[ TridentX ] F3-2400C10D-8GTX + Asus P8Z77-V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ TridentX ] F3-2400C10D-8GTX + Asus P8Z77-V

Hi. I have a couple of questions about the Trident X F3-2400C10D-8GTX. I recently ordered those, Asus P8Z77-V mainboard and a Intel Core i7 2700K. I noticed on G.Skill site that only: P8Z77-V DELUXE, P8Z77-V PRO, P8Z77-V LX and P8Z77-V LE are listed as qualified. So to my questions:

1. Is there a compatibility issue with the "P8Z77-V" mainboard?

2. If need be, due to spacing problems on the mainboard with aftermarket cooler (Noctua), can I run the memory sticks with the cooling fins removed? And if so, what limitatations would that put on the memory clocks?

Have good news and bad news (maybe), will start with the little (maybe) bad (which to a degree also has a decent side). Bad is you've got 2400 sticks and a 2700K....most of the 2nd Gen 25/26/2700K CPUs can't handle 2400 normally...although I have been able to get a few 2700Ks to run 2400 (very few), like many things there are some 'really good' 2700Ks, some really bad, then there's the norm 2700K (same with DRAM of the same model, some sets perform/OC better than others). So make sure you have the latest BIOS, and give them a try under XMP, using profile 1. If no joy, they should run fine at 2133/2200 or so with tighter timings (might start at 9-11-11-30).

As far as being 'qualified', might want to read my info thread on QVLs, they are very over-rated and pretty much worthless, that thread is here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Should not be an issue other than possibly the CPU's ability to carry 2400.

Yes, the cooling fins can be removed - look for the small screws on either side, about the same height as the top of the DIMM proper

Hope I covered everything, if not give another shout

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply. Not really bad news, I?m totally fine running them at 2200, and tighter timings isn?t bad either.
      I Noticed SPD 1600 @ 1.5V, running them at 2133/2200 will require 1.65V right?
      Will removing the top cooling fin affect the heat much? I will be using the Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler which extends above the DIMMS, and should provide some additional cooling on the DIMMS.

Comment

I'm running 32GB of the 2400 Tridents, and tried with the fins off, no real appreciable diff. At 2133/2200 might try running 1.60

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X