Gaming PC - 2 or 4 DIMMS? ATX or ITX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming PC - 2 or 4 DIMMS? ATX or ITX?

I would like to build a new computer, with priority #1 to make it best for playing PUBG, I know it's not the most optimized game, but it's only game I really play.

From what I've gather, PUBG's bottlenecks are CPU and RAM speed.

I currently have a GTX 1080 and am looking at i5 9600K, but need to purchase the motherboard and RAM, and would like advice on what will be best.

The priority is performance, and justified value. So my main concerns are:
    1. ITX vs ATX
    2. 2 Vs 4 sticks of RAM

Initially I wanted to just get an ATX like Asus Maximus IX Hero to maximise phase control and better components for best overclocking performance and combine it with the fastest speed RAM which is 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL15. But after watching this Bullzoid video about RAM, Daisy Chains and T-Topology (https://youtu.be/3vQwGGbW1AE), I'm concerned as to what would get me the best performance, an ITX or an ATX setup with 2 or 4 sticks of RAM??

Looking at top streamers setups like Shroud and WackyJacky you could see that they use 4x8GB RAM but will looser timings, for example Shroud has 3600CL17. But according to above video and logic, using 2 sticks of higher speed RAM with only 2 DIMM slots available - should yield better PUBG performance, right?

Can someone advice me on what would be the best PC Build then?
    1. ITX with 2 DIMM slots and fastest 2 sticks of RAM
    2. ATX with 2 DIMM slots (EVGA Dark or Asus Gene) and fastest 2 sticks of RAM
    3. ATX with 4 DIMM slots and fastest 2 sticks of RAM
    4. ATX with 4 DIMM slots and slower 4 sticks of RAM

I'm guessing that the best idea would be No.2, but could anyone confirm that it would be worth the extra 150$ or it would be an unnoticeable increase to fps, especially in comparison to scenario No.3?

P.S. Also, I don't get this. G.Skills sells 2x8GB 3600CL15, but don't sell it as 4x8GB kit. But what if I purchase 2 sets of them, would that mean I get 4x8GB 3600CL15 or the mobo won't be able to handle this and I would be reverted to looser timing to get it to work?
    Last edited by XpertMan; 04-16-2019, 12:18 PM.

Will be very fast either way, however if it's worth the $150, that's difficult to say. In most cases it's just a matter of whether the user would like to reach maximum performance. Otherwise, it would be difficult to notice a difference especially without a benchmark or side by side comparison.

Only a single kit of RAM is guaranteed to work together in a system. By mixing separate kits, rated specs are no longer guaranteed. In some cases they can work well together, others may need to reduce timings to prove more stable, however the only way to know is to test and find out.

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I'm just puzzled by the Ryzen Memory Support table (even though I'm looking at Intel CPU).

It suggest that Single Rank, Dual Channel, 2 Dimm is best.

The table, states that with this, the memory officially can run at the fastest speed of 2667. But would it really matter and make a difference, if you used 2/2 DIMM slots or 2/4 DIMM slots?

Would you know if there big performance penalty - or it will at most be a 200 MHz difference between RAM clock speeds?

Comment

No, just make sure to purchase the full amount you may need for the system. Mixing multiple kits down the road may have issues.

Just depends on the model you purchase. Using the G.Skill QVL is safest for guaranteed results.

Comment

Working...
        X