Phoenix Pro 120GB, slow performance/boot times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Pro 120GB, slow performance/boot times

Hello I just recently purchased a Phoenix Pro 120GB and did a fresh install of windows 7, did not align the partition (I understand you don't have to with W7) and I made sure my sata mode was set to AHCI in bios before the install.

I have a gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AMD AM3+ mobo using the default microsoft preloaded ahci drivers. Am I correct in assuming that since my mobo is AMD that I cannot use the Intel matrix storage manager that is recommended?

I did all of the tweaks posted on the stickies in this forum, and my WEI is only 7.3 and my boot times are slower(55sec) than before with my 320gb WD Caviar blue. I know something is wrong I just don't know what.

Rest of specs include 8gb gskill ripjaw gaming series ram 1600, amd phenom II x4 945 3.0ghz quad core processor, windows 7 ultimate premium.

Any suggestions would be greatly helpful since I just spent 240.00 to get a performance loss at the moment.

Me Too!

Hey,
    I just posted right behind you on the board. I am having the same problem I'm also AMD with a 955 and a gigabyte 790fx-ud5 motherboard. Hope we find some help!

Read my post for more info.

Can you let me know if you find a solution, and I will do the same.

Thanks,

Shane799

Comment

Hi shane, I resolved the windows load times by this:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...d-win7-64.aspx

download the amd ahci driver and the southbridge driver from there near the bottom, cut my load times from 50+ sec to sub 20. it didnt seem to help my benchmark performance though:

here is my benchmark:

and gksills:

Comment

Thanks

Hey,
        Yeah the preformance numbers don't look right do they! I have not benched mine. My window experience number for the drive is 7.5 I do have the smaller drive though and preformance is supposed to vary from size to size.

Question for you from what I have learned in the last week. Did you turn on the AHCI in your bios prior to installation? Or did you go back later?

Comment

my wei for hard disk is 7.6, I enabled AHCI mode in bios before installing w7.

Comment

Originally posted by Lardacus View Post
            Hi shane, I resolved the windows load times by this:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...d-win7-64.aspx

download the amd ahci driver and the southbridge driver from there near the bottom, cut my load times from 50+ sec to sub 20. it didnt seem to help my benchmark performance though:

here is my benchmark:

and gksills:
            Awesome! Thanks for the amd driver link. I was wondering why there are nothing but intel driver references/links/info etc.

Edit; I wonder why these drivers are on the "Motherboard/ Integrated Video Drivers" amd page. How did you stumble on to this?

Another edit; I just attempted to run the so-called "AHCI for Windows 7" exe and what it really wants to do it to install the gpu suite. I chose to "custom" install and it gave me the option of installing; catalyst control center, ati catalyst install manager, ati display driver, HDMI audio driver, and microsoft visual c++ which are all already installed and up to date. Nothing about AHCI.

BTW, I am also running 790fx chipset but am not experiencing 50+ second boots. I haven't timed my boots but I expected them to be a little faster than they are. They are definitely better than HDD but not quite the magic I was dreaming of.

AND another edit; I ran the sb installer and it offered to install all the same stuff as the so-called AHCI driver installer but also offered to install a "north bridge filter driver". I let it go ahead and install but under device manager, I am still showing the "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller".
            Are you showing the same?

Do any of you gskill guys know if there is an AMD AHCI driver?

Thanks!
            Last edited by nikldan; 10-21-2010, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I have the non pro version and have followed the guides.

Comment

Could any admin shed any light on why my 4k's are way below the advertised speeds?

I have done everything I know to do:

AHCI in Bios pre-Windows 7 install
                Newest AMD AHCI drivers
                Latest firmware
                Performed all tweaks posted on these forums

My setup:
                AMD Phenom II x4 945 quad @ 3.0ghz
                Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AMD AM3+
                8gb 1600 G. Skill Ripjaw gaming series ram
                Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate

Am I just limited by my current motherboard? Like am I performing at the cap that this mobo can perform at? I really can't think of anything else. Wish I had an intel mobo so I could use the suggested ICHR/Intel matrix storage stuff =/

Comment

Lardacus

How did you install the AMD ahci drivers? I downloaded them but the installer just wanted to install a gpu driver package. No mention of ahci drivers. THanks.

Comment

Just go to http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...d-win7-64.aspx

Scroll to the bottom the one that says AHCI for Windows 7, click the DOWNLOAD button UNDER the warning. Download and install.

On the same page look for the one that says TITLE SOUTHBRIDGE DRIVER, once again click the DOWNLOAD button UNDERNEATH it.

During your install Catalyst Install Suite thing will open to install the AHCI/South Bridge drivers but it will not actually install any GPU drivers.

It will only install GPU drivers if you downloaded the Full Catalyst Software Suite at the top (don't).

Obviously if you aren't using Windows 7 64-bit go to http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...downloads.aspx and look on the top right under Motherboard/Integrated Video Drivers and choose your OS and follow the corresponding links.
                    Last edited by Lardacus; 10-22-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lardacus View Post
                      Just go to http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...d-win7-64.aspx

Scroll to the bottom the one that says AHCI for Windows 7, click the DOWNLOAD button UNDER the warning. Download and install.

On the same page look for the one that says TITLE SOUTHBRIDGE DRIVER, once again click the DOWNLOAD button UNDERNEATH it.

During your install Catalyst Install Suite thing will open to install the AHCI/South Bridge drivers but it will not actually install any GPU drivers.

It will only install GPU drivers if you downloaded the Full Catalyst Software Suite at the top (don't).

Obviously if you aren't using Windows 7 64-bit go to http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...downloads.aspx and look on the top right under Motherboard/Integrated Video Drivers and choose your OS and follow the corresponding links.
                      Thanks for the info. I followed all the steps you described but I am still not convinced that I have AHCI drivers from AMD. This is what my device mgr shows after running the AMD installers;

Does yours show something different? How do you know you are running AMD AHCI drivers? THanks again. I realize you came here looking for answers and now end up giving them.

Comment

thats what my device manager shows, it doesn't say AMD AHCI just AMD Sata controller, not sure if that makes a difference I still am not entirely sure I've fixed anything other than Windows boot times on my end.

Comment

Thanks for responding. Now I am even more confused. My device mgr doesn't show amd sata controller like yours does but it does show a bunch of seemingly duplicate ata channels. Another can of worms...

Comment

Guys,

Some things to think about with AMD.

-From what I have read the AMD driver in AHCI does not allow trim to function
                            -Your best choice in Win7 is the stock Microsoft AHCI driver
                            -Do not use crystal disk or AS SSD benchmarks
                            -They use compressed data which screws with the sandforce controller

Lots of reading about the subject here:

Sandforce Thread

In most uses the sandforce controller is ripping fast. In some instances it is not as fast as my Summit drive with a samsung controller
                            Last edited by Undersea; 10-23-2010, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Undersea View Post
                              Guys,

Some things to think about with AMD.

-From what I have read the AMD driver in AHCI does not allow trim to function
                              -Your best choice in Win7 is the stock Microsoft AHCI driver
                              -Do not use crystal disk or AS SSD benchmarks
                              -They use compressed data which screws with the sandforce controller

Lots of reading about the subject here:

Sandforce Thread

In most uses the sandforce controller is ripping fast. In some instances it is not as fast as my Summit drive with a samsung controller
                              Thanks for the info and link. Gonna go read it now..

Comment

Working...
                              X