Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the max speed I can run? (A85x A10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the max speed I can run? (A85x A10)

I'm building my first gaming rig using a FM2A85X Extreme4-M motherboard and a AMD A10 5800k apu. I have almost everything picked out except for the ram and PSU. I've decided I want to run 16 gb (8 now and additional 8 later) of G.skill ram, but i don't know what speed I should use.

I would like to run 4gb of 1866 ram in each dimm slot for a total of 16gb but as i was looking around the forum I found a link to AMD's DDR3 frequency guide and it mentioned that the maximum speed supported for the integrated memory controllers are limited to the number of dimm's used. I know the A8's are limited to 1866 for 2 dimm's and only 1333 for 4, but I'm pretty sure that was for the A8 Llano series and I have to yet find any info for the A10 trinity series.

So I guess my main question is whether I can run 1886 in four dimm's or will I need to drop down to 1600 or even 1333 in order to maintain stability and utilise all 16 gb of memory?

And I don't know if it matters but the ram I'm looking at using is either

The sniper series
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=385

or Ripjaws x series
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=378

Thanks in advance.

Id lean towards the Snipers personally, thats the line I've had the best luck with on AMD rigs, with the 5800 I've seen folks run up to 2400, and the APUs seem to like fast DRAM, so might want to look at 2133, could always drop them to 1866 and tighten the timings for a boost. If so might look at F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR.
    Last edited by Tradesman; 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

How much would overclocking the ram affect the overall power draw, if at all? I'm currently going to be running an Antec 380w power supply in my build and my estimated wattage under full load appears as if it will already run near 90-100% after all of my upgrades.

And iv'e decide to use the FM2A85x Extreme6 motherboard instead of the 4-m.

Comment

DRAM draws very little and OCed less than an extra watt, prob more like a 1/4 watt

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK, thanks for the reply.

Comment

No problem, keep us updated

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X