Trident X removable heat fin is NOT removable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident X removable heat fin is NOT removable

I received my G.Skill Trident X series DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 16GB (2x8GB) RAM (F3-1866C8D-16GTX) from Newegg.com today.

This particular ram is advertised as having a removable top heat fin. The manufacturer's directions for removing this are as follows:

1) Unscrew retaining screws at both ends of the heatsink
    2) Remove red fiber washers
    3) Slide heat fin off.

Simple enough. However, when I tried to slide the heat fin off, NOTHING HAPPENED. It wouldn't budge at all. I contacted GSkill's USA tech support (1-9095986860) and they told me after removing both screws, the heat fin should slide right off. I kept at it, carefully manipulating the memory kit for the better part of an hour. My hands were cut by the sharp edges of the fin.

In despair, I tried hammering the heat fin to remove it. One popped right off...good enough. The last one completely blew up. The heat sink itself (the black wrap around part) slid off, taking off two of the RAM modules. The "removable" heat fin is STILL stuck to the other half of the heat sink. It STILL will not slide off.

I destroyed my RAM, but that was as the direct, proximal consequence of GSkill's manufacturing process. The heat fin should slide off without any force. The fact that it still won't slide off even after the application of force points to a manufacturing error.

Now, the question is what are my options?

GSkill phone tech support is pretty unhelpful.

Advice would be appreciated, thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/bJp0Q.jpg - on the left is the "successfully" removed heat fin. On the right is the destroyed one. Notice the heat fin still hanging on for dear life. You can see the stripped RAM modules.

I'd contact rma@gskillusa.com and explain what happened and see what they will do

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Wow, that's odd from GSkill. I was considering a set of those but think I'll pass for now.
      I think they would do well to ship them without the fins attached so one could install them if desired. It seems a lot of RAM has gargantuan heatsinks, which are only for bling, they aren't needed. At least I haven't heard of overheating RAM.
      I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Comment

I have submitted a RMA request to GSkill per Tradesman's suggestion.

http://www.gskill.com/marketing/design01.jpg

This is what the removable heat fins were marketed as.

Phone tech support stated that it should "slide right off" as well. No force necessary.

I have no idea if this is endemic to all Trident X series RAM kits, or maybe I just got a poorly manufactured set.

First I tugged at it with my bare hands for almost an hour...didn't want to hurt such expensive RAM. then I started tapping with a screwdriver. Then came the hammer, which ultimately damaged the RAM.

Yes, I physically damaged the RAM, but it was defective in the first place. I shouldn't have had to use any force at all.

At this time, I cannot recommend purchasing this series of RAM if you use a large aftermarket CPU cooler. I guess it is a poor copy of Corsair's removable heat fins from their Dominator line.

I hope my RMA for RAM that works as advertised is settled in a satisfactory manner. This left a really bad taste in my mouth...my computer is all ready to go and everything is working smooth (borrowed 8gb RAM from my brother's 16GB)...except the stupid RAM.

Comment

Don't know, I'm running the 32GB/2400 set of Tridents and have removed the fins a number of times (to demonstrate to clients) have als done a number of builds with sets of them and in a few cases, have removed fins depending on the CPU cooler and never had a problem....then again I've only run into a couple of bad sticks out of a few hundred or so over the last few years, so I can imagine a bad heatsink or two wqill pop up

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm sure it's a good kit of ram other than the poorly machined heat fin.

Really says something about the machining when the weak point isnt the heat fin that is supposed to slide off, but the RAM module itself haha.

Tradesman: in your experience, how long does the RMA process take?

Comment

Generally they are sent out within a couple days of getting them in, I'd say I've gone through well over a couple hundred sticks and only had to RMA a couple...there are occasions when they might not have a particular set in stock, but from what I've seen and heard it's rare.

Tman

Comment

Hi,

I recently purchased a set of TridentX DIMMS. I also have been unable to remove both screws securing the heatsink fin. It appears the screws have been over tightened. One came off fine but the other was too tight. As a result I ended up stripping the screw. I haven't even gotten to the stage of sliding the fin off. Now I am stuck with a product that will not fit under the cooling assembly.

Regards

Belgario

Comment

belgario,

Send it in for RMA exchange and we will send you a kit that should not have that issue.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

@PenguiNet

Good day,

With regards to your issue, may I ask whether anybody got back to you explaining what options you had, please? Care to share them?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
                    Confused2013

Comment

Believe it was just a straight RMA, I've used a few sets of Tridents since then (along w/ the before and during sets) with no issues. Have been pulling fins off myself to see if I could find a problem, none so far

Tman

Comment

Hello Tradesman,

Thank you for your reply. The reason I am asking is simply because I've had a similar outcome with one of my RAM modules however funnily enough this happened while I was actually removing the module from its packaging.

It is true that this module was slightly harder to get out than the rest but I wasn't expecting it to give way so easily, especially when considering that there is logically only so much force you can apply to extract a module from its packaging.

My problem now is that it took me 9 months to discover this. I only used two out of the four modules present from the group due to the setup I was running. When RMAing, I was informed that warranty is void since usually such stuff is reported within an acceptable 30 days of purchase hence I am stuck with a damaged module and another one which I cannot make proper use of with my Duel Channel architecture, effectively reducing me to use 8GB from my 16GB set.

I was wondering whether there are any alternatives of getting a replacement for broken modules. It would really be a waste for me if I cannot make use of the full potential of the set. I cannot complain on the performance of the two modules I have been using so far.

Thanks,
                        Confused2013

Comment

Let me see if I can find out anything, did you check for RMA through your e/re-tailer or through GSkill? Also could you post a couple of images of the stick? Will try to get back to you this PM (I'm on PST, US)

Tman

Comment

Hello Tradesman,

Once again, a big thank you for your interest as well as for your help. To answer your question, I have first tried my retailer (non local) who informed me that in such cases it would be more advisable to contact the manufacturer directly due to the time period elapsed since the purchase date (May 2012). As a result of this, I contacted the European RMA support since Europe is my continent of origin.

With regards to images, I will try taking some pictures tomorrow morning (camera battery is at the moment dead I'm afraid) and will link them in my next post. (I'm on GMT +1).

Wishing you a good day.

Regards,
                            Confused2013

Comment

All right, I sent a message out to see what I can find, but not positive when I'll hear back...will keep you updated

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X