Sniper vs Ripjaws X for my build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper vs Ripjaws X for my build

Hello Everyone, I ordered all my parts for my new build (I'll post specs in bottom) except the memory (and a fan controller)

I'm having a tough time trying to decide which ram to go with right now... I'd like to order it today so that it'll come at the same time as my other stuff

I can't decide if I want one of these RAMs. I'm pretty much set on G Skill as my old build had DDR2s, and they worked very well for me. it was a great setup

Here are the Ripjaws X I'm looking at (diff CL and speeds)
    Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - $69.99
    Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 - $69.99

And the Sniper series
    Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - $54.99
    Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - $64.99
    Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 - $64.99

From my research, the low voltage Snipers don't tend to overclock very well, and then I don't see any diff between the same voltage ripjaws X and snipers...

I would like to hit 2133 if possible.

The main purpose of this rig is gaming, not benching, and it looks like when it comes to gaming there is very MINIMAL diff when getting better CL or higher speeds past 1600, but I wanted to ask the makers of the sticks
    I don't want to go over the 70 dollar limit with shipping, so these are all under that. Also, I don't really care too much about the looks as my case doesn't have clear side pane, and even if it did it's againt the wall. I don't really show off my rig or anything... lol so looks aren't too important either.

Here are specs -

i5 2500k
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    gtx 560ti
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Nova 2 SSD
    WD Black Caviar 1TB HDD
    Last edited by razorseal; 08-19-2011, 09:15 AM.

I have the RipjawsX 1866 set, great memory, been very happy with them for months now.

A little secret: bump the voltage to 1.65v and change the tRCD from 10 to 11 and you now have the 2133 set.

Need I say more on which to choose?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
    Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
    SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Corsair HX850W Modular
    Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
    2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Thx for the input. I think both are great, can't go wrong with either. but then why would they make 2 identical products? I don't get it...

Comment

Believe ICs used are different and the programming in the SPDs are a little different

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

To the better, or a budgeted mind?

If corsair don't write back, I might just call and ask. i need to order my ram

Comment

I've used both sets and would say both are about the same, they both OC well and can generally run tighter timings at stock speed...also keep in mind that the end pricing is done by the e-/re-tailer, so prices often change depending on stock on hand/demand and availability. You might also see differences between the sets based on the timings (CL8 or CL9) and to a degree even pricing is affected by re/e-tailers due to the color of the heatsinks i.e. they may run a special on a primarily black based mobo with touches of red so may drop prices on Snipers or (red) Ripjaws/(X) to promote multiple purchases

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So pretty much I should get the most inexpensive one... Lol

Comment

Basically it's your call....I like both, but lean a little to towards the Snipers as I've found them extremely versatile (and have them in my primary box 16GB, 1866 sticks), NemesisChild above, loves his RipjawsX sticks (which I've used a number of also), you can't really go wrong either way - the RipjawsX were designed with the P67/Z68/H67 chipsets in mind if that helps any

Tman

Comment

I am using a p67 chipset...

I might see a diff in benchmarking (which I don't do) and in gaming, I'd say the perf increase is not hurricane at just r or 2 fps

Comment

On my P67 between the RipjawsX and the Snipers (1866 models you list) stock performance is basically the same, the Snipers have allowed me a little more leeway in their performance parameters. Believe Gskill themselves would lean towards the RipjawsX, since as mentioned above they set this line up based around the P67 chipset.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X