Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with F3-12800CL7D-8GBSR and Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3

Hi there

This is a first post and a pretty long one . I have searched the forums and the web for a possible answer but have been unable to, so here we go.

The problem: When using a kit of 8GB I cannot get the specified timings with each kit unless I set them manually and I cannot get the specified timings at all when using 2 kits (16GB), it crashes when I use manual timings.

RAM Modules: G-Skill F3-12800CL7D-8GBSR (2x4GB) (2 Sets) 16GB - The four serial numbers are sequential
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
    Bios Version: F9C
    Bios Versions used to try and fix problem: F4, F8, F9C
    GPU: Sapphire HD6970 x 2
    CPU: i7 2600K @ 4.0GHz
    CPU: Cooling: Corsair H100 Extreme Closed Loop Water
    PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1200W

Both G-Skill and Gigabyte list this RAM as being on the QVL and advertise this as such on their sites

History:
    This system has been running with 8 GB Corsair Ram (4x 2GB which was part of a triple channel kit). This RAM worked in both XMP and manual settings and to the specifications and timings as outlined in their relative data sheets. The system was running successfully and stable with overclocks of 5.1GHz with suitable voltages and settings to facilitate the stability.

Today I received my new G-Skill RAM modules that I imported from Australia (I couldn’t find any in New Zealand) and accordingly set to installing them into my system. Powered down, removed power cord waited for about 10 minutes then removed existing RAM, inserted new RAM in all four slots, The first pack into modules 1 and 3, the second pack into modules 2 and 4.

I reapplied power to the system and cleared the CMOS via the motherboard button. Entered the BIOS and set the machine up with the following settings:
    4Ghz - 40/100
    VCore - 1.30v
    LLC – 7
    QPI-VTT - 1.18v
    CPU PLL - 1.56v

As I did with my previous RAM, I set the timings manually, and the system would not start. It shuts down during POST and applies a default BIOS setting and advises that overclocking or voltage changes have caused instability.

It eventually cycles through to windows and CPU-z advises that the timings are 11-11-11-28. Once again I reboot and set the Memory to XMP profile and leave everything on automatic. Windows loads and CPU-z reveals timings of 8-8-7-24. I restart the machine and manually set the timings to 7-8-7-24 – the machine refuses to post and cycles through its overclock routine then starts with CPU-z sitting at 11-11-11-28.

To establish if there is fault with any of the Modules I then set up the four modules in their two sets and apply them as an 8GB setting’s and go through the same routine as with the 16GB. I tried each pair in slots 1 and 3 then 2 and 4, then combined one of each pair and vice versa and tried them in the various slot configurations. All tests revealed the same results:

When run in XMP mode with all other memory settings on Auto, the memory would show up in CPU-z as 8-8-7-24.
    When run up with XMP disabled it would start up as 11-11-11-28. When the timings were forced with either XMP on or off the timings in CPU-z would read 7-8-7-24. This is the only time it would show up as such.

In an effort to try and resolve I reverted to BIOS default settings (fail safe settings) and only changed the Memory settings as outlined below.
    16GB Default BIOS settings XMP Disabled - CPU-z = 11-11-11-28
    16GB Default BIOS settings XMP Enabled - Profile 1 (7-8-7-24) - CPU-z = 8-8-7-24
    16GB Default BIOS settings XMP Enabled - Profile 1 CAS forced to 7-8-7-24 Fails to boot to windows - crashes with Overlcock/overvoltage failure - defaults to standard BIOS and loads windows CPU-z = 11-11-11-28
    16GB If I set the BIOS to default without XMP then BIOS says standard is 11-11-11-28
    If I set BIOS to default with XMP enabled then BIOS says standard is 7-8-7-24 but always shows up as 8-8-7-24
    16Gb If I set the timings manually to 7-8-7-24 the BIOS shows this as set but crashes when trying to POST
    8GB Default BIOS settings XMP Disabled - BIOS shows 11-11-11-28 - CPU-z = 11-11-11-28
    8GB Default BIOS settings XMP Enabled –BIOS shows 7-8-7-24 CPU-z = 8-8-7-24
    8GB Default BIOS settings XMP Enabled – Set Timings manually - BIOS shows 7-8-7-24 – CPU-z = 7-8-7-24

I did do a memory test with Windows 7 memory checker which revealed no problems on any of the modules

So, the questions are;
    why is it when in XMP the modules load up as 8-8-7-24 instead of the intended 7-8-7-24?
    why can I not use manual settings to get 7-8-7-24 when using all four sticks?
    how can I set this motherboard/ram configuration up so that I can use manual settings to the specs as advertised, namely 7-8-7-24, while using my 16GB of RAM?
    If not, is this something a BIOS upgrade could fix or is an issue that needs to be resolved by buying paired sticks of RAM?

I know this is long winded but I feel it gives the best description of what is happening and allows for an informed answer straight off without the need for the ‘try this and try that’ configuration.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

regards

~LL~
    Last edited by ~LL~; 09-22-2011, 10:59 AM.

XMP generally defaults to 1 DIMM per channel, also each set is guaranteed by set, mixing sets can be problematic and the sets may not want to play together which is why they are also offered as a 16GB set and tested to all work together. Generally with two sets, if you set the base timings and CR manually you can get them to play together with slight raise in the DRAM and/or VCCIO voltage(s)....suggest trying +.05 to the DRAM first then if no joy same amount to the VCCIO

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK,l tried that with no luck.

It will not boot at all with 16GB and setting timings to 7-8-7-24 CR2, using various voltage changes. The only way I can get it to boot 16GB, and as close to the 7-8-7 timings, is to use XMP mode and then it shows up as 8-8-7-24 CR2.

Interestingly, even when I ran this system in 8GB mode, using a paired set, and setting it to XMP it would show as 7-8-7-24 in the BIOS but once loaded it would show up in CPU-z as 8-8-7-24.

So, I suppose for me I need to run memtest on each stick individually.....

what memtest version do you recommend?

Edited after further test.

Disabling XMP and manually setting the timings to 8-8-7-24 CR2 - it boots fine. Not a problem at all.

So how do we explain when using each kit on their own and using XMP the timings show up in the BIOS as 7-8-7-24 yet in CPU-Z 8-8-7-24. To get 7-8-7-24 I have to set the timings manually?

With 16GB (both kits) the only way I can get the computer to boot with manual settings is to set at 8-8-7-24.
      With 16GB and using XMP, the BIOS shows an XMP timing of 7-8-7-24 but once started CPU-z shows 8-8-7-24.

I would have presumed that as it is XMP profiled to 7-8-7-24 that if I set XMP in the BIOS using just one kit of 8GB then it would load up as 7-8-7-24 - but it is not.

G-Skills thoughts on this?
      Last edited by ~LL~; 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Use a benchmark program like AIDA64 or Everest to see what the timings are tested to be.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

In order to test the timings I have set up the system with just 1 kit so it is running at 8GB with XMP enabled and set to the only available profile, profile 1. When I view the timings of each channel via BIOS it shows standard timings as 7-8-7-24 with all manual settings set to AUTO

The system is started and checked via CPU-z revealing that the actual timings are 8-8-7-24

SiSoft Sandra is run up and two different memory benchmark modules are run:

SiSoftware Sandra

Benchmark Results
          Memory Latency : 62.4ns
          Speed Factor : 59.20
          Results Interpretation : Lower scores are better.

Cache Information
          Integrated Data Cache : 4clocks
          L2 Cache : 11clocks
          L3 Cache : 35clocks

Performance vs. Speed
          Memory Latency : 0.04ns/MHz

Performance vs. Power
          Chipset(s)/Memory Power : 29.200W
          Memory Latency : 2.14ns/W

Detailed Benchmark Results
          1kB Range : 1.1ns / 3.6clocks
          4kB Range : 1.1ns / 3.6clocks
          16kB Range : 1.1ns / 3.6clocks
          64kB Range : 3.3ns / 11.1clocks
          256kB Range : 3.7ns / 12.6clocks
          1MB Range : 9.3ns / 31.6clocks
          4MB Range : 11.1ns / 37.7clocks
          16MB Range : 59.1ns / 201.3clocks
          64MB Range : 62.4ns / 212.4clocks

Performance Test Status
          Result ID : Intel Core (Sandy Bridge) DRAM Controller; 2x 4GB DIMM DDR3 (1.6GHz) PC3-25600 (8-8-7-24 5-31-12-6)
          Computer : GigaByte Z68X-UD7-B3
          Platform Compliance : x64
          System Timer : 3.32MHz
          Memory Access : Random

Processor
          Model : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
          Speed : 3.8GHz
          Peak Processing Performance (PPP) : 60.85GFLOPS
          Adjusted Peak Performance (APP) : 18.25WG
          Cores per Processor : 4 Unit(s)
          Threads per Core : 2 Unit(s)
          Type : Quad-Core
          Integrated Data Cache : 4x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing
          L2 Cache : 4x 256kB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing
          L3 Cache : 8MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 16-way, Exclusive, 64 byte line size, 16 threads sharing

Memory Controller
          Integrated in Processor : Yes
          Speed : 3.8GHz

Chipset
          Model : Intel Core (Sandy Bridge) DRAM Controller
          Revision : A10
          Front Side Bus Speed : 100MHz
          Width : 20-bit / 20-bit
          Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 400MB/s

Logical/Chipset Memory Banks
          Bank 0 : 4GB DIMM DDR3 8-8-7-24 5-31-12-6 1T
          Bank 2 : 4GB DIMM DDR3 8-8-7-24 5-31-12-6 1T
          Channels : 2
          Memory Bus Speed : 2x 800MHz (1.6GHz)
          Multiplier : 8x
          Width : 64-bit
          Maximum Memory Bus Bandwidth : 25GB/s

Memory Module(s)
          Memory Module : 4GB DIMM PC25600U

The second test reveals the following:

SiSoftware Sandra

Benchmark Results
          Aggregate Memory Performance : 21GB/s
          Integer B/F iAVX/128 Memory Bandwidth : 21.16GB/s
          Float B/F iAVX/128 Memory Bandwidth : 20.9GB/s
          Results Interpretation : Higher scores are better.

Performance vs. Speed
          Aggregate Memory Performance : 13.46MB/s/MHz
          Integer B/F iAVX/128 Memory Bandwidth : 13.54MB/s/MHz
          Float B/F iAVX/128 Memory Bandwidth : 13.37MB/s/MHz

Performance vs. Power
          Chipset(s)/Memory Power : 29.200W
          Aggregate Memory Performance : 737.40MB/s/W
          Integer B/F iAVX/128 Memory Bandwidth : 741.95MB/s/W
          Float B/F iAVX/128 Memory Bandwidth : 732.84MB/s/W

Capacity vs. Power
          Memory Capacity : 281MB/W

Integer B/F iAVX/128 Memory Bandwidth
          Assignment : 21.14GB/s
          Scaling : 21GB/s
          Addition : 21.2GB/s
          Triad : 21.19GB/s
          Data Item Size : 16bytes
          Buffering Used : Yes
          Offset Displacement : Yes
          Bandwidth Efficiency : 79.75%

Float B/F iAVX/128 Memory Bandwidth
          Assignment : 20.86GB/s
          Scaling : 20.87GB/s
          Addition : 21GB/s
          Triad : 20.87GB/s
          Data Item Size : 16bytes
          Buffering Used : Yes
          Offset Displacement : Yes
          Bandwidth Efficiency : 77.83%

Performance Test Status
          Result ID : Intel Core (Sandy Bridge) DRAM Controller; 2x 4GB DIMM DDR3 (1.6GHz) PC3-25600 (8-8-7-24 5-31-12-6)
          Computer : GigaByte Z68X-UD7-B3
          Platform Compliance : x64
          Total Memory : 8GB
          Memory Used by Test : 4GB
          NUMA Support : No
          SMP (Multi-Processor) Benchmark : No
          Total Test Threads : 4
          Multi-Core Test : Yes
          SMT (Multi-Threaded) Benchmark : Yes
          Processor Affinity : P0C0T0 P0C1T0 P0C2T0 P0C3T0
          System Timer : 3.32MHz
          Page Size : 4kB

Features
          SSE Technology : Yes
          SSE2 Technology : Yes
          SSE3 Technology : Yes
          Supplemental SSE3 Technology : Yes
          SSE4.1 Technology : Yes
          SSE4.2 Technology : Yes
          AVX - Advanced Vector eXtensions : Yes
          HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : Yes

Chipset
          Model : Intel Core (Sandy Bridge) DRAM Controller
          Revision : A10
          Front Side Bus Speed : 100MHz
          Width : 20-bit / 20-bit
          Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 400MB/s

Logical/Chipset Memory Banks
          Bank 0 : 4GB DIMM DDR3 8-8-7-24 5-31-12-6 1T
          Bank 2 : 4GB DIMM DDR3 8-8-7-24 5-31-12-6 1T
          Channels : 2
          Memory Bus Speed : 2x 800MHz (1.6GHz)
          Multiplier : 8x
          Width : 64-bit
          Maximum Memory Bus Bandwidth : 25GB/s

Memory Module(s)

Last edited by ~LL~; 09-22-2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

That may be a quiestion for the motherboard manufacturer then, it should operate what is set in BIOS.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

gskill

Thanks

I'll try the Gigabyte tech's and see if they can answer it for me.

I'm a little confused however, because both Gigabyte and GSkill say this RAM will work in this board at the timings as set in XMP but they won't, whereas my previous RAM did.

I, as the consumer, then has the problem of trying to decipher who is at fault if my RAM isn't working as it is meant to, G-Skill or Gigabyte. Given my previous RAM worked just fine and with the correct timings as specified in both XMP and manual mode makes it very difficult to think it would be the motherboard.

Comment

Well, if you manually set the timings in BIOS, it doesn't matter what XMP or what the memory is. If it is capable, it should operate what you input. If it is not, it should not boot.

Disable XMP, and just use manual settings to see if that makes a difference. You can also use programs to check XMP and SPD information.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post

........ You can also use programs to check XMP and SPD information.
                  I thought I did that with AIDA and SiSoft as listed above.

With 8GB I can set the timings of 7-8-7 manually and it will load fine.

With 16Gb I cannot set the timings as 7-8-7 because it will not post at all, no matter what changes I make to the voltages. The tightest I can get the timings to boot with 16GB is 8-8-7.

This is where my problem/confusion lies. Because with XMP enabled I can boot both 8GB and 16GB no problem but the timings are looser than specified - 8-8-7-24 and that is the tightest I can get the timings with manual settings for 16Gb, but 7-8-7-24 for 8Gb with manual timings.

And of course I sit here thinking that if I was to move to a 16GB kit am I going to get the same scenario, because currently none of these 4 sticks of RAM is working as specified in XMP mode - either as 2 8 GB kits or in 16GB format, which it should.
                  Last edited by ~LL~; 09-23-2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Oh yea, so it does seem like the SPD/XMP on the modules are just fine.

Send them in for RMA and use the RipJaws X series kits. They are designed specifically for your motherboard.

F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH

Or get a 16GB kit like this:

F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

This kit is a steal for the price, only $30 more, unbelievable.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the info.

As I see it, you guys are the experts so advise me please given I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD7-B3 motherboard with an i7-2600k CPU, 1200W PSU

As I want to have 16GB of RAM for my applications(I use a lot of Photoshop and Premiere, both at the same time, and they all love RAM), BF3 upcoming and also for overclocking (CPU/Video rather than RAM) what would you recommend......I am open to suggestions and recommendations. Maybe F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL is the best option? Would two kits of F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH work, or would I have the same issues as now?

When benching/OC'ing I don't want my RAM to be a bottleneck.

Now, given this RAM I have is brand new and error free it seems, how can I RMA it and get in its replacement the RAM I choose based on your recommendations?

It's such a shame it won't work properly with my motherboard!

Thanks very much for your help so far.

regards

~LL~
                      Last edited by ~LL~; 09-23-2011, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Any time you mix two or more sets of DRAM there's the possibility that the sets won't play together (which is why most manufacturers offer sets in 2,3,4,6,8,12,16,24 GB sets), best bet especially going 16-24 is always to get a single set where the sticks are tested to work together, when mixed you could get sticks from different production runs/lots or even those that have different PCBs, ICc, etc.

If you're within your product refund/exchane window you could go through your e/re-tailer, otherwise you could probably RMA or buy up through Gkill, I'll drop them a line to check this thread when they get back Monday.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                          Any time you mix two or more sets of DRAM there's the possibility that the sets won't play together (which is why most manufacturers offer sets in 2,3,4,6,8,12,16,24 GB sets), best bet especially going 16-24 is always to get a single set where the sticks are tested to work together, when mixed you could get sticks from different production runs/lots or even those that have different PCBs, ICc, etc.

If you're within your product refund/exchane window you could go through your e/re-tailer, otherwise you could probably RMA or buy up through Gkill, I'll drop them a line to check this thread when they get back Monday.
                          Thanks Tradesman, as the RAM was imported it is easier for me to RMA it back through G-Skill.

I'm not 100% sure what's wrong with it as even when I run it as 8GB kits it still wo't profile up correctly in XMP mode. The only way it will is with manual settings.

Anyway - if G-Skill can help me out then all good. The RAM modules only arrived 3 days ago and all 4 test ok individually via Memtest in all four slots.

I'll look forward to a response - have a good weekend!

Comment

What voltages do you have on the vCore, QPI/VTT, and DRAM? Also what BIOS are you running? F9C? if not can get it here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=3847#bios

GB has been working on the BIOSs of all their Z68 mobos to tie up DRAM inconsistencies

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                              What voltages do you have on the vCore, QPI/VTT, and DRAM? Also what BIOS are you running? F9C? if not can get it here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=3847#bios

GB has been working on the BIOSs of all their Z68 mobos to tie up DRAM inconsistencies

Running F9C BIOS and have tried F4 and F8.

Voltages - I have tried everything on AUTO and different variables of the below
                              Then 3.8GHz and 4.0GHz VCore 1.20 through to 1.30V
                              QPI/VTT 1.14 to 1.18
                              DRAM 1.60 1.62 1.64 and 1.66
                              CPU PLL @ 1.56 (my sweetspot) right through to 1.80

I have had this machine up to 5.2GHz @ 1.55V, QPI 1.22 and DRAM @ 1.60V on my old RAM (Corsair). I have also been able to benchmark 3D Mark 11 with the 16GB of this G-Skill RAM at this 5.2GHz but only at 8-8-7 timings.

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1870001

If you've got any other suggestions I'd be more than happy to give them a go. (I've also submitted a ticket to Gigabyte to see is they can alter the BIOS to get them to work.) I'm only trying to get the 8GB working properly at present. No point in trying 16GB.

The RAM itself was manufactured in September11 so very fresh and all modules are sequential in number.
                              Last edited by ~LL~; 09-23-2011, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X