Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OC question for F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH on GA-880GA-UD3H latest ver & PII X4 970BE C3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC question for F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH on GA-880GA-UD3H latest ver & PII X4 970BE C3

Is it doable to reach 4.2 ghz with this set-up by increasing the FSB from 200 to 240?

My limited knowledge tells me that this will make the RAM run @ 1600MHZ and would like to know what settings i need to do in BIOS and hopefully maintain a 7 latency speed, if this should work?

If the above is not possible, what separate OC settings do i need both on the CPU and RAM to achieve both goals (i.e. 4.2ghz on the CPU and 1600mhz on RAM).

I know that i should only ask RAM related questions in here but hey, i am so satisfied with the customer service here at gskill forums that i was hoping to get my answers here, so please bear with me...

Thanks in advance for your expert replies to a relatively noob OC'er.

Note: i have already installed aftermarket CM hyper 212+ in push/pull config and my temps now are 23 idle and never goes above 40 in prime 95 torture testing...

Should be no problem, give it a go and let us know what happens.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

can you please provide specific settings

Thanks for the reply, but other than changing the FSB to 240, can you please specify the different settings i need to do and change in both the CPU (e.g voltages, frequencies, etc) and RAM (e.g. voltages, timings, etc) to make this work?

I am of the understanding that each hardware combination may perform differently even if they are of the exact specs but what i'm asking for is sort of baseline numbers/data which i can work on in changing the different settings for voltages, frequencies, timings, etc... in both the cpu and ram.

Thanks again

Comment

Those are things you need to test and experiement with. There is no template that you can simply plug in settings and they will just work. First, you stabilize the memory, input all the settings stated on the memory. With CPU OC, you just need to raise the CPU Ratio, and find what voltage it wants. Work up in increments, that way you know exactly what voltage is best.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

I understand that there is no template that will work 100% of the time for a particular hardware set-up. All i'm asking is where i need to start like what you guys have been advising people here on the the differenct threads.

For example, there are threads here where you suggest the timing (e.g. 8-8-8-24-2N) for a particular ram in a particular scenario and that the voltage of a particular item (e.g cpu-nb) should be raised (e.g. 0.100) in a particular situation.

There are also examples where you make suggestions on how to change settings on the cpu other than the fsb. I was really hoping that there's an existing thread that matches my exact same set-up with suggested settings and timings for CPU and RAM already been given out, so i won't need to burden anyone, but i didnt find any.

I'm no expert in these though i've read a lot in the different forums but always choose to go back here, because so far, as i've had very good and real working solutions coming from experts in these boards.

I'm currently running everything @ stock and everything in bios is set to auto except that i was previously advised on these forum to manually put in the specific timing for ram and that's it.

current setting:
          8gb RAM @ 1333 with 7-7-7-21-2N timing
          all other settings for CPU and RAM in auto.

target setting (if possible):
          8gb RAM @1600
          CPU @ 4.2 +/-
          all other settings = unknown

I was hoping that I may get guidance with details here on where to start with (e.g. details of which items to change) and the corresponding base line numbers to change them to...

But if the guidance i'm looking for is too much to ask for, thanks in advance for taking time to read through my request.
          Last edited by slamtaz; 02-23-2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Well, get inputting on the settings. You haven't tried anything so we're not getting anywhere.

Use the AMD guide, input settings as follows:

DDR3-1600
            8-8-8-24
            1.65V

If that is stable, raise CPU Ratio, then raise CPU Voltage with it and you're done.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

thank you for your reply.

you're right that i haven't tried anything because like i said i am relatively a noob to OC and wouldn't dare to start somewhere simply based on theory. I came here for professional assistance on where to start and i've always seen here and in other websites that gskill encourages users/customers to go here if assistance is needed.

if i may be specific with my request, i mentioned in my first post above that i was thinking of raising the fsb to 240 to effectively make the cpu @ 4.2 and the ram 1600 and at the same time ask what will be the timings if i wish to retain a latency of 7, and though i didnt get a reply on the timing i presume that when you replied that it should work, you were referring to setting the fsb at 240. in your last reply, you're telling me to set the ram at 1600 and the timing at 8-8-8-24.

while i'm willing to try this last reply, i'm confused as to why it seems to me i'm getting mixed directions, coz i now am not sure if i should still manually set the dram to 1600 as mentioned in your last reply or will it automatically change to 1600 if i set the fsb at 240?

so, please bear with me as i would like to reiterate that if you mean that my initial thoughts on setting the fsb at 240, should work with my hardware, is it possible to get the corresponding settings for the voltages and timings (i.e. hopefully possible at latency of 7) to get started.

i understand that there are tons of requests being handled in this forum and i'm sorry if i come across as being a pain but the truth is, i need and i believe that i can get genuine help here, as i always had in the past.

Comment

The point is you want to use the x6.66 memory multiplier. With FSB set to 200, it will show as DDR3-1333. But once you set FSB to 240, it will jump to DDR3-1600. It depends which you adjust first. If you adjust DRAM Frequency first, you don't want to set it to DDR3-1600 since that is a different multiplier, you want to use DDR3-1333. If you set FSB to 240 first, then you just need to select DDR3-1600, since it will already be overclocked with the updated/adjusted frequency.

The main thing is to make sure the end result is correct. What it shows in BIOS is what it will attempt, so to be safe, just look at all the target frequencies and settings to make sure they are at what you want them to be set at.

Other than this, there is no reason to hesitate. This after market hardware can take what you throw at it. If settings are bad, it just won't work. You would have to set ridiculously high voltages and such to TRY frying the CPU or motherboard. These parts have their safety protection to avoid such destruction, so it's not easy to damage them.

Just follow/attempt our steps and you will see the results.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

You have a Black Edition CPU which has an unlocked CPU multiplier, very easy to overclock.
                  4.2GHz is an aggressive overclock for a Denab chip, certainly possible, but not guaranteed.
                  I would suggest these settings:

CPU Clock (FSB): 240
                  Set CPU multiplier to target 4.2GHz CPU frequency (1.50v CPU voltage)
                  Set NB multiplier to target 2600MHz CPU/NB frequency (1.275v CPU/NB voltage)
                  Set HT Link Speed to target 2000-2200MHz frequency (1.25v HT Link voltage)

Run HyperPi 32M test on all 4 cores to test overclock stability.

If it does not pass, you will have to increase the CPU voltage, but watch your CPU temp.

Follow this procedure until you get a stable CPU overclock.
                  AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
                  Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
                  ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                  2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
                  SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
                  Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
                  Corsair HX850W Modular
                  Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
                  2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Working...
                  X