having problems with 4 dimms on Asus p8p67 Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having problems with 4 dimms on Asus p8p67 Pro

I have this memory which was working flawlessly on my I7-920.

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

I moved over 4gb to my new Asus board and it runs without issue, stock clocks and overclocked.

However, when I add another 2 DIMMs for a total of 8gb it is immediately unstable. I have tried both XMP, Manual, Clearing CMOS, dropping speed down to 1333 and giving it more volts.

Anyone have any luck getting 8gb to run on this board?

I have the 1053 (latest) BIOS.

Thanks

Did you purchase a new 4GB kit?

The new memory may be incompatible with the older memory. Test one module at a time to see if one is defective causing the problem. Also, what is your new motherboard?

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

No. I did not purchase any new memory. I have (6) 2gb sticks that are currently working fine in my I7 X58 board.

When I move *any* two over, they work fine. The problem comes when I populate all 4 DIMM slots in the new board.

I have rotated the memory sticks around and *any* two work fine in first channel.

However, no combination works when all 4 slots are populated.

Comment

Still don't know what hardware you have... maybe the memory controller is overloaded?

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Sounds like you have 2 sets of F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ, so what GSkill is saying is that at least 1 (or more) of the four sticks you are trying to use is from a different set. Each of the 3 stick sets are tested to work together, but may well not want to 'play' with an identical kit, especially w/ the newer SB boards (many of which are still experiencing BIOS problems). Might want to try an identify the three sticks from 1 particular set, then try the other 3 sticks one at a time to see if one is more compatible than the others.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

interesting point. indeed the memory is from (2) different sets. same part numbers, and again it all plays well together on my i7-920 in 12gb no less.

i think i am paying the early adopter tax. not a big deal. i ordered the SB certified 8gb kit off newegg and will sell off one of my 6 gb kits.

i was just hoping for some magic 'raise the xyz voltage' cure for it.

BTW: to the mod, my new system is the following:

Asus P8p67 Pro
            Intel 2600k
            Gskill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
            ATI 6970 (also tried it with a Geforce card)

I have tried everything at stock. Interestingly enough, even 2 sticks would not work until I used the XMP profile. I tried it in another Asus p8p67 Pro board with the same things. It was really confusing. I thought I had a faulty CPU and even exchanged that.

Ahh.. the fun of revision 1.0

Comment

It may only need minor voltage or timings settings, but at times you just get sticks that won't work together, in your case the sticks were set up for a trichannel setup, they will prob work, but as said may need tinkering

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

update

So, based on a suggestion from tech support, I tried the following:

First thing I did was to organize the dimm kits by serial number.

I put 2 dimms in and as before things worked fine.
                I then put the 3rd dimm from the first kit in an open slot. It worked although the memory ran slower because it was no longer in dual channel mode.

I then tried a 4th dimm (from my second kit) in the other open slot. It did not work. I swapped that dimm for another dimm from second kit.

As of right now, it passes MemTest4.2beta and a LinX run which is a helluva lot better than before.

I will keep testing, but showing promise. Wow, these things are finicky.

Comment

sorry for all the spam, but still having troubles

after more extensive testing and day to day use, i don't think even 2 sticks from the same tri-channel batch are compatible with this board.

unless i use the XMP profile, I cannot even get all the way into the operating system. It usually crashes.

when i use the XMP profile, i can get in and memtest passes. In addition Linx passes, but at some point of day to day use, the system will lock.

I guess it is possible that it is something other than the memory but i saw the same behavior with a different board and a different cpu.

friday i will have 2 new sticks of GSkill P67 certified RAM and will conduct more tests.

Comment

Will the Ram work at 1333 without issue?

That is my problem..1600 no do...1333 works fine.

Still trying to figure it out...GSkill is telling me to RMA my RAM but so many are having issues with 1600 not working at spec, but working fine at 1333 that I do not think the specific sticks I have are not working.

Comment

no. actually the default stock settings of the board are 1333. Windows 7 install will not even make it to the file copy part on that.

This is how I originally got it to work.... by using XMP to have the board configure the settings. The XMP profile calls for 1600 9-9-9-24-2T @ 1.5v which is what appears to be set, but no dice.

Frustrating for sure.

Comment

Let us know what happens Fri

Tman

Comment

I know where you're coming from since my tri-channel kit wouldn't work anywhere near the rated specs even with two sticks. I had to get SB certified memory. these CPU's and motherboards are really finnicky, I would stick to certified RAM. also, 4 sticks is much harder to run than two sticks. I recommend the 2x4GB kits
                          CPU: i7 4790K
                          Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero (z97)
                          RAM: G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)

Comment

agreed absolutely. there are now 3 of us floating around with issues trying to come from a tri-channel kit to sandy bridge.

i should have just bought the 2x4gb certified ram. oh well. it should be here friday or monday.

thanks for posting. at least i feel like i am not alone

Comment

so my F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL kit arrived today. So far, it seems stable.

more as i continue to test.

Comment

Working...
                              X