RAM for a Ryzen 5900x build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM for a Ryzen 5900x build

Hi everyone, I am building a new computer with the new Ryzen 5900x in mind. I have selected the ASRock Taichi x570 motherboard and trying to figure out what a good RAM chipset would be for it, currently all the documentation points to the older slower models of various G Skill components with the previous CPU generations. Is there any testing going on currently through G Skill or other companies to see what works best? Just trying to plan everything out now that I am able to so there are hopefully no issues upon initial release. I don’t want anything below 3600 MHz. If anyone has any good insight, it would be appreciated. I’ve been a long-time G Skill user and it’s the only RAM I buy. Thanks

Judging from other platform releases in the past the QVL tests are probably done with retail hardware, so don't expect QVL updates until after the new CPUs are available.

If you don't need more than 64GB, some of the popular B-Die based kits are probably still the way to go for Zen3, since they can hit high frequencies with very low timings (3800c14, 4000c15, 4400c16/c17).
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

At this moment since there is no concrete evidence of what would be best, do you have particular models of these kits from either Newegg, Amazon, etc? Most things I find say made for Intel XMP 2.0?

Comment

Intel Extreme Memory Profiles are an extension of the JEDEC standard and currently there is no DDR4 alternative from AMD to supply specifications that go beyond the speed bins defined in the standard (like 2666 CL19 or 3200 CL22). While AMD platforms don't officially support XMP, the motherboard manufacturers have implemented workarounds for that (DOCP/A-XMP). However because most of the AMD specific timings do not exist in the XMP standard, compatibility depends on these workarounds making the proper adjustments. That why it is recommended to watch the G.SKILL QVLs if you don't want to go the full manual route.

It is pretty safe to assume that any Ryzen 3000 compatible models will also work @ XMP with Ryzen 5000 processors without any adjustments required. So all of these should be safe picks:

https://www.gskill.com/configurator?...d%C2%A73600MHz,
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Until the new CPUs hit the street it's unknown what the best speeds will be for Zen 3. My Zen 2 CPU handles DDR4-3200 natively which is the top JEDEC speed. Hard to say if Zen 3 will bump up past the JEDEC speeds.
          Corsair Carbide 300R & TX850V2
          Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
          AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3 Black Edition 125W
          G.SKILL F3-17000CL11-4GBXL + Micron 8KTF25664AZ-1G6M1
          EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2
          Asus PA238QR

Comment

Go for 4000MT/s id say. Zen2 could reliably achieve 1900FCLK so if its as good you can run it at 3800MT/s and if its better you will be able to run it at 4000 1:1:1. (or more with a mild OC on the DIMMs - SoC lottery permitting)

If you plan on running the ratios out of sync then some motherboards will allow 5000MT/s and above. but this isn't reccomended with ryzen.
            Id also go for dual rank modules. \

Basically what iv just done ready for Zen3

Comment

Working...
            X