Why g.skill dont provide fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why g.skill dont provide fans?

Last G.Skill RAM I had was DDR3 G.Skill for my old Haswell build. It comes with fan but honestly, I never used it. I even have to remove the red fins on my rams and never had problems.

Recently, I upgrade my system to ryzen and bought a ridiculously expensive DDR4 3600mhz CL14. My own fault since I didnt do much reasearch which is part of stupid me.

Anyway, I started ocing memory memory 1usmus have a nice little program. I managed to oc my Ram to 3800 mhz CL16 and dropped the latency to about 60ns.

It was stable for few hours until middle of playing, system just reboot with no errors nothing. Make long story short, I found out that at over 50 deg C DIMMS temp, system is unstable.

I installed spare 120mm fan directly to DIMM and never reach a part were system reboots itself.

So, why is it that G.SKILL never bother to include fans to their expensive kits???

I have ordered one locally and its only less 20 usd which is maybe less than 10usd for G.SKILL..
    Last edited by dam_dam; 08-21-2020, 09:16 PM.

Lower DRAM Voltage modules should be able to run cooler. 50C should still be fine without a cooler, assuming that is the max temp under load.

Comment

Also bundling Fans with them would add to the costs of those kits for all users, even those that don't require them, because they just enable the XMP and/or have more/better airflow around the DIMMs.

Back in the days there were lots of Trident X (DDR3), Ripjaws Z (DDR3) and later even Ripjaws 4 (DDR4) models that included fans, even though it was completely optional to use them for the vanilla XMP and often even when overclocked. I did however quite like those plain cardboard boxes the single or double fan kits came in, instead of the usual blister packaging =)
      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        Lower DRAM Voltage modules should be able to run cooler. 50C should still be fine without a cooler, assuming that is the max temp under load.
        I did lower temps but after some time, 30 mins or 1 hour, I have to increase the voltage as my system refuse to pass through DRAM check (Asus MOBO).

emissary42 , Maybe so. Then G.Skill should make some kind of bundle of buyer wants with fan or not. I have alot of airflow in my case (I believe so since I have 9 fans all in all (Lian li case) and I could touch my DRAMs when it shut down (during game crash or so.)

edit: I just received the turbulence iii fan. and after an hour of memory stability test using aida 64, my DIMMs never reach 50 degrees. 49.6 to be exact. Take note I am using XMP voltage of 1.45v. Without the fans, in just 5 mins of stability test, DIMM temps are over 50 degrees.

Now I can OC more my DIMMS using 1.45V
        Last edited by dam_dam; 08-24-2020, 10:29 PM.

Comment

My rig has lots of fans so my G.Skill Flare X RAM runs cool. DDR4 runs at 1.2 V and DDR5 is going to 1.1V so the heat will be negligible which means my fans run quiet with hardly any work to do.
          Corsair Carbide 300R & TX850V2
          Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
          AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3 Black Edition 125W
          G.SKILL F3-17000CL11-4GBXL + Micron 8KTF25664AZ-1G6M1
          EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2
          Asus PA238QR

Comment

Originally posted by HARDCORE GAMES™ View Post
            My rig has lots of fans so my G.Skill Flare X RAM runs cool. DDR4 runs at 1.2 V and DDR5 is going to 1.1V so the heat will be negligible which means my fans run quiet with hardly any work to do.
            at stock yes it is 1.2V. XMP profile is higher than that. 1.35 and above. If you plan on running your system without XMP, then you dont even need a heatsink and run naked rams. But nowadays, nobody buy naked RAM since most consumer buy parts with considering of aesthetics, rgbs, heatsinks, color etc. And all ram manufacturers are advertising all their rams at XMP settings. Meaning they are over JEDEC standards, which is mostly 1.35v and above. More voltage, more heat. but you get a higher frequency RAM with tigher voltage.

My system also have a lot of fans because my case allowed me to install alot of fans. But at long gaming, or long usage of system (more than 1 hr), my RAMs are reaching more than 50 deg C, in which at certain time, my system just restart by itself. After I install additional fan (turbulence ii fan), even I did a 6 hrs memory stability test, my RAM never reaches 50 deg C. In which I have never experience any shutdown nor instability after that cheap, tiny little fans for my RAM.

Comment

My chassis has 230mm fans, my RAM runs very cool even with the XMP active
              Corsair Carbide 300R & TX850V2
              Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
              AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3 Black Edition 125W
              G.SKILL F3-17000CL11-4GBXL + Micron 8KTF25664AZ-1G6M1
              EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2
              Asus PA238QR

Comment

Working...
              X