Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 3200 MHz RAM only runs at 2133 MHz....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, so the sticks seemed to run ONLY for the boot I had first attempted XMP profile on.

The next day I went to boot up, same issue as before, no boot, no screen (had an A2 code on my mobo, which meant "IDE detect" for some reason). Cleared CMOS by removing the battery, rebooted fine, entered BIOS, reloaded my saved overclocking profile for my CPU (which was on before and always working), and it worked, checked my NZXT info to see the RAM has reverted back to 15-15-15-36 1066MHz as per the CMOS reset.

So now I will try XMP Profile on one stick at a time as suggested earlier. Thank you. The fact that it only booted up once with the profile working tells me this isn't going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
      The setting you need to enable is XMP - for the Intel Extreme Memory Profile that holds the kits specifications. It always has to be enabled manually on all platforms, regardless if Intel or AMD, by design. Also make sure to use the memory slots that are recommended in the manual of your MB (usually A2+B2).
      You can check the current memory frequency with CPU-Z, in the memory tab it should show 1600MHz which equals DDR4-3200 (because of the double data rate) and the primary timings 16-18-18-38.
      Okay so here's how I performed the test:

Boot Up - OK
      Shutdown, leave one stick in A2, power on to windows, verify MHz, frequency timing in NZXT
      Reset to BIOS, turn on XMP profile, save and reset to windows, verify MHz, frequency timing in NZXT
      Reset to confirm boot up into windows and verify MHz, frequency timing in NZXT
      SHUT DOWN
      Boot up to confirm OK and in windows verify MHz, frequency timing in NZXT

With both sticks it passed going to XMP and saving and resetting to windows, as well as the two resets to windows, always verifying MHz at 1600 (of 1599 or 1601) along with timing of 16-16-16-38 (or whatever).

But they BOTH failed booting again after complete and total shutdown. It would not start up again. No boot, no beep, no monitor signal, just hanging. I'd have to shut off by holding power down, then CMOS reset with the battery, then start again.

Then what I did was, with both sticks in, go into XMP again and snap a photo of the changes the BIOS told me were going to occur.

Then I shut down knowing it would not boot up properly; reset the CMOS, got it all running again, THEN in BIOS I changed all those settings MANUALLY - I did not use the XMP profile - and it has restarted, shut down, booted up, and been verified in NZXT as two sticks running at 1600MHz each at 16-16-16-38..... (the attached photo is the ABOVE confirmation screen where I DID use XMP; that was obviously absent from the next settings confirmation screen).

So it looks like this may work, BUT is not having XMP on different than manually changing these settings?

Or should it have worked simply? Is there something wrong with my ram sticks?

In any case, take note G. Skill, no one should have to do all this. This is ridiculous. I'll from here on in be ensuring my sticks are plug-n-play only.

Comment

Working...
      X