firmware upgrade instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firmware upgrade instructions

can someone post some easier to understand instructions for updating the firmware of these SSD's...the one in the sticky makes no sense to me...first it says to power off your computer and put the jumper over the pins...but then in the next step it says to click the start.exe file and then plug in the SSD drive...how can I click the start.exe file if the SSD drive is not plugged in!!...do they mean use another drive to download the firmware?...and then unplug the new drive and then plug in the SSD after clicking start.exe??

and what does it mean when they say that the firmware upgrade procedure will not work for the OS boot drive?...does that mean that if I have my OS installed on the SSD this procedure will not work?

I'm totally confused or totally dumb...can someone please post an easier to understand set of instructions...at least the beginning few steps...thank you
    Last edited by Titus; 06-19-2009, 11:26 PM.

Basically, you cant flash the firmware of an SSD that you're currently using to run Windows on and boot up with, obviously ...

What you need to do is slave the drive so another PC, and flash the firmware from there, or if you dont have another PC to use, then stick the firmware on a bootable CD such as Hirens/UBCD4WIN/BartsPE and run the flash from there as it'll be using the CD environment to boot and not the disk itself

Comment

Before you flash the firmware.
      1:Backup your ssd drive first use ghost or other image software. Save the image file in your external drive like USB key.
      2:Prepare a bootable DVD like WinPE (i use winpe) and put the flash tool to a usb key too

Now you are ready to flash your SSD
      1:boot from the DVD you prepared with the SSD unplugged.
      2:Run the flash application from the usb key and just follow the dialog.
      3:After finished, use the WinPE to copy the image back to your SSD.

Comment

So what if I just bought this and I am not sure what firmware it comes with. Do i have to install an os on it to find out? or just plug it into my pc?

I am putting this in my macbook pro but I have a pc i can check on

Comment

Thanks...so basically what I need to do is:

1) with my SSD plugged in, shut down Windows Vista and power off my computer

2) unplug my SSD from my computer and use a jumper to cover up pins A-B on the SSD

3) put another hard drive in my computer (any SATA drive), plug in all the cables and power on my system with the replacement drive

4) in the firmware update folder click on the start.exe file

5) wait until I see the message about "plug in units and press OK"

6) after seeing this message I now plug back in my SSD drive and hit "OK" to continue the firmware update procedure

is this correct?...thanks for the help

and after buying a new SSD how do I know what firmware is currently installed on it?
          Last edited by Titus; 06-22-2009, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsimon9633 View Post
            So what if I just bought this and I am not sure what firmware it comes with. Do i have to install an os on it to find out? or just plug it into my pc?

I am putting this in my macbook pro but I have a pc i can check on
            well if you didn't see any issue , you can just ignore the upgrade.
            here is how to check the firmware version of your SSD
            about this mac->more info->serial ATA->revision

Comment

Originally posted by zsnow View Post
              Before you flash the firmware.
              1:Backup your ssd drive first use ghost or other image software. Save the image file in your external drive like USB key.
              2:Prepare a bootable DVD like WinPE (i use winpe) and put the flash tool to a usb key too

Now you are ready to flash your SSD
              1:boot from the DVD you prepared with the SSD unplugged.
              2:Run the flash application from the usb key and just follow the dialog.
              3:After finished, use the WinPE to copy the image back to your SSD.
              Just a footnote, you don't have to have your drive unplugged. I flashed mine using a windows vista recovery cd, and just had the drive with the jumper set attached from boot. Just click ok when prompted to plugin the drive.

Comment

Where do I get the bootable dvd of WinPE?

Comment

besides 1571, anyone know if there are any new firmware releases in the near future?

Comment

Working...
                  X