350 and 8150 (and even many of those have problems with 1866

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I was hoping, but looks like your 4100 can't effectively carry 1866 (and most can't). Amd advertises the FX CPUs as UP TO 1866 WITH 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL, what they don't say is that really for the most part only applies to their upper end FXs like the 8350 and 8150 (and even many of those have problems with 1866
          Ahh, that is disappointing :/.... Never mind, The performance jump between 1600 and 1866 isn't massive anyway if I believe what i've been reading, I'll just have to work on reducing the latency/timings at 1600... any tips, should I keep it at 1.65 and continue to lower the timings, do you think it is possible for the Cas9 RAM to run at Cas7 perhaps?

Comment

The CAS will help if lower, might try like 7-10-9-25 or since at 8 now try dropping the CR to 1N, may have to boost the CPU/NB a bit more

Tman

Comment

Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to say it's already at 1N (1T on my board) I'll keep trying to lower the timings.. which of the timings is more likely to cause crash/instability.. and do you think my RAM will be safe and benefit from running at 1.7v ?

Comment

The CAS is most likely to throw things, as far as 1.7, I try to not go more than 0.15 over rated voltage, the rest just sort of becomes a balancing/testing thing....there are no 'set' parameters that will work, I've had occasion to build numerous 'identical' systems and almost always find the systems to use a variety of different settings to achieve the same basic performance levels.

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your help.
                  I think i'm just going to leave it, got it running nice and snappy at 8-8-8-24/33 @1.65 1600 - I just thought I would try and squeeze a bit more juice out of it as I can't get any more out of CPU or Graphics card, at this moment I believe it is my PSU that is holding me back or I might get on a bit better if I drop in another 4GB kit in. Thanks again

Comment

No problem, keep in touch

Tman

Comment

Hi,
                      Well, I had them running stable at 1600Mhz Cas8 timings, however i've been doing some experimenting and it seems strangely my RAM won't run at 1866Mhz with anything less than 13-13-13-39 timings however, get this..... it seems to be running stable at 2000Mhz 10-10-10-30 timings (250FSB x18.5 - CPU 4.625Ghz) and it's giving me noticeably different scores in benchmarks in comparison to when I had it XMP 1.2 or Cas8. might try and push it to 9-10-9-28 but I don't know if I can be bothered with the hassle of opening my case to reset the board again (Big hands and poor cable management)
                      Anyway i'll keep you posted if I improve on things otherwise, thanks again for your help Take care.

Comment

Might want to keep your eyes out for a BIOS upgrade, am thinking they may have a glitch in the 1866 setup

Tman

Comment

That is very creepy, i was looking at bios upgrade when I got the notification for your reply
                          Although to no avail, I have the newest bios for the revision of board I have (1.2)
                          Rev.3.0 had newer bios versions but didn't want to risk flashing my bios with that.
                          The problems with the 1866 may have something to do with the bios being a BETA version.
                          It's all good though, i'm happy with it running @2000Mhz, not bad for humble 1600 kit

Comment

Very good, and CL10 is nice and tight for that!

Tman

Comment

yep... but 0.1 is to match most of the time, from what i have seen it goes from 0.04-0.08(depends on mobo and cpu), for me 0.07 is stable.

Comment

Working...
                              X