F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL, different specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL, different specs

So I have bought 2 sets of the above mentioned memory back in september.

My computer would keep BSOD everytime I would use both sets at once, but never with only 1 set. memtest came out clean. Both sets would also not BSOD my friends computer, and I would not BSOD with my friends 2 sets Kingston memory (also 2 sets of 2x4GB)

My mobo is a MSI, his was an ASUS. People on MSI forum reported that they know G.Skill uses custom SPD in order to maximize performance and compatibility with ASUS motherboards, hence why it would work on my friends computer.

Anyway, RMA'ed my 2 sets and received back a replacement. To my disappointment this replacement was not a factory matched pair as I requested and have been told to request, since it would increase my chances not to have BSOD problems with the replacement.

Anyway, luckily I have yet to experience a BSOD (still to early to tell, it's been only several days). However, I have noticed that this memory settings is different than my original set.

As mentioned, this replacement is also the same, 2 sets of F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL. However, they were manufactured in Nov (my previous one was Sept if not mistaken).

First difference is that the XMP profile is reported at 9-9-9-25 in CPU-Z. Second, the default tRFC is 208, while originally it was 128. I cannot tell if there were any other differences as only these 2 settings were the one I noticed and remembered.

So I was wondering why the difference? Did G.Skill realised the original timings were causing problems hence why the change in the newer revision? But aren't these memory specs out for a few years now?

The reason is the ICs used on your original kit are probably no longer in production by the manufacturer so G.SKILL had to use something else or discontinue the kit alltogether.

If you now still have two kits with different timings in XMP, just try to apply the settings from the one with the less tight timings (= higher tRFC, tRAS...). If you cannot select which profile to enable try to swap the modules around and try again.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Hi. The problem wasn't that the XMP settings don't match. Is just they are now changed from my previous.

I have received 2 sets as replacement for my previous 2 sets which I RMA'ed.

I was wondering if its just normal for the default settings to be changed in matters of a few months in between, or if maybe this set was more "customized" due to my problem. Tho I doubt anyone at G.Skill actually uploaded a custom SPD profile just for me.

The biggest difference ist he tRFC, which is now 208 (for both sets). My original set had 128.

Comment

The different tRFC is related to the new ICs on the replacements (those are probably single sided sticks).

Comment

Its hard to see because of the heatsink, but I did notice the color to be a lot more "green" of the PCB. Shining a flashlight it looks what appears to be 1 sided (it still has some sort of continuous black strip on one side, but it does not look to have IC's spread apart like on the other side). I did not check to see if this was similiar in the 2 sets I have RMA'ed

I did a bit of research on the internet, mainly from old articles and forum posts, and it seems a 1 sided option is better and more "stable".

Apparently this guy had similar problems with mine: https://communities.intel.com/thread/43812
          Crashed with all DIMM populated but not with 2. He switched to 1 sided and was stable.

I wonder if I email G.Skill Tech if they would be able to tell me if they are 1 or 2 sided by giving them the serial number

Comment

From the bottom of the module you should be able to see the chips, if i remember correctly from my own RipjawsX. However even if their double sided, basically all chips available on the market today clear this kits specifications. So it could be anything used on the newer kit. My guess is based upon a higher tRFC being a trademark of 4Gbit ICs when compared to their 2GBit counterparts.

Comment

Working...
            X