Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The common problem with 2x2 kits, I think

Hello everyone !

First of all - I`m from Russia, and my English is not so good, as I wish, so don`t be cruel to a grammar of my post

Several weeks ago I bought ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Professional MoBo and 2 kits of Ripjaws X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH memory (8Gb Total)
    The choice of these DIMMs was based on low timings as a default, and an opportunity to overcloking. And they are compatible with each other, right?

BUT ...
    1. No OC at all - Intel i5 2500K@3,3MHz. All 4 DIMMs were installed. Timings 9-9-9-28-2N@12800 @1,5V. System (Win7 x64) is loading and working without any problem.
    2. OC CPU 4400MHz@1,28V. Memory - the same. No problem with loading OS and tests.
    3. CPU 4400. Trying to enable XMP@1,5V (to get timings 6-8-6-24@12800, as on the label). System is rebooting or hanging even in POST.
    4. Trying to raise voltage (up to 1,62V on several steps). No success.
    5. Trying to raise timings. The stable system is only at 8-9-8-24-1N@12800.
    6. Trying to find "defective" DIMM. Installing 2 pcs in different pairs (6 variants total). LOOK !!!! Every pair with enabled XMP Profile working fine !!!
    7. OK ! Russains are not surrending )))) Try to re-install all 4 DIMMs.
    result - as 3,4 and 5 above ((((
    Final, I let timings as in 5, and trying to sell this DIMMs for changing to 2x4Gb kit ((((
    I`m little angry for paying 200$ (in Russia) and not pleased for them

Looking in Internet, find about 100 questions about the same problem on ALL major brand of MB (ASUS, ASRock, MSI, Gigabyte) and no way to solve it

Am I right, that to get the labeled timings for G.Skill memory is avaliable ONLY with 2 DIMMs not 4 ????? If its true, why there is no warnings about ?????

And do you have the way, beside changing DIMMs for bigger size, or some kind of patch to solve it?
    Last edited by mikele00; 07-22-2011, 12:52 AM.

We do list on our website that it is one DIMM per channel. Each kit is guaranteed to run in the same system. In this case, the only way to solve it is to try two new kits or exchange for a guaranteed matched kit.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      We do list on our website that it is one DIMM per channel. Each kit is guaranteed to run in the same system. In this case, the only way to solve it is to try two new kits or exchange for a guaranteed matched kit.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      Thank you for reply, but I`m not sure that I understand it at all.
      Do you mean that I must try to change both of my kits to new ones, and try again ??????
      And what will be the difference ?!!!

Me and about 10-15 other men on this forum trying to open your eyes on this problem. Problem is not in mismatching kits, but to make them working together with XMP.
      It is really a COMMON problem, happened in different kinds of YOUR memory on different motherboards. And also when they are "compatible".
      Every kit (2 DIMMs) is working nice with XMP, but 2 kits - 2x2 DIMMs (at XMP) ALWAYS not.
      Just try to get some statistics in this forum.

And one more - I tried to change my kits at retailer service, pointing that this 2 kits can`t work together at labeled timings. Reply: If any one kit gets XMP properly, it`s no problem with them. All other problems - contact manufacturer.
      So I find that there is no way to 1) make memory work properly, 2) change memory under warranty and 3) get any help from you

If my words are rough for you, I`m very sorry

Comment

It's the same with all brands of DRAM, if you mix sets...they may or may not work together, generally you can try adjusting voltages (DRAM, MC, CPU) and get them to work together if problems, also sometimes changes in the timings can help. Problems normally occur with mixing sets from different production lots/runs where there may be ICs, PCBs, etc used that also came from different production runs.

For the above reasons, most DRAM manufacturers (and GSkill in particular) offer wide ranges of different sets in different number of sticks and different total GB of DRAM, they have numerous options from 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24 GBs., and the sticks in the sets are tested to ensure they work together and thus guaranteed.

Actually this happens more often than is reflected here in the forums, people build a system or buy one off the shelf then want to upgrade, (I see it at least every other week with various clients)..and it happens with all the brands (major and minor).

I always try and see what a client does with a system and then try to figure what they may be doing a year or so from now and even then, I normally suggest more DRAM than I what I think they will want/need.

Can't really blame the manufacturers if your mixing sets.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK. thank you !

Now I see that was a some kind of mistake to buy 2x2 DIMMs.
          Will try to sell them, and find a new kit of bigger size )))

Comment

Let us know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X