No announcement yet.

Fm-25s2s-60gbp2 disappearing from bios.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fm-25s2s-60gbp2 disappearing from bios.

So I got the ssd from newegg. I updated the firmware to the newest version 3.1 but in my dell laptop sometimes the drive doesn't show up in the bios when starting up or even upon restarting it will give a no boot disk error, doesn't happen all the time but ocasionally. This is on a fresh windows 7 32bit install. There is no ahci option in bios so I would guess it's using ide.

did the drive you're replacing ever display the no detect symptoms? if not, the ssd might be too aligned, I've seen connector solutions be extremely machined, if at exact angle, can slide really easy, maybe screw loose? :P

Comment

The original drive works fine. And the ssd connector fits just fine. Whats wierd is it will boot up fine and if I click restart it it will say there is no boot drive upon restarting. I don't get why it would boot and then choose to not show up when the pc was only restarted and not powered off. Powering off and back on will fix it until it does it again.

Comment

+1.

This is almost exact same situation as me, except I have a FM-25S2I-64GBFII. Has been working fine since July when I got it but has recently started crashing (BSOD) and when I reboot (using reset switch) the CMOS says that no drive exists (although my other Seagate drive is there). I havent upgraded any firmware yet though. Windows 7 64 Bit. Asus M4A87TD Mobo.

I'm glad I found this post and hope to see a resolution come your (our) way.

Steve.

Comment

I have same problem and bought the drive only one day after installed Win7 x64. Firmware is 2.1 and I didn't update. Now the problem even worst cuz my BIOS cannot find the drive anymore. I also try to test several different desktops and laptops, changing new SATA cables, power connectors, eSATA and USB external, all cannot find the drive anymore. If there is no solution, I'm going to ship back to vendor to replace another one.
          It's very disappoint experience with this new G.Skill, never happened my other old Intel and OCZ drives.

Comment

Originally posted by munkle View Post
            The original drive works fine. And the ssd connector fits just fine. Whats wierd is it will boot up fine and if I click restart it it will say there is no boot drive upon restarting. I don't get why it would boot and then choose to not show up when the pc was only restarted and not powered off. Powering off and back on will fix it until it does it again.
            I hope GSkill has an answer, I'm at a loss, only things i can thnk of that "might" have an impact are- make sure cmos settings "plug and play OS = yes" and maybe increase hdd timeout from 0s to 5 or 10seconds. Neither "should" matter. Sounding more and more like faulty component inside drive, real bad virus, hardware conflict, or power supply issue to me

Comment

I am experiencing similar. On restart, Windows 7 presents me with "startup repair". I can choose to repair (recommended) or start Windows normally. It's a gamble. If I choose startup repair, it seems to be doing something, little window says repairing but never completes, goes forever. Or I can choose to start Windows normally which works about one of three times. When it does boot, everything goes fine.

Win7 64
              AMD phenom2 x4 940 3ghz
              msi 790fx w/latest bios
              4bg performance ram

Comment

Same thing has been happening to me. Bought from the recent newegg deal, and already upgraded to FW3.1. Drive disappeared while I was in the middle of browsing the net and Windows froze up. Took several reboots and it magically reappeared. This is the second time it has done this in the past 24 hours that this drive has been installed. I'm starting to wonder if it was a bad idea for me to purchase 5 of these drives now.

Comment

I bought 2 drives only 2 days, now both disappear on BIOS after windows froze. Testing them on several PC and laptop, all cannot find the drives. Going to send back tho Newegg to get replacement. However, I wonder replacement may have same problem again if it's firmware problem or drive component quality issue.

Comment

I also got mine from newegg about a month ago. Phoenix Series FM-25S2S-120GBP1

The puzzling thing is that I did not experience the problem until after a couple of weeks of use. I did not update the firmware. I did not make any other changes to hardware.

I just benchmarked the drive (the second time ever) and it performs as well as the day I got it. To sum up, the drive works fine once the machine boots. The problem occurs on reboot. It takes numerous tries because of boot hang. I don't know if it is BIOS, motherboard, OS, the drive itself, or some strange combination. Like I said, no problems at first and then it started happening occasionally and then more and more. Now I just try not to have to reboot but I can't go forever like that.

Are you guys running AMD or Intel? AMD here. Just trying to find some common factors here. Thanks
                    Last edited by nikldan; 11-07-2010, 10:27 AM. Reason: mispell

Comment

Have you guys tried resetting BIOS? I am talking about pulling the battery and pushing the reset button on the motherboard as opposed to setting defaults in BIOS. That seems to help sometimes. It is by no means a fix but it worked for me when I thought all was lost. I just thought I would mention that it.

Comment

Same problem

I bought two of these drives during the newegg sale. Both drives randomly disappear from bios. They disappear in an HP laptop(AMD IDE only), MSI laptop (Intel with AHCI and IDE), and my desktop(Gigabyte P45 AHCI and IDE). I managed to update one the drives to firmware 3.1, but the other is still 2.1 and it has become so unstable that I can't update it. Both drives have the same problem of disappearing during install, boot, or using windows.

I wish I had some solution to share. So far everything I have tried is of no use in resolving the issue. Even the mighty google has been no help. Where do we go from here with a company that has such limited customer support?

Comment

Originally posted by Donksgut View Post
                          I bought two of these drives during the newegg sale. Both drives randomly disappear from bios. They disappear in an HP laptop(AMD IDE only), MSI laptop (Intel with AHCI and IDE), and my desktop(Gigabyte P45 AHCI and IDE). I managed to update one the drives to firmware 3.1, but the other is still 2.1 and it has become so unstable that I can't update it. Both drives have the same problem of disappearing during install, boot, or using windows.

I wish I had some solution to share. So far everything I have tried is of no use in resolving the issue. Even the mighty google has been no help. Where do we go from here with a company that has such limited customer support?
                          I kind of doubt that the Jskill guys will have the answer. They do try their best and are very helpful most times but there is a language/cultural difference. Also I think this is a very strange problem to attempt to duplicate and isolate.

So for you, it happens on more than one system, both AMD and Intel. So what happens exactly? Are you even able to install OS or image? You say "randomly" disappear. Is that to say that you are able to boot them sometimes? Then they disappear (crash, freeze, etc.) while Windows is running? I am trying to see if we are experiencing the same thing or what. As I mentioned above, once I manage to load OS, everything works great. But if I re-boot, that is when the trouble starts.

This is a long shot but I am also wondering if there wasn't some kind of recent Windows update or something that contributed to this problem. In my case it started happening about a week ago. Before that, it wasn't a problem.

Comment

Reply for nikldan

Thanks for the reply and questions. I would love to resolve this issue.

When I say random I mean random. The drives have disappear from a fresh start and are no longer listed in the bios, during the windows installation process, and even when using windows. It does seem that regardless of when they disappear, if I let the computers sit for a while they reappear, no action required on my part. I have tried resetting bios to factory defaults and resetting bios with the battery out by draining all power. Nothing seems to "fix" the problem. Yes they show up again for a time, but that is temporary and doesn't solve the problem. All previous spinning hdds work perfectly when put back in.

While these are my first sandforce ssds, I have installed and used quite a few ssds in the past. I am sure there is a lot for me to learn about this technology, but I have had great success with it in the past.

Comment

You guys are very lucky if can get drive appear again or show up after couples restart, reboot or other methods.
                              My two drives did't work and I tried all I can do, testing with Intel and AMD Desktop MB (ASUS, MSI, Biostar and Abit), clear CMOS, changing SATA cables, power connectors, changing the longest time to detect HDD couldn't make it work. BIOS screen shows no boot media or drive. Using USB external or eSATA also couldn't get them work under windows or Linux. I also try HP laptop (Intel) and MSI laptop (AMD with nvidia chipset) and all came with same result. When MB BIOS cannot find the drive, you cannot do anything including updating firmware or install OS.
                              Finally, I give up to test and ready to get replacement. However, it may be happened again even though for new replacement. I hope G.skill can find out root cause and provide solution soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X