Setting Up 4000mhz RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up 4000mhz RAM

What's the trick to doing it? I have a F4-4000C18D-16GTZKW kit. I have learned that G.Skill's official response is that with the XMP profile, that simply allows you to boot into Windows and does NOT mean it's stable. I am a little confused why I paid so much extra for this RAM.

We do not have that motherboard rated capable of 4133, only 3733. Note that motherboard manufacturer QVLs do not imply the motherboard is fully capable of the full specs of a memory kit. Typically, it only means the RAM can boot up. The G.Skill QVL shows which combinations we have tested to be fully capable of the RAM specifications, so in the future, it is best to follow the G.Skill QVL.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/overclockin...nt_z_4133_xmp/

With that, how am I supposed to get what I paid for? I kind of feel cheated right now. Not nessarily by G.Skill directly, but all companies that produce high mhz RAM and do not blantantly say, you'll have to overclock the RAM with additional settings in the BIOS. In retrospect, I think I would have rather gone with a recommended 2666mhz kit.

I have a 24/7 stable 4.9ghz overclock on my 8700k. My motherboard is a z370That is when all RAM settings are set to Auto. Presently, I am going for a lower voltage on my OC and stress testing is happening as I type this, but I will work on the RAM next.

What I have tried is using the XMP profile with VCCIO @ 1.225 and VCCSA @ 1.25. That failed after 20 minutes of testing. I called G.Skill personally yesterday and they said try to move the RAM voltage from 1.35 to 1.45. I have not yet tried this.

What should I do to achieve my goal of 4000mhz with this RAM?
    Last edited by SightUp; 10-28-2017, 07:23 AM. Reason: Added link to quote.

Ask g.skill about the system configuration (motherboard+CPU+BIOS version) they used to achieve 4000MT/s. You have paid enough to get answers on all your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by SightUp View Post
      What should I do to achieve my goal of 4000mhz with this RAM?
      Adjusting VCCSA/IO and sometimes tertiary timings, if memory training fails on them during POST.

Like suggested raising Vdimm and DRAM boot voltage might also help. The adjustments necessary vary from one MB model to another and you did not state which model you are using, so these are more general hints for using high speed memory.

We do not have that motherboard rated capable of 4133, only 3733. Note that motherboard manufacturer QVLs do not imply the motherboard is fully capable of the full specs of a memory kit. Typically, it only means the RAM can boot up. The G.Skill QVL shows which combinations we have tested to be fully capable of the RAM specifications, so in the future, it is best to follow the G.Skill QVL.
      Originally posted by SightUp View Post
      With that, how am I supposed to get what I paid for? I kind of feel cheated right now. Not nessarily by G.Skill directly, but all companies that produce high mhz RAM and do not blantantly say, you'll have to overclock the RAM with additional settings in the BIOS.
      Sounds like G.SKILL only certified kits up to 3733 for your MB, while ASUS also listed higher rated kits. In that case, the memory should have no issues running at its rated specs on any board from the G.SKILL QVL. What ASUS states at maximum memory frequency for a certain model is not always supported via XMP-auto settings and this seems to be one of these cases. So if anything you would have to ask ASUS how excatly they successfully tested the kit.

The F4-4000C18D-16GTZR @ XMP ran without issues on my ASUS ROG Maximus IX Apex, but my Gigabyte Z270 board can't handle anything over 3733/3866 with XMP-auto, even though it is capable of DDR4-4000 on full manual settings.
      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

With top level performance products, it is imperative to check which hardware combinations are officially certified to reach those extreme values, and there is no better list than the G.Skill QVL or RAM Configurator. DDR4-4000+ is pushing the limits of any platform, so only select few hardware will be capable. After all, it is essentially double the standard frequency DDR4-2133. Motherboard ratings may show the maximum capability of the chip set, but it does not mean the motherboard is actually capable, and it is unknown whether that capability is with single/multiple modules, and capacity. So make sure to do more research than just comparing the basic rating numbers.

If you have any uncertainty, or if you just want to confirm you are making the right decisions to achieve your target, please don't hesitate to shoot us a quick message to double check.

Again, the G.Skill QVL/RAM Configurator is a list of certified hardware combinations tested to be fully capable of the rated specs. It is the best list to follow if you want to be confident in reaching the rated values/capacity of the kits you pay for. To our knowledge, other QVL lists and such do not mean the same because each company has their own testing standards.
        Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 10-30-2017, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X