G.Skills Ripjaws F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH and GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skills Ripjaws F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH and GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

I've been helping a couple of people at the Tom's Hardware Forum with Gigabyte's GA-MA790FXT-UD5P and 1600 speed RAM. Both have 955 CPUs. In addition, there's a comment at NewEgg for this same RipJaws involving this board/CPU combo.

First, are you aware of any real problems with the Gigabyte 790FXT and 1600 RAM? Its specs state ability to handle 1666 with AM3 processors so there shouldn't be a problem with the AMD Phenom II x4 955.
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products...-MA790FXT-UD5P

Specifically, can you post the FULL SPD info for this RAM. Not just 7-7-7-24 @ 1.65V but all the other settings. I made another thread requesting this info on ALL modules to be made available, but for now, I could really use this.

Thanks!

We do not list FULL SPD values because they can differ from motherboard and memory. These parts are mass produced therefore they may not all be exactly the same. With the minimum settings that we do state, the motherboard should be able to automatically pick up the rest.

Advanced Timings are exactly that because they are there for fine tuners or overclockers that are able to identify the perfect values for their specific hardware.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

How can the SPD data vary with a motherboard? The chip gets re-written somehow? That isn't true and doesn't make any sense. If I put the same module in 10 different motherboards and run Memset on them - I'll get the exact same results for the saved data, the SPD, implanted on the RAM module.

That doesn't mean that all motherboards will work the same or as well with the SPD data - but that data's wired into the SPD byte on the module. A particular motherboard might set different Auto settings but that's its reaction to reading the SPD.

So you're saying that G.Skill might change the SPD, without changing the basic numbers or the model number, whenever a run of modules varies a bit?

If a user sends the S/N for a particular module, can you give them the SPD for it?
      Last edited by Mongo; 10-14-2009, 07:01 AM.

Comment

No, what I mean is the memory itself has a certain minimum SPD value that it should operate at but not all motherboards will be able to operate with those exact specifications hence the need to use different values.

If you'd like, tell me the motherboard and memory model number and I can give you the ideal values.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

RipJaws F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH and Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

I've had several users have trouble running Memset on this motherboard, which prevents them from viewing the SPD fully. CPUz does read the SPD, but gives limited amt of timings.

One user reports that the SPD is showing 9's at 1600 on the SPD, which doesn't seem likley. More likely the board is assigning Auto settings of 9's. I'd like to get the actual SPD info so that I can step them thru the full BIOS DRAM settings, similar to your guides.

BTW, those guides are great. But they don't appear when a user first enters the forum, in fact aren't visible at all unless they begin from:
          http://www.gskill.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
          rather than normal front page of the forums here:
          http://www.gskill.us/forum/
          So I doubt that many users ever find them.
          Last edited by Mongo; 10-14-2009, 09:26 AM.

Comment

They may pick up at 9, which is why we require people to manually set them to their rated specifications. SPD values are the loosest values available for the memory to operate at. That is why there are XMP Profiles to automatically make those adjustments.

When you click on DDR3 or 2, it is the first thing to show up. It is a sub forum in the specific memory section. It is kind of blended since I'm sure people go straight to the obvious threads available, so I see how people can miss it.

DDR3 Timings Items - Manual
            8T
            7T
            7T
            24T
            2T
            6T
            110ns
            110ns
            110ns
            110ns
            10T
            3T
            33T

The issue they are having is because AMD platforms can't run CL7 on all motherboards. Keep checking the BIOS updates as many companies are doing their best to update ASAP. Depending on CPU (especially 955), SB/HT Voltage will need to be at 1.40V. Other than that, with the correct settings DDR3-1600, CPU set correctly, it should work properly.

You may need to try 8-8-8-24, unfortunately it is a trial and error case since it is dependent on the motherboard and processor. I can prove this because I can easily pop these in to a Maximus III P55 motherboard with the rated specifications and fire it right up. It's difficult being the memory company, we get blamed for things not in our control. =P

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT
            Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 10-14-2009, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I will pass on these numbers.

The confusion, if any, regarding this RAM and the SPD comes from the fact that they are marketed as being 7-7-7-24 modules, so reasonable people would expect that to be the Automatic setting once you get the voltage and speed set properly. They don't seem to have this value available however.

They do seem to operate fine for most folks as 8-7-7-24 and folks seem to find this figure on their own, so it must be in the SPD. But both internally at G.Skill and at sales sites, they are advertised as being, clear and simply, CL=7 RAM with 7-7-7-24 timings.
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231279

For a user who wishes to achieve the 7-7-7-24, what are your further suggestions? SB/HT voltage at 1.40. What about the DRAM voltage - increase to 1.7 or more?

Comment

No one should expect AUTO settings to work unless they are operating memory that is the JEDEC maximum standard or lower for their motherboard. If a motherboard maximum default is DDR3-1333, you can't expect it to pick up DDR3-1600+ timings correctly. Hence the reason why most motherboards provide lax timings such as 9-9-9-24. As a result, all memory modules above the maximum standard must be manually configured or an XMP Profile must be used.

The memory is advertised as 7-7-7-24, but it clearly states for P55 platforms only, not AMD AM3. Notice others will state "and AMD AM3" while this one does not. We will be clarifying this further, but by then most motherboard companies hopefully should have updates to operate CL7 on AMD platforms.

It is a BIOS issue, not BIOS settings issue.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

OK Thanks!

For a user who wishes to achieve the 7-7-7-24, what are your further suggestions? SB/HT voltage at 1.40. What about the DRAM voltage - increase to 1.7 or more?

Comment

1.7 would be okay (like with CPUs, RAM has some wiggle room above whatever it's rated for, normally .1 to .2, some even more.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

1.65V is more than enough. The new RipJaws don't require overvoltage. The CL7 restriction is is a motherboard BIOS limitation.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                      X