No announcement yet.

Issue with 16gb(4x4gb) of Ripjaws X Series F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM on GA-970A-DS3P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with 16gb(4x4gb) of Ripjaws X Series F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM on GA-970A-DS3P

Hi ,
    my pc configuration:
    cpu: AMD FX-8350
    mb: GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 1.0)
    ram: 16gb (4x4gb) DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Model F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM
    hard disk: SSD Samsung Evo 850 250gB

First my PC was running only on 8GB(2x4gb) of the above mentioned ram, it worked perfectly on XMP Profile 1 settings 1866 (933mhz), after that i thought to upgrade the ram so I bought other 8GB of the same sticks(2x4gb) to have total of 16.
    The problem is that my pc won't boot windows 10 with XMP Profile 1 and 2 set blue screen errors saying contact the administrator. But it does boot when XMP Profile 1 and 2 are disabled.
    I even tried manualy to edit the timings but then the bios won't even start.
    What do you suggest ?

PS: I didn't buy this ram to run it on 1600 and those timings with XMP disabled

If both kits were produced years apart, there might be differences in the secondary timings to allow for the change in ICs and/or IC density used on them. You can check that for yourself via Aida64 > Motherboard SPD and then compare the secondary XMP timings between the older and the newer modules.

If the newer kit actually needs more relaxed secondary timings, try the following:

1) install only the new kit
    2) enable the xmp in the bios / manually set the xmp settings from Aida64
    3) test for stability (Memtest86 7.2)
    4) add the older kit
    5) test for stability (Memtest86 7.2)

Usually the older lower density kits can run the timings of their newer higher density counterparts just fine. Command rate should be 2T and tRFC select the next higher value to what is stated in the XMP of the new kit, so if it is 240 set it to 300 (in contrast to Intel platforms on AMD there are no values between 90/110/160/300/350).
    Last edited by emissary42; 01-03-2017, 11:59 AM.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

I have print screened the timings I'm not an expert but i do see some difference in the numbers, i tried to boot with two sticks with xmp profiler they work fine , but with four they can't boot se atachments :/
      Attached Files

Comment

The XMP timings are not in the screenshots, you have to scroll down a bit too see them. But from the standard profiles i can already see, that the newer kit probably uses higher density ICs and the XMPs between both kits will likely differ as well.

Just give the procedure in #2 a shot and see if you can get them working together that way.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Buying another kit doesn't make it 4 x 4GB, it is two 2 x 4GB. XMP will not work because it is designed for 8GB, you need to attempt manual settings to see if it can work. That motherboard may not support full slots of 1866, you will need to boost CPU-NB Voltage. Also, try timings 9-9-9-24, I don't think two kits will run CL8. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            Buying another kit doesn't make it 4 x 4GB, it is two 2 x 4GB. XMP will not work because it is designed for 8GB, you need to attempt manual settings to see if it can work. That motherboard may not support full slots of 1866, you will need to boost CPU-NB Voltage. Also, try timings 9-9-9-24, I don't think two kits will run CL8. Let us know how it goes.
            By how much should i boost the voltage?

Comment

The most i get for them to work is 11-11-11-28 1600(800mhz) on kit is dual channel the other is single i guess something with my motherboard..

Comment

Originally posted by andrej15 View Post
                The most i get for them to work is 11-11-11-28 1600(800mhz) on kit is dual channel the other is single i guess something with my motherboard..
                The latest timings i managed are 9-9-9-24!
                Thanks for the support I've learned a few things about kits for the future
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X