No announcement yet.

F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM / Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 / AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM / Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 / AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz

I have been having issues with memory stability over the past few weeks. Initially, when I had built my computer, the ram was placed in single channel mode and the computer ran fine for a couple of months before crashing, randomly rebooting, hanging, bsoding.... with some technical support from a helpful forum they informed me the cause of my crashes were due to things such as old drivers, and memory corruption. i ran memtest for 27 passes and got no errors. i then proceeded to test them individually and both passed. at this point i then moved them into dual channel.

after placing them in dual channel i got sporadic memory management bsods. i was told there was a driver corrupting the memory so i was encouraged to run memtest again. instead, i resorted to reinstalling windows 7 and pulling one of the sticks. the computer remained stable using only one stick. at this point all the slots had been tested and both sticks had been tested and all seemed to work out okay. i then decided to occupy the last 2 slots on my mobo, and again my system became unstable. i then just decided to completey wipe my harddrive using dban and start completely new. the system remained stable for a couple of weeks, then more memory management bsods came up.

i've run memtest with both sticks occupying the last two slots and the first two slots on the mobo and both tests had shown errors for the first time. individual testing of each stick produces no errors. i put both sticks in slot one and two, got errors, decided to try swapping their positions, and now memtest is running without errors. what could be causing this?

i am not an overclocker, all the timings and voltages are set to what the kit has told me to set it to. i want to understand why my system is unstable using the ram in dual channel. is the ram to blame or is it something else?

Do you have the latest BIOS? and can you post your BIOS settings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

honestly i am unsure if i do or not, i will have to check. right now i have memtest running with slots 1 and 2 occupied. earlier i was running it with slots 1 and 3 occupied. when i went to change the arrangement back to dual channel i found that the stick in slot 1 was not fully seated, however no errors were showing because of it.

i plan to let memtest run until sometime tomorrow or until more errors pop up. at that time i will post back with my bios settings

Comment

okay, even with BIOS up to date, and despite having adjusted my timings, i am still experiencing instability and memory corruption BSODs. I think i'm going to RMA my kit.

Comment

What were the results of memtest? Any errors with one module installed?

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

no, but there was with both. twice. after that i tested each module individually, then tested one in each slot, using different voltages without issues. however the problems are intermittent and hard to pin point. i am just tired of the problems and would like to get a different set. if problems persist even after a new set is installed, will look in to getting a new motherboard. i just want to start the process of elimination and i think RAM (as it has produced errors in memtest twice already) is the best/easiest place to start.

Comment

If no errors on a stick individually, but errors running two sticks, could indicate a problem with either the CPU/MC or the channels in the mobo, or the BIOS settings are off causing the errors w/ two or more sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

yes i understand this, but the RAM would be the cheapest thing to replace FIRST. should the problems persist even after getting a new set of RAM, then i will replace the motherboard second. the CPU will be the last thing i'll attempt to replace since it's the most expensive part.

Comment

No problem, we can surely swap out the memory.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                  X