Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst RAM experience ever - help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst RAM experience ever - help please?

I would love some help figuring this out. I am using F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
    in a Biostar A880G+ with a Phenom II x4 960T Zosma. I am having a crazy time with this ram. So far the only way I can run somewhat stable (no BSOD in 5 hr) is to set it at 1066 with 8-8-8-24-2T in ganged mode. Anything else and I get BSODs every 15 min. It will not run at the stock 9-9-9-24-2T at 1333 in dual channel mode as advertised. This exact ram kit is listed on the MB's site as tested and approved. I have tested the ram with memtest86 and Windows memory diagnostics every which way possible for up to 10 passes at a time. No errors. I can run Prime95 as long as I dare with the stock cooler (20 min.) with no errors. Drivers, chkdsk, scannow, etc. all good. I'm thinking I need to RMA this ram correct?
    This MB only has 2 slots and 8gb is max. I also have the CPU-NB voltage bumped up .5 to 1.2v. Is there anything else I can do?

Do you have the latest BIOS? can be found here:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/...S_ID=492&tab=2

With the BioStar mobo may have to take DRAM up a bit (1.55), also CPU/NB may have to also go up for the 8GB 1.25 or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your swift reply. Yes Bios is up to date. This is a new build and that's the first thing I do. I've had the memory voltage up to 1.6v with no luck. It only gives me 1v increments. I can try taking the cpu-nb up more.

Comment

Might also check CR (command rate, command timing) and see if that is defaulting to 1N, if so may try 2N (or 2T if it's using the T)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

On auto the bios sets it at DDR1333 9-9-9-24-1T at 1.6v. I changed it to 2T and 1.5v from the very beginning. Obviously stock specs was the first thing I tried. That did not work for me. Either one.

Comment

I'd go ahead and try raising the CPU/NB then

Tman

Comment

Just to be clear you are suggesting I set them at DDR-1333 9-9-9-24-2T at 1.5v with the CPU-NB around 1.25 correct? Would the only change being the CPU-NB really make a difference like that? Because with those exact settings but with CPU-NB at stock (1.1v) the system is unusable. I would not have realized it would make that much of a difference. I will try it out and report back. Thank you!

Comment

Can yes, the CPU/NB voltage is what handles the MC (memory controller) and AMD has weak MCs (compared to Intel. Might need to raise DRAM voltage some also, but would start with CP/NB and if it works and stabilizes things, then can try dropping it .01 at a time while maintaining stability

Tman

Comment

Well no luck. I ran stock settings and bumped the CPU-NB up to 1.25 and BSOD in a half hour. Raised the memory voltage to 1.6v with no changes anywhere else and BSOD. Still in single channel btw. The longest I ran without BSOD is when I was at 1066 and 88824. Maybe I just have to live with 1066? Makes no sense.

Comment

Will drop GSkill a line to see if they can take a look, I haven't worked with the 960, but would think it should be fine with the sticks. Could you post your BIOS settings for GSkill (or me) to have a look.

Tman

Comment

Which slots are they installed in? You say they are in single channel, is that while they are installed in dual channel slots? Or are they installed in single channel slots?

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X