Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is F1-3200PHU1-1GBNT compatible with Nforce2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is F1-3200PHU1-1GBNT compatible with Nforce2?

Hello.
    I had to upgrade the ram on this Socket A motherboard based on Nvidia Nforce2 400 Ultra chipset, the Epox 8RDA6+ Pro with already the latest bios available installed, so I bought a pair of F1-3200PHU1-1GBNT sticks, thinking it would be fine since they are ddr1 400, 1 gb size.
    I'm a nice skilled pc technician so I know about most of the issues hardware could get, so I normally try memory sticks alone and in every slot to be sure they are fine, prior to install all of the sticks and/or just the dual channel slots: so I tried to install one stick at a time and the motherboard doesn't even P.O.S.T., either with only one stick and with both in every possible configuration (i.e. two sticks in single and dual channel).
    The motherboard were running fine with either a Kingston dimm and a Crucial one, both ddr400 1 gb, alone and even mixed (but not in dual channel, naturally).
    The CPU installed is a Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core 333 MHz FSB, the motherboard were set to run CPU at his FSB and the RAM following the SPD parameters that set them to 400 MHz, so it were async between them, but I recall to have tried even to set the ram to Auto that syncronize fsb and ram freq. all to no avail, so no POST again (naturally the setting I did, was with the working ram before changing it!).
    Luckily the shop where I purchased them refunded me partially (half in money and the other half on a bonus note) so I went to another shop and purchased another Crucial 1gb sitck, that went fine in dual channel with his sibling stick I got weeks ago, but I'm still wondering if this is a known issue so to say if this model isn't compatible with this chipset or even only with this motherboard.
    Can anyone answer and maybe explain me?
    Thank you in advance.

I'm not familiar with the mobo, but may need additional MC (Memory Controller) voltage (sorry can't think of what the nVidia boards call it, most AMD mobos term it CP/NB or to that effect. may also need higher DRAM voltage

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your answer.
      I'm not sure to understand what you mean: actually on Nforce2 chipset, the Memory Controller is integrated in the chipset (and not in the cpu as in k8 and later systems), so that it means that I should rise chipset voltage? And maybe DDR/DRAM vcc too?
      That's pretty weird, it didn't need anything like that on the other 2 brands of DDR Ram...
      When I'll get that mobo back maybe I'll try it but I don't have the sticks anymore. Maybe I'll purchase them again and test them on other rigs...
      Thanks again anyway.
      See you soon.

Comment

Missed you somehow, yes raising the voltage to the Chipset, with Intel like the 775 mobos the MC is the NB (Northbridge), here it's the nVidia chipset. Keep in touch

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'd try it next time, thanks. Keep in touch too

Comment

I'm in and out every day, especially now, I manage the new user signups also, and apparently Eastern Eurpoe/Russia etc have just discovered this site, have had over 300 'known' Spammers try to join the forums here in the last few days

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X