Issue with new F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with new F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS

I just purchased a set of G.Skill memory for an older system and I am having problems getting the system to run at the settings it had before I installed the new G.Skill.

Model of the motherboard:Gigabyte GA-8INXP Intel socket 478
    Model of the memory:F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS
    Model of the CPU:Intel P4 2.66GHz (20 x 133fsb)

This motherboard has 4 dimm slots that support up to 4GB memory. The memory I replaced was a total of 1GB, which was 4 256MB sticks of PC-3200 DDR400 Low Latency 2-2-2-5 memory. I ran a mild overclock of 3GHz (150fsb, up from the stock 133) for several years with no issues. I wanted to up my memory to 2GB and purchased the G.Skill.

The problem is that the G.Skill will not run at the 150fsb setting. It will not boot into Windows XP at that setting and I have to go back into bios to change back to 133 to get it to work. CPU-Z states that the timings on the G.Skill at the 133fsb speed are 2.5-2-2-5. This memory should easily do a 150fsb as it is rated to do 200MHz fsb at 2.5-3-3-6 @ 2.7v I ran Memtest on each stick and as a set and came back with no errors. Any thoughts on what I can do? I don't want to return the memory, but I need it to do the 150fsb.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS and with 4 1 GB sticks will need to raise the NB voltage, if no joy there may need to loosen the timings a bit

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I only have 2- 1GB sticks installed, not 4. The 4 sticks, 256MB/stick, were the old memory. The G.Skill is a 2 stick set. With the previous 4 stick setup I actually did not need to raise the NB voltage. Any ideas why this G.Skill won't do the 150MHz fsb?

Comment

Misread it, but still with 2GB installed, it will still require more NB voltage than 1GB did

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

No way to put more NB voltage in. There is no setting for it in the bios. Only dimm, agp, and cpu voltages.

Comment

Is the G.Skill memory I have Low Density or High Density modules?

Comment

Low Density, did you raise DRAM Voltage 2.75V?

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes. I tried both 2.7v and 2.8v. I have a family member with an older system also, and they have the exact same memory. Their system has an Asus P4B266 mobo, an Intel P4 1.6GHZ (16x 100fsb), and the same G.Skill ram. On their rig today, I set the fsb:memory strap to 3:4, set the fsb to 113 which made the memory a 150fsb and it ran fine. It appears that the G.Skill modules will run at 2.5-2-2-5 timings up to a 133fsb and after that go to the 2.5-3-3-6 that they are rated for. That is what they were at the when running at 150fsb. Seeing this leads me to think that I have a bad set of G.Skill and need to exchange them for another pair to try because they will in fact run at a 150fsb, but not mine.

Comment

How can you determine if the SPD on a set of memory modules is functioning properly? If it is not, what kind of issues would come out as a result?

Comment

The mobo's rated to 266 DRAM so running 400 sticks might not work with more voltage or possibly dropping DRAM speed and tightening timings

Tman

Comment

It turns out that the memory is in fact bad and needs to be returned for replacement. I took my computer to my relatives house that also has an older system and the exact same G.Skill memory. I put their memory into my system and it started right up at the 150fsb setting that my new memory would hard lock the bios at. An RMA is in order.

Comment

If within the time limit of your re-e-tailer can go through them or contact GSkill at rma@gskillusa.com or rma@gskill.com

Tman

Comment

A quick update--- I returned the memory to the e-tailer and received the replacement today and it is doing the same thing as the first kit. It will not boot at any fsb above 133. At 150 fsb it will not boot/ lock the bios. I think G.Skill needs to look into this as I find it hard to believe that I just happened to get two consecutive bad kits. On the silver stickers on the modules, it has March 2012 on them, so I assume that these were just manufactured? I think G.Skill may have a production problem with the DDR memory? What do you suggest I do at this point?

Comment

Have you tried dropping the speed and tightening the timings? Also, I'll drop Gskill a note and see if they can take another look

Tman

Comment

There is no way to manually tighten the timings in this bios. I have it set at a 133fsb, and at that speed the G.Skill memory, according to CPU-Z, is operating at 2.5-2-2-5. This memory is rated to run at a 200fsb @ 2.5-3-3-6, so it appears that it automatically tightens the timings when run below the rated 200MHz fsb. If not for the fact that my relative also has an older system with the exact same memory that was purchased 1.5-2 years ago and runs fine at 150fsb in both their system, as well as MINE, I would have thought the issue was with my motherboard or bios, but it is with the memory.

Comment

Working...
                              X